“...a beach resort, or last resort?”

Primula Beach Hotel
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Kuala Terengganu
Kota Bharu, Malaysia
“...a beach resort, or last resort?”
Reviewed April 11, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 3 days and 2 nights. Was there with my wife and 2 kids.

First of all, I don't consider this place as a resort. More like a beach hotel. But, here are the whole experiences when I was there.

We book with the hotel about 3 weeks in advance, for the fact that it'll be a 4-day long weekend for the people of Kelantan (neighboring state, 3 hours drive from KT). Two days before our booking date, we receive a phone call from the hotel to confirm our reservation. The person who called informs us that the check-in time is at 2:00pm but encourage us to come in earlier. We told her that we would be there at 2:00.

Arrived at the hotel at 2:30pm. There are at least 4 "guests" standing around the counter, and we started to wonder why...Well, it turns out that all of them are waiting for their rooms. Not sure about others, but we were told that our room is not ready and it'll take another 1 hour to prepare it. Okay...This is not good. But we'll kill the time by strolling around their facilities. 3:30pm, went to the counter (no, they don't have that courtesy to inform us, we have to go back to them!). No, the room is not yet ready....3 enquiries later and 4:00pm, we got our key.

The kids, 18-months-old and 3-y-old, are tired. They are hot and sweaty. They need their diaper change. So that was the first thing that we did when we got there. And we gave them a shower. And then, we look around, NO TOWEL! Went to the phone to request one, and found out that THE PHONE DOESN'T WORK!

By now, I think I am entitled to be upset with the whole situation.

So, I went back to the counter...I wanted to see the manager, but he is not around. The concierge saw how upset I was. Instead of a new phone, he arranged a new room for us. And luckily the new room was only 3 doors away.

At around 5pm, and a little bit calm, I made the phone call and wanted to speak to the manager. The person I spoke to, not really sure whether he is the main manager, or asst. manager, or shift manager, apologize for the inconvenience. He told me that they ran out of towel because their laundry machine broke and they have to use external contractor to wash their towels. And that explanation is fine. Though he can't really tell me why we had to wait for 90 minutes for our room. He said he’d send a fruit basket for us for the whole inconvenience.

For the next 3 days and 2 nights, all things went ok.

The hotel have buffet BBQ diner every Saturday night...value for money if considering that they provide cultural performances as part of the setup. And it was next to the beach. (and the pool as well, but there is nothing special with the pool). Plenty of choices for the food, but watch out for ABC (Air Batu Campur; shaved ice with "stuffs")...it was served further away from the rest of the food, and I saw it when we are already full. Did I mention that I love ABC?

Do wake up early if you end up staying at this hotel. Go for the sunrise...and walk along the beach....very nice view of light shows and fisherman's boats in the background. By 8am, it'll get very hot.

Except the ladies at the counter, most staff there are very friendly and courteous. And the supposedly-manager who I spoke to? I'm not really sure...we never get any fruit basket that he promised.

Terengganu is a state with lots of beaches...and plenty of beach resorts...I wouldn't recomend this"resort" to anyone unless they have to stay in the town.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — bad service in some area
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank enapwr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
konz
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We had booked this through asiarooms.com and got some good rates for our 2 superior seaview rooms.
The rooms were adequate and clean. Could do with refurbishing, especially the bathroom, but then you're not in Europe. We had a small balcony with each room, but even on the 9th floor you got all the cooking smells from the kitchen air-cons below.
The beach is ok, a long stretch of wide sand, quite coarse. I wouldn't recommend swimming in the sea, though.
The pool and surrounding garden are nice to relax in.
The food was very good, nicely presented and a good choice. No alcohol available.
Very attentive service both in the restaurant and from the front desk.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — tired rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family