“Delightful resort”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dungun
Melbourne, Australia
“Delightful resort”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We recently spent a week at Tanjong Jara to celebrate our 35th anniversary. It met all our expectations and more. The layout and gardens are beautiful, as are the rooms. I cannot understand the comments of those people who have said the rooms are "old." You can't have new looking rooms in hotels unless they are redecorated every 3-4 years, which would increase the price enormously. For what it offers, Tanjong Jara is remarkably reasonable. The rooms are immaculately clean and well maintained, as are all the facilities. The highlight, however, is the service, which is superb. All the staff, without exception, are friendly and helpful, and we would like to especially thank Hisham, Chef Ann, Aziz, Zul and Captain Mokh, all of whom helped make it a memorable holiday. We loved the turtle trip, especially the chance to see the just hatched rare Olive Ridley turtles. Snorkelling at Tenggol was also excellent. I had read reports that the coral was in poor condition, but this was not the case, and the island itself is beautiful. Our visit to the market with Chef Ann and the subsequent cooking class was great, and I have already cooked her recipes twice since arriving back. Finally the river cruise was a great pleasure, and we were fascinated to see how palm sugar was made. Since getting back, I have been enthusiastically recommending Tanjong Jara to my patients, and hopefully many of them will take the opportunity to go. If I have one very small criticism, it is that the dinner menu at Nelayan, while good quality, lacks a little of the vibrancy of the dishes available at Di Atas Sungei. Other than that, wonderful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian N
PeterNeto, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear guest

I am pleased to learn you have recently enjoyed your stay at Tanjong Jara Resort. Much more so since it marked a very special milestone in your lives. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Peter Neto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Good points:
Location good with very nice private beach , quiet
Nice pool facilities, 2 pools
Lunch and dinner are good with good selection and generous portion, given complimentary too
Breakfast is sufficient with good choices
Room is spacious
Staff service is ok, noted some are trainees but tried very best to extend hospitable

Need improvement:
Room abit old but not that old
Staff service

Deep appreciation to Wai Gyn, Manager for her service to explain our package on arrival, upgrade our dinner on 2nd night and extension of check out time as our flight was in the evening.

Will surely go back again

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank SgnExp
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent review via this website. We continuously strive to improve the service offered to our guests and I am delighted to read you will be returning to our property in the future. Please do let me know if I may be of assistance in arranging a reservation.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My recent trip here was as close to perfect as you'd get with resorts in Malaysia. It's really lovely!

The good:
1) Service - everyone knows your name. And they greet you. And smile at you. And try to be really friendly and helpful. Special mention to Mei Gin (hope I spelt the name properly), who helped suggested activities, extended my check-out time without my asking, and, gave me helpful driving directions.
2) Landscaping - Very well landscaped. The hotel is spread out enough to feel spacious, but everything is accessible, it didn't feel like we had to walk forever to get anywhere.
3) The beach is all yours. Really, even when we knew there were plenty of guests, the beach was nearly all empty.
4) Food - enjoyed the lunch at Nelayan, and dinner at Di-atas Sungei. The 'talking' menu is certainly something a local like myself will identify with - it means we can get our dishes customized to our liking! Breakfast could be better in my opinion, but nothing to complain about.
5) Kampung Life - This is an activity held in the evening on Saturdays, where you get a chance to sample local games, cultural activities, food, and socialize with others in the resort. Easily the highlight of our stay.

The bad:
1) Not a bad, really - I had a minor problem with the water heater. The problem was fixed promptly, but since I needed to shower immediately to make my dinner appointment, the resort arranged for me to have my shower taken at another villa.
2) There are bugs in this resort. Do remember to bring your insect repellent.

All in, absolutely recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mozilla_monster
Dear guest

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort! Thank your sharing, in detail, your recent visit to our Resort. We appreciate the feedback and the team is happy to have been able to offer you such a pleasant experience. My apologies for the water heater, which has been replaced.

Kindest regards

Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Been meaning to write this review but didn't have the time till now.... Went for a V-day celebration in February and as it is the 3rd YTL resort I've been to, my expectations were high...

Starting with the ambience... It was a gem in the middle of the kampung but getting there from Kl was abit tricky..long drive because the highwasy wasn't complete at that time. The map on the website was a lil deceiving coz we thought it was a cut off and we could reach but that wasn't so...

The rooms and surroundings were amazing...and they had daily activities so you wouldn't get bored! One thing that struck me as superb was the fact that their housekeeping were so efficient, everytime we went out and came back in, the room was clean! I've never experienced that anywhere before..kudos on that!You can read more about the review for ambience and activities here with pictures: http://www.choomeisze.com/tanjong-jara-resort-ambience-and-activities/

On to the food...which never failed...Chef Ann was friendly, entertaining and I loved her homstyle cooking...

