We stayed at the beautiful Tanjong Jara as a family of 6 adults aged 21 - 55 following a hectic 4 days in Japan. The resort is everything you need to relax and catch up with yourself again, the staff are ALL lovely without exception. Chef Anne who commands the main restaurant is quite a character, please accompany her to the morning market, an assault on all your senses but incredible and a real insight into local malay life. Her cooking class is even better with lots of fun and great dishes that you actually get to cook and enjoy afterwards. The Anjung Rooms are worth every penny, close to the beach with lots of space and comforts, 402,501 & 502 are in a great position half way between the two restaurants. The beach is golden sand with the South China Sea rolling in, calmly in the morning but then the breeze picks up in the afternoon giving great waves to play in. We did the snorkel trip to Tenggol Island which is a must, very well organised and the team that took us are very knowledgeable, gentle and caring so suitable for all levels of snorkelling experience. We saw turtles, reef shark, barracuda and many many fish in cool calm clear waters, lunch on the beach was great and yes there are toilets!! 4 of us took the walk to the waterfall which was amazing but very challenging, however was worth it when you got there to bathe in the cool mountain waters.
The two restaurants work really well together giving a true taste of Malay (thanks to Chef Anne who really does come and ask you what you fancy for dinner then produces the most amazing flavours) in Di Atus Sungei and a more Western one - Nelayan which has a good menu and the food is presented beautifully, lunch here is also great especially the satay and the burgers. The Happy Hours in both bars are great and we enjoyed very many Singapore Slings and Bloody Marys in the Teratai Terrace Bar - Thank you Guys & Girls!!!
Things the resort should note for it's upcoming refurbishment:
A frosted toilet door please - not sure I want to witness someone's ablutions.
Some watersports - TJ is great for relaxing but our lads were a bit bored after a few days and were desperate to take something out on the water.
Waterfall Trek - You need to stress the type of walk it is in length and difficultly.
A big thank you to the Nelayan who on our last night supplied us with amazing room service from both the evening and the lunch menu for our Wimbledon/Grand Prix in room party. Never has a burger tasted so good.
Good luck to all at TJ with the refurb - it needs it, as lovely as TJ is it's looking a bit tired in places. We hope you keep all your lovely staff on when the resort re-opens, you could not do better than the team you have.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by palm fringed, emerald seas, Tanjong Jara Resort is a sanctuary of luxury and well-being steeped in the unmistakable grace of age-old Malay traditions. Here, in the comfort of a room furnished in local timber and rich fabrics, guests are lulled by the sighs of waves and the warm tropical breeze. The award-winning architecture of this resort reflects the elegance and grandeur of 17th century Malay palaces, offering an authentic taste of the region’s spirit and an enduring embodiment of gentle Malay arts and hospitality. Seamlessly integrated with the resort is the Spa Village, dedicated to combining the therapeutic properties of natural local ingredients and the innate healing practices of the area, providing a special, restorative experience. Guests can choose to experience an eco-adventure river cruise, explore teeming coral reefs or browse in a night market. Whatever the activity, every breath is pure refreshment, a relaxation of the soul, a pure journey of revival. In Malay we call this Sucimurni, in Malaysia it is Tanjong Jara Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Tanjong Jara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanjong Jara Hotel Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Resort Dungun, Terengganu, Malaysia