“Very nice place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Duyong Marina & Resort
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Kuala Terengganu
“Very nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

This is a very nice place to relax and unwind. You wake up early in the morning looking at the sunrise and swift flying quietly and soon greated with soothing music which calms your mind. Good place to stay i can just relax on the balcony or soak in the pool for hours.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

The hotel layout is well designed, with the chalets and other buildings surrounded by trees. But no birds or butterflies. Very curious, as it's just next to the river.

Staff are friendly and polite. I asked for a 2nd key to the room, but the receptionist apologised and said that the hotel was fully taken up for that day and they didn't have extra keys. But there's hardly enough people to make it a full house. Wonder where all the other guests when.

Swimming pool is rather small, and nothing at all like what is shown in the photos. Amenities supplied are - soap, shampoo, conditioner, disposable bag, shower cap and razor. No toothbrush or toothpaste. The bathroom had a HUGE bathtub, but just could not be filled with water. I suspect the water stopper was designed not to allow you to fill the bathtub. The shower area was fine with high pressure water.

We asked for an extra bed, and got only a mattress. A bit strange for a 5-star hotel.

This hotel is where the Monsoon Cup is hosted. Perhaps it would be more exciting during the race season, but during the time we were there, it was really boring.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Probably the best value you will get in KT. I had my share of bad service while staying there for 2 nites. We had a family reunion renting 3 chalets and 1 suite which
we used for family gathering. I only can hope they improve the service, maintain the place well and be profitable. It will be a shame to loose another great resort in malaysia due to the management. I would suggest would be guest to hire a car because it will cost rm10/person to town or rm20 per one way cab versus about rm80 per day car rental. KT and surrounding is easy and interesting to explore.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank ShaifulKL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were there on April 13th. We were greeted by the warm and hospitable Pn Nur Fajariah, where she had us checked in, and then drove us to our chalet via the resort buggy. This would be our mode of transport for the 2 days there, since cars are not allowed within the chalet compound. However, we did take many walks thru out the whole area, and it wasn't too large a place for us to cover on foot. We found our chalet excellent - very clean, very comfortable and truly up to our expectation. My better half, especially, was totally rejuvenated in this charming sanctuary, basking in the morning sun and relaxing by the magnificent pool. Our boys simply loved the pool! An added plus would be due to the fact that it wasn't peak period, hence there were not many patrons, so we and a few other families kinda had the whole place to ourselves! We couldn't comment on the food, since we had all our meals outside, which was only a stone's throw away.

It was a totally pleasurable visit, and we look forward to coming here again!

Room Tip: Would go again during non-peak period.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank adicaya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night during our east coast trip. Before staying here, we've stayed at Swiss Garden, Kuantan. I've booked the hotel solely based on pictures at their website which was a big mistake I've made.

During the booking process, I've selected 1pm as my check in time and selected a deluxe pool view room. We've arrived at the hotel quite late at 3.00pm, to my suprise, our room was not yet readied and the front desk clerk said that it will take around 45 min to get it ready. So, we've decided to have some light snack at the restaurant, but there's no one to take our order up until the 20th mins we've seated.

I went to the front desk after that, and they've given me a room. I've overheard the clerk saying something like "Ok, we give them another room". To my suprise, they've given me a garden view room and don't have the courtesy to tell the truth. I've make my stand and wanted a pool view room which was then readied at 5.00pm.

There aren't enough buggy to transport guest around. Room was a bit dirty. Bed was really soft, you'll get back pain. Signboard was lacking to get your way around the hotel. Everything was pretty much sucks. Staffs attitude was unacceptable. Food at restaurant was good. I do hope there will be a change of management to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Watai

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Terengganu hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

Reached Ri-Yaz around 4:15pm since our afternoon flight was a bit delayed from KL and went to have our lunch in KT town first.

I thought checking-in would be smooth since this is a 5 star resort but to my surprise...i was told that my rooms (i booked 4 rooms for the whole family), were not ready!!!! At 4:15pm?? With everyone tired especially the kids, i asked them to checked again and was told that they're really sorry that rooms were really not done yet and all they could do is offer me a drink! And then came my father and he kind off raised his voice asking about the rooms and one of the staff picked up her walkie talkie and somehow told us our rooms were ready and it was almost 5pm at that time! Oh ya..i forgot to tell you that the reception counter doesn't look like the normal reception counter you would see in hotels..It's more like 4 tables joined together in an open space. At first i thought it was some Registration tables for some events they might be having. Funny.

To get to the rooms, you can either take a buggy or walk. But i bet most of us would grab the buggy since the whole resort complex is quite huge....so HUGE that there's only one buggy and driver working at the time when we wanted to get to our rooms! There's like 2 families waiting in line and for the small buggy to take my family of 10 alone( plus our luggages) would take 3 or more trips...what about the other families? When we asked the buggy driver, he said that the other buggies are out of batteries! What a shame!!! But the driver was very polite and helpful.

When we reached our rooms, first thing that everybody noticed was the strange smelly smell that came from the toilet..in fact in was all over the room but was stronger from the toilet. At first my husband thought i just finished doing my 'business' in the toilet and i thought the other way round when neither of us actually did. Everybody else complained about the smell in their rooms and we later found out that it might came from the wood that they used to build the building. Other than that, everything else was fine. Our rooms sit directly facing the infinity pool and yes we got the pool to ourselves since there was like nobody else staying in that huge resort. The pool cafe was closed. And that was a Saturday! It was closed the next day too so we asumed it was there just as a deco!