The spa was nice but the massage was not very good compared to the rest of their resorts..I have been to all of them now even the one in Malacca.... It could have just been me..but do try out their spa and give your own review because YTL spa's are world class.

That aside, my boyfriend and I were happy campers after the trip. Thank you Keng HO, Sincer, Cindy, Chef Ann and the houskeeping team:)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeiSze
PeterNeto, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear guest

I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us last February and have shared your experience in this review. The Spa Village offers a wide range of therapy with different well trained professionals and continuously strives to cater to every guest. I understand the new East Coast Highway should open sometime in 2013, cutting the travel time from Kuala Lumpur from around 4.5 hours to just over 3 hours, we eagerly await its inauguration. I have been asked by the team and specially those Stars you have mentioned, along with Housekeeping and Chef Ann, to thank you for so kindly remembering them still now. Do let me know if we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I went to this resort last year in October but only now have a chance share some of my exciting experience. Went there for 3 days 2 nights trip, very short but left us with memorable experience. I drove there and the journey to resort is very straight forward. Reached there at 10 pm and received such a warm welcome from the staff. They honored my request though no prior booking was made :)

The beach was very very very nice. Though, the weather permit our little activity but we really enjoyed the stay. If you have chance to stop by for a short break, make sure you book yourself for Spa session and dont forget to mentioned Pak Yahya! He is damn excellent and very talented! Worth every penny you spent and definitely i am looking forward for another trip!

If you enjoy seafood, there are many restaurants available closed by; just ask around! Cheap and delicious!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Oyst3r
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the readers of this website. Throughout the wet season (November - February) we still welcome many guests who enjoy a relaxing holiday in these serene parts of Malaysia. Although some of the outdoor activities are not available we still offer many for their enjoyment such as cooking classes, handicraft tours, market tours, Kampong Life in the resort and a full range of treatments in our Spa Village.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went with our 4 year old daughter for a 3 day stay... and we are glad we made the long journey by car from KL.

Staff were very polite and tried to address us all by name, including our little girl. We especially remember Kumar for being so helpful in trying to meet our requests and a very kind lady at the restaurant- unfortunately we can't remember her name.

The resort was experiencing high occupancy while we were there but we did not wait long at all for meals or for anything we requested from room service.

We took the residents package and it was certainly good value for money. The meals were exquisite and plentiful... especially our 3-course dinners at Di Atas Sungei. The chocolate lava cake is a must-have! The lunch menu, although limited was also satisfying -- particularly the Nelayan burger.

The pools were nice and a short distance away from the beach making it very easy to chase one little girl from the pool to the ocean and back again! The beachfront was lovely and often we were the only ones on the beach.

The room could have used a bit of updating, but we did not spend much time there so we didn't mind.

I comparison the Pangkor Laut Resort which we visited a few years ago I have to say this was a much better experience. Better food, better service and a better beach. (Rooms at the PLR were better though)

We are already thinking of making another trip there... hopefully before too long.

Navina
KL, Malaysia

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 12TravelDiaries
Dear Navina

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort! I have shared your review with the team who certainly appreciated you reviewing their service so highly, a special thank you from Kumar. We have recently introduced a new menu at Nelayan and due to popular demand kept the Nelayan Burger on the new menu and even added an Asian Burger and a Vegetarian one. In regards to the rooms, we continuously update and re-decorate the accommodation specially during the off-peak season when we can close room blocks at a time without affecting the many guests who can still enjoy the resort. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Warm regards

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have heard quite a bit about this hotel from friends and was really looking forward for a change of scene from Pangkor Laut Resort when I came here. As with its sister resort, Tanjong Jara is beautifully landscaped and the service is impeccable, especially in the Di Atas Sungai restaurant. The Nelayan restaurant is also perfectly situated, facing the sea and the beaches are nice and clean. The staffs are lovely and they make the effort to make us feel comfortable. Chef Ann is very accommodating and I love her passion when it comes to food! I am writing this review almost a year later, and she seriously made such an impression that I still remember our meals with her.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Eleen00
Dear Eleen

We appreciate you writing this review and the opportunity to provide you with such a memorable stay. Special as you still remember the Resort and team so fondly after one year. Thank you as well for your continued support of YTL Hotels.

Kind regards

Peter Neto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungun
The Qamar Paka, Terengganu
#6 of 10 in Dungun
Rumbia Resort Paka
Rumbia Resort Paka
#1 of 2 in Paka

Been to Tanjong Jara Resort? Share your experiences!