“fantastic for honeymoon!”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Southern Ari Atoll
Schweiz
“fantastic for honeymoon!”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We visited maafushivaru in october 2011 for our honeymoon and were absolutely blown away. it exceeded our expectations and there is really nothing negative to say about this place. the island is just amazing, the staff super friendly, the food diverse and always great. We had a water villa facing the sunset (206). I strongly recommend - if possible - to go with an even numbered water villa as those are facing the sunset and offer more privacy. the house riff is just stunning and we also took advantage of the many excursions they offer. the spa is a dream and offers great relaxation. all in all, I would recommend maafushivaru to anyone who is looking for a great spot to relax for their honeymoon.

Room Tip: definitely go for the water villas. try to get an even numbered room as they are facing the sunset...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trav3ll3r123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed October 5, 2011

As other reviews have pointed out; it's pretty hard to add to the excellent reviews about Maafushivaru.....
My new Wife and I stayed here for ten days for our Honeymoon, at the beginning of September. I booked into a Beach Villa, which surpassed our expectations. Apart from already knowing the place by constantly looking at photos, reading reviews and talking to staff on their Facebook page....I was still amazed at how beautiful the island was.
I booked through Kuoni and flew via Dubai, which added a few hours, however, the flight to Male from Dubai was only 3 and half hours. So, you didn't have to wait too long. Our seaplane transfer was smooth, with a nice lounge overlooking the seaport. We waited for about an hour before the rest of the passengers turned up; however, we received complimentary water and cold towels whilst we waited.
The seaplane flight took about 30 mins with one drop off. The flight was great even though the plane was older than me!....Cracking views whilst you're flying, but you've prob seen the photos already.
We arrived at the hotel after being picked up from a small pontoon in the middle of the sea. We arrived to an extremely warm welcome (not just the weather) and were greeted with another cold towel and Watermelon cocktail. Checking in was very smooth and we were show to our room by the famous kuoni rep, Mark (who was brilliant and I ditto all remarks made about him in previous reviews).
Our Beach Villa was massive, with the biggest bed I've seen. Great entertainment area. Great bathroom with the outdoor shower...You won't use the one inside at all! And then we had our amazing view out the French doors. Ten steps and we had our own private beach...Villa 121 I think.
I had booked on a full board basis, but quickly decided to upgrade to all in based on previous reviews. This turned out to be the best move, as our bar bill for the first night hit $200 alone, without the bottles of water in your room. Just some advice...You'll save a lot of money if you upgrade before you get to the hotel (I did it a couple of days before). It cost me an extra £390, but when I worked out how much hotel charged it would have been c£550 extra!
I thought the food was lovely. Buffet style, but with lots of choice with themed nights. Lots of curry and Thai influences. The all inclusive drinks menu was massive. There were a couple of reviews saying it wasn't big enough; however, I counted about 50 cocktails you could have, as well as nice beer and house wine, which was really nice. The entire bar staff are great, very friendly and will have your drink waiting for you. You have one waiter for the duration of your stay and again very friendly. We tipped him as well as bar staff a little every other day.
Our complimentary massage was great. The sunset cruise was amazing and we got to see lots of dolphins, which was an added bonus! Highly recommend this.
I did book up the trip to the Atoll capital; however, the weather wasn't great for a few days and this was postponed, which was a shame. I also wanted to do the night fishing, but again the weather didn't help and on the good days there weren’t enough people to go, as they need at least 6 people before they go.
As I said the weather wasn't great for a few days. It's ok in the morning but then turned for the rest of the day. It was the official rainy season so I couldn't really get annoyed, but no matter where you go, you can't predict the weather. After talking to the staff our 10 days had seen the worst weather for a while, but there you go!
We hired a kayak over to the sister island, which, you've guessed it, was beautiful. You could walk around it in under 5 minutes and the snorkelling was far superior over here (at the end of the jetty). Highly recommend kayaking over...great fun!
We had our private dinner experience on our last night, after being postponed for a few nights. This, again, was lovely. I do have one gripe though.....it was a little too dark to see what you're eating. Although you knew what you've ordered, I just thought it was a little too dark...very romantic though....the girls will love it!
In conclusion this place is amazing, beautiful, relaxing and friendly. I really hope to get back here soon. I can't praise it enough....trust the other reviews, this place is one in a million and the staff are mostly responsible for this....they "make" the island and your holiday/honeymoon!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Egyphols
surrey
Reviewed October 2, 2011

What can I say that hasn't already been said by others. Fantastic holiday with wonderful memories and I wish I was there now. We stayed for two weeks and wish it had been three. It was everthing we had been hoping for and more. Small, intimate and totally relaxing. Not suitable for children which is what we wanted. I thought about nothing for two weeks and only read one of my six books.

All facilities are excellent and the rooms and all public areas are spotlessly clean. We were in beach villa 113 which is close to the dive centre and quite a nice spot, as long as you don’t mind the jetty being used by the locals for delivery of goods.