The next day we went to have our breakfast at the restaurant. It was given free with the rooms and yes it was one of the beautiful hotel restaurants i have ever been. Food choice was tremendous. You have everything from the local Nasi Dagang, Nasi minyak to pastries, fresh baked waffles, all types of eggs, western and juices.

The next problem starts after our breakfast when we wanted to extend our stay to another half day since our flight back to KL is at 9pm. The reception lady quickly replied with a NO saying that they were going to be full house that day! She got no other choice and we got to pack our bags by 12 noon! Really? And again my father have to raised his voice and giving her some lectures on 'ways of giving good service', 'politeness' etc and insisted on seeing the manager. She said the manager was having a briefing and she would get back to us.

She finally got back to us at 11am something saying we can extend our stay but need to change to a smaller room. Packed, transfered, unpacked. By the time we left Ri-yaz for the airport at 7:15pm, we could hardly see many cars!! 5 cars the most...and owhhhh.....what a FULL HOUSE!! Thanks Ri-Yaz for making our short holiday such a lonnngggg and tired ones!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Arishahakim
Ri-YazHeritageSales, Director of Sales at Duyong Marina & Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Dear Arishahakim,

Please accept our sincere apology as upon check in the 2 of the 4 rooms that you had reserved were indicated as 'not ready'. However, my team advised me that it was immediately rectified as when the call the Housekeeping department, it was informed that it was only that it hasn't been updated in the system yet, and you guys were sent by the buggy the rooms, although it required several trips due to the size of your party.

As for the smell that you had indicated, we will surely check on the matter, as it was not highlighted to us during your stay. Thanks for highlighting,and we will surely rectify if there should be a problem.

On the request for late check out on the 30th April 2011, we were to able to hounour your request as our nation's premier and the entourage was there for a visit of Kuala Terengganu, and they took most of the rooms in our resort, but the reception had assisted you by alloting a higher category rooms for you move your luggage & for your to freshen up on complimentary basis.

I really hope that you will change you mind, and visit us again.

Gama
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

My wife had seen previous signs along the road from Kuantan to Kuala Terengganu during our previous trip to the east coast at the end of December 2010, so when we saw the signs during our drive to KT on February 2, 2011, we thought we might like to give the place a try. First off, we checked out the hotel's website. We liked what we saw so checked the room rates. Lowest rate was RM268++ for an Internet booking. We didn't book right away but drove to the hotel following the signs along the highway and in the city.

First thing we noticed is that this is NOT a beach resort, with sea and sand. So if that's what you are looking for, you are going to be disappointed. It is located on Pulau Duyong, an island in the Terengganu River, just across from the KT waterfront. You reach the resort after a short drive through a kampung residential area and industrial looking area (shipyard). First impression when we got to the resort is that the main building was ginormous. It housed a couple of restaurants and a ballroom and was connected to a convention centre. The site is the location for the annual Monsoon Cup sailing race. This not being Monsoon Cup season, the resort had a very deserted feel. We were surprised to hear from the registration desk staff that the resort was close to full house (97 chalets and suites).

We inquired at the desk about rates and were told that the best rate was RM318++ for a chalet. We said we had seen a rate of RM268 on the Internet and were told that the rate was for Internet bookings only and they could not honor it for a walk-in. So my wife took out her Blackberry, accessed the Internet, made the booking, and we got our chalet for RM268. After our complimentary drink and check-in, a staff member whisked us off by golf cart to our chalet. Our key didn't work so the staff member returned with one that did. We entered our chalet (one of two bottom units of a four-plex) and were very impressed with the room appointments and furnishings. Especially the separate bathtub and shower set up with two sinks. We tried out the CD player/stereo system but the CD player didn't work. Everything else was fine though. My wife called up reception to ask about the spa hours and was told that the spa was not currently in operation, which was a big disappointment to her.

We had a great night's sleep and woke early. Had a nice buffet breakfast (included in the rate) at Verandah Restaurant. We had a nice view of the river traffic and the KT skyline and waterfront. We strolled around the grounds and noted the lovely swimming pool. We didn't get a chance to take a dip but the water looked great. My wife commented on the landscaping, noting the lime trees, pineapple trees, and other exotic plants and shrubbery around the grounds. My wife also commented that it looked a bit like Fantasy Island, but didn't have as many people around. She was right...

All in all, we had an enjoyable time at Ri-Yaz. The chalet was fantastic, the grounds were lovely, and the staff were very friendly, accommodating, and provided us with wonderful service. On the minus side for me: no sea and sand, as the resort was located in the middle of the river so close to town and an industrial area. And I didn't see enough people (guests) around the place and that made the it seem more or less deserted. It must be a fantastic place to stay during Monsoon Cup, though... On the minus side for my wife, she was really hoping to relax at the spa and it was closed while we were there. Had she known beforehand, she wouldn't have indulged me in a night at Ri-Yaz. Apart from that, I'd return again if I wanted a luxurious chalet and a bit of pampering by friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djones1964
Ri-YazHeritageSales, Director of Sales at Duyong Marina & Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments. I wish to apologise on your wife's dissatisfaction on the inavailability of the spa, it's sad that we are trying to rectify the problem at our spa, but currently we have to temporarily close it for business until the problem is solved. I am really hoping that the matter will be solved soonest possible so as the guest could enjoy the treatments that we have planned to put out for the guest experience.

Thank you.