“bunch of scam artists”

Ipoh, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“bunch of scam artists”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Returning from the Perhentian islands we decided to have lunch in this restaurant before continuing our trip. Location had a comfortable feel to it and there were a few people at tables, seemingly eating happily. So we ordered some stuff off the menu, which was fine. BUT, we were talked into ordering a couple of their enormous tiger prawns, having been told that it would be 15 ringgit per 150 grams. I did a quick calculation in my head and figured that the two prawns would weigh around 500 grams, plus or minus, which they did - 650 grams according to the lady boss, although I never saw this. When I went to pay, however, I was handed a bill for 147 ringgit, of which 94 were the shrimps! This was madness. I tried to get the lady to explain the cost. She was very rude and told me to pay. So, my message to any would-be customers is to CHECK first the cost of seafood before giving the go ahead for them to cook it. When you consider that this is a seafood restaurant situated a few meters from the sea, there is no way that shrimp that go for a tenth of that price in city-based seafood restaurants should be so outrageously expensive. We were scammed. Simple.

• Visited August 2012