I called this "nearly" there because it is the word that perfectly sums up our experience. It was "nearly" excellent and we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and would be happy to return again.
I gave detailed feedback to the resort via their feedback request form in the spirit that it will be helpful and give guidance as to some areas to improve so as to make it "properly" excellent.
For guests wishing to stay at TJ, there are many lovely aspects to this resort that make it worth visiting. It is on a beautiful stretch of beach ("nearly" clean) which had a bit of debris and various points of low tide and I would recommend the hotel staff do a little bit of a clean up when they see the litter (including sadly, one used nappy) washed up.
The gorgeous Anjung Suite (to which we were very kindly upgraded) was stunning and "nearly" perfect minus the aircon which was "nearly" functional (a button had broken meaning you couldn't change the settings or fan speed without a handy pair of tweezers) and the lights which were "nearly" all working (lightbulbs had blown). But I feel it's churlish to complain too much here because it was a very generous upgrade and we were totally delighted. I would probably consider it worth the money if these details were fixed.
Service was "nearly" professional, extremely friendly and welcoming staff in the restaurant areas but to some extent lacking managerial oversight, e.g. someone who was aware of the status of orders, who'd not been given a menu yet, who was on dessert, how long the meal would take to arrive, etc. From our personal experience, as a result of some chaos and confusion between order and delivery of food we waited a long time for our lunch (over an hour). When we raised it as a concern, we were then asked a touch rudely, "Oh you weren't served first?" This was not even "nearly" the point!
The food as part of the package deal we had purchased was "nearly" value for money, but we decided it was a bit too canteen-style for an upmarket resort and for our liking. We paid the additional 100MYR per person to eat at the finer dining restaurant and this was much better. The lamb dishes were some of the best we'd had in Malaysia and it is worth going at least once to this restaurant if you like the look of the menu.
The grounds of the resort are particularly lovely, beautiful greenery and water features and a sensible and extensive layout. They were "nearly" very well kept but we noticed cigarette ends (there's no manners from some of the other guests), crisp packets and fallen roof tiles which remained uncollected and not swept away even over two or three days.
So, to the lovely staff at Tanjong Jara, who made our family feel extremely welcome, you are so "nearly" there with making this a wonderful, luxurious experience. Don't wait for Management Systems and Processes to fix the niggles, show pride in your surroundings, and even if 'the boss' hasn't asked you to do something and you think it needs fixing - please take the initiative. Perhaps TJ Management if you're reading this, you might help make this possible!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by palm fringed, emerald seas, Tanjong Jara Resort is a sanctuary of luxury and well-being steeped in the unmistakable grace of age-old Malay traditions. Here, in the comfort of a room furnished in local timber and rich fabrics, guests are lulled by the sighs of waves and the warm tropical breeze. The award-winning architecture of this resort reflects the elegance and grandeur of 17th century Malay palaces, offering an authentic taste of the region’s spirit and an enduring embodiment of gentle Malay arts and hospitality. Seamlessly integrated with the resort is the Spa Village, dedicated to combining the therapeutic properties of natural local ingredients and the innate healing practices of the area, providing a special, restorative experience. Guests can choose to experience an eco-adventure river cruise, explore teeming coral reefs or browse in a night market. Whatever the activity, every breath is pure refreshment, a relaxation of the soul, a pure journey of revival. In Malay we call this Sucimurni, in Malaysia it is Tanjong Jara Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tanjong Jara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanjong Jara Hotel Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Resort Dungun, Terengganu, Malaysia