What a perfect place for escaping from it all. Sitting here, back in Kuala Lumper - we really miss the peace and simplicity of life at Tanjong Jara. We loved our time there. Firstly the service was the best we have experienced at a resort, the perfect balance of friendly interaction and service. Everyone without exception was friendly, smiley and looking to make our stay perfect. I cant say enough good things about the staff and the service. It was exceptional. The food was also great. The main restaurant doesn't have a menu, which can be a bit disconcerting, but it wasn't as everything was great. Chef Ann was so engaging and fun and based on her trip to the Market and our tastes, suggested a wonderful array of Asian food for us to try each night. The chicken or prawn roselle is the best sweet and sour I have ever had. The vermicelli, sizzling beef, grilled prawns, rending and chicken with dry chilli and cashews also great. And then try the chocolate lava cake or banana fritters. We wanted to eat local, Malay and Asian food, so ate at the main restaurant most nights. There is a second restaurant, Neraylan which is next to the beach. The setting is nice but e food for dinner a little more mainstream and not as good in our view. Although we enjoyed their lunches - particularly the Asian burger, fish head curry and satay.
So thats service and food with a tick. The resort is set in the jungle but on the beach and as a result you get a really remote Beach with a feeling of a castaway as the loungers are spread out and there aren't too many people around. The only downside is that the sea brings a lot of rubbish onto the beach and this slightly spoils the walks along the beach and the sand is so hot, we burnt our feet - so keep your flip flops nearby! Don't expect White sand, it's yellow. The pool is an infinity pool and very nice. There is a spa and a cute little jungle gym. One of the other great things about the resort is the wildlife. While we were there, we saw on a daily basis large monitor lizards, lots of birds, two different species of monkeys and quite a lot of them, tree squirrels as well as the odd snake!. we also did a few Trips that were enjoyable. The bike ride was worth it for the roti and coffee at the local coffee shop and the river cruise and Malay village visit an interesting insight into the local culture. I would also recommend the cooking class which was fun. The night Market isn't great, the food area more interesting than the rest. The cocktails at the resort were not the best, so we stuck to wine and beer, and don't expect much sign of life after 10.30 as it's not that type of place.
All in all, we will definitely be back one day when we want to switch off and escape from the world. The service, room, food and wildlife were great. It's not cheap and the bill racks up as the alcohol is pricey - but we thought it was well worth it. Also - try and time it so you are there on a
Saturday afternoon so you can experience kampong life, including the famous coconut collecting monkey! a wonderful stay, we were sad to leave and a huge thank you to the wonderful staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronted by palm fringed, emerald seas, Tanjong Jara Resort is a sanctuary of luxury and well-being steeped in the unmistakable grace of age-old Malay traditions. Here, in the comfort of a room furnished in local timber and rich fabrics, guests are lulled by the sighs of waves and the warm tropical breeze. The award-winning architecture of this resort reflects the elegance and grandeur of 17th century Malay palaces, offering an authentic taste of the region’s spirit and an enduring embodiment of gentle Malay arts and hospitality. Seamlessly integrated with the resort is the Spa Village, dedicated to combining the therapeutic properties of natural local ingredients and the innate healing practices of the area, providing a special, restorative experience. Guests can choose to experience an eco-adventure river cruise, explore teeming coral reefs or browse in a night market. Whatever the activity, every breath is pure refreshment, a relaxation of the soul, a pure journey of revival. In Malay we call this Sucimurni, in Malaysia it is Tanjong Jara Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tanjong Jara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanjong Jara Hotel Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Dungun
- Tanjong Jara Resort Dungun, Terengganu, Malaysia