The staff are absolutely wonderful and go out of their way to make sure you want for nothing. A special mention here for the Duty Manager Manu, who pulled out all the stops to make sure I saw a stingray. Being a non swimmer, I couldn’t snorkel on the reef, however, at 6pm on our last day, Manu rushed to our villa to say there were two under the jetty. That made my holiday complete so a very big thank you Manu.
Kuoni rep Mark is the perfect host and always on hand if you need anything. Nothing is too much trouble. Our room boy Ahmed looked after us well and made sure toiletries and drinks were always replenished plus, he decorated our bed beautifully. Our waiter Samed also took part in the Maldivian night, singing and playing drums. What a lovely voice! Then there are the bar staff whom I personally hold responsible for making us feel a little delicate on a number of occasions. Long before you finish a drink, another magically appears! Seriously, they are all fantastic, make sure you have a good time and keep you entertained. Abdullah - Gary sends his best wishes and hopes you managed to find whale sharks! Thank you to all the people who work behind the scenes that you don’t get the opportunity to get to know, they work every bit as hard. The pastry chef Darshana makes the most delicious blueberry tart and hot chocolate pudding (which is to die for). In terms of food generally, I am inclined to agree with other reviewers. The food is good but I think there is too much choice when it comes to main dishes. I believe that quality would improve if the focus was on a smaller selection. The salad bar has plenty of choice and breakfast is also excellent catering for everyone.

The girls in the next villa (Sue & Brenda) were great fun and we shared a lot of laughs. I hope Kuoni haven't received any complaints about all the noise we made!

This holiday went beyond our expectations and we highly recommend Maafushivaru, you really won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan1insurrey
London
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My wife and I honeymooned in Maafushivaru last month and loved it!

Despite it being officially the rainy season we only had a couple of rainy days in a 14 night stay. The weather did get more overcast for the last couple of days, so maybe August was worse, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from going in early July if they're worried about weather.

The accommodation was fantastic, the food great and the all-inclusive package felt like very good value. We booked through Kuoni and everything was efficiently managed for us from beginning to end.

We were sorry to leave and are determined to go again (unusual for us!).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VS1711
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Maafushivaru lived up to the expectations based on previous reviews. The barefoot concept works (sand floor even in reception and the bar) which gives a very relaxed atmosphere. The resort attracts a range of European customers, mainly British. Italian, French and Swiss. Most of the guests are couples, but there are some families too. The public areas seem to have plenty of space. The resort was about 50% occupied when we were there, but even if full there would be plenty of space in the restaurant and bar areas.

The water villas are excellent, and worth the extra money even though the beach villas are a bit larger. The room is well furnished and very practical, with a comfortable bed. The air conditioning works well. There is a private area with sun loungers and steps into the lagoon.

The restaurant food is varied and good (and the comments about dry or overcooked fish were not true when we were there), although it would be good to see more local dishes. There was always fresh fruit, and always a choice of various meat, fish and vegetarian dishes.

Do take the all-inclusive package as extras can be expensive. The bar is great, with a wide range of excellent quality cocktails available in the inclusive package (only a few special drinks are not included).

The snorkelling in the lagoon from the villas is good, but much better is the house reef which is easily accessible just at the end of the jetty. The is also a free boat service to the very small sister island, Lonobu. This is also great for snorkelling and has sun loungers, umbrellas and basic facilities.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, although there needs to be some clarity around tipping. There is a 10% service charge on everything, but some staff had a tendency to hover in expectation of a tip.

The spa is good but expensive.

If you can't live without your laptop there is free wi-fi in the public areas, but there are better things to do in Maafushivaru than check your e-mail. There is good mobil phone reception.

There are thieves on the island - crows! Don't leave small items unattended outside!! Other than this we had a totally relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Choose a water villa, or a beach villa away from the reception area
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank MyReview186361
Oxford
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Amazing, beautiful, exotic, romantic, relaxing.....I could go on but ALL of these words sum up Maafushivaru. I spent many nights researching a new island having been to both Coco Palm islands (which were also amazing and worth trying). Finally, having spoken to several travel agents, I was convinced that Maaf was exactly what I was looking for...and they were spot on!!

Everything about our holiday was wonderful.....and this was quite simply due to the most amazing team - EVERY member of staff was a delight...nothing was too much trouble. I have visited many places and I have to say that the staff on Maaf were probably the best I have come across....a huge THANK YOU to you all.

The weather was amazing (even though it was low season), the food was excellent (yes, it was buffet style, but it was still very tasty well cooked food) and our accommodation was just perfect (room 114) and overall we had a fantastic time.

The only sore point was that all water sports had to be paid for even though the island is All Inclusive. Having said that, we spent a massive amount of time snorkelling, which was outstanding, so didn't need to make use of the water sports centre.

Suggestion: we booked out a dhoni for a full day (similar to the Island hopping trip), but just for the two of us. We had a skipper, the skipper's mate, a chef, a waiter and a snorkelling guide. We were taken on a deep sea snorkelling adventure, then on to a Robinson Crusoe Island where the chef cooked the most amazing meal, followed by another snorkelling trip. We were treated like royalty and it was quite simply out of this world. Thank you to the staff who made our day out so special. A definite must and absolutely not expensive.

Our recommendation............BOOK NOW!!........... You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidayloversOxford
Twickenham
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We went to the island on our honeymoon, it was everything we could have wished for and more! I have never felt compeled to write a review before, even though I always use tripadvisor-I felt I had to confirm all the other fantastic comments about the resort. It is truly "Robinson Crusoe" with 5 star luxury!
It balances the relaxed feel you want from the maldives with wonderful staff and beautifully decorated surroundings. I,m not going to go into too much detail as there are several reviews already showing this. To name just a few, from Mark who is the best rep we have ever encountered, to Tim the Operations Mgr who has a wonderful team who made our honeymoon. As many who have gone to the resort we have stayed in several lovely Hotels/Resorts, but no staff we have encountered match the team here....the Management should be extremly proud of what they have acheived here!!! Thank you to all the team we had an amazing honeymoon, and wished we could have stayed for at least another 2 weeks...2 weeks were definatly not enough.
We will be back.....

Room Tip: We stayed in a beach villa which was great, spacious clean and included lovely facilities.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple