“Highly recommended!”

Tanjong Jara Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dungun
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My recent trip here was as close to perfect as you'd get with resorts in Malaysia. It's really lovely!

The good:
1) Service - everyone knows your name. And they greet you. And smile at you. And try to be really friendly and helpful. Special mention to Mei Gin (hope I spelt the name properly), who helped suggested activities, extended my check-out time without my asking, and, gave me helpful driving directions.
2) Landscaping - Very well landscaped. The hotel is spread out enough to feel spacious, but everything is accessible, it didn't feel like we had to walk forever to get anywhere.
3) The beach is all yours. Really, even when we knew there were plenty of guests, the beach was nearly all empty.
4) Food - enjoyed the lunch at Nelayan, and dinner at Di-atas Sungei. The 'talking' menu is certainly something a local like myself will identify with - it means we can get our dishes customized to our liking! Breakfast could be better in my opinion, but nothing to complain about.
5) Kampung Life - This is an activity held in the evening on Saturdays, where you get a chance to sample local games, cultural activities, food, and socialize with others in the resort. Easily the highlight of our stay.

The bad:
1) Not a bad, really - I had a minor problem with the water heater. The problem was fixed promptly, but since I needed to shower immediately to make my dinner appointment, the resort arranged for me to have my shower taken at another villa.
2) There are bugs in this resort. Do remember to bring your insect repellent.

All in, absolutely recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mozilla_monster
PeterNeto, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear guest

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort! Thank your sharing, in detail, your recent visit to our Resort. We appreciate the feedback and the team is happy to have been able to offer you such a pleasant experience. My apologies for the water heater, which has been replaced.

Kindest regards

Peter Neto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Been meaning to write this review but didn't have the time till now.... Went for a V-day celebration in February and as it is the 3rd YTL resort I've been to, my expectations were high...

Starting with the ambience... It was a gem in the middle of the kampung but getting there from Kl was abit tricky..long drive because the highwasy wasn't complete at that time. The map on the website was a lil deceiving coz we thought it was a cut off and we could reach but that wasn't so...

The rooms and surroundings were amazing...and they had daily activities so you wouldn't get bored! One thing that struck me as superb was the fact that their housekeeping were so efficient, everytime we went out and came back in, the room was clean! I've never experienced that anywhere before..kudos on that!You can read more about the review for ambience and activities here with pictures: http://www.choomeisze.com/tanjong-jara-resort-ambience-and-activities/

On to the food...which never failed...Chef Ann was friendly, entertaining and I loved her homstyle cooking...

The spa was nice but the massage was not very good compared to the rest of their resorts..I have been to all of them now even the one in Malacca.... It could have just been me..but do try out their spa and give your own review because YTL spa's are world class.

That aside, my boyfriend and I were happy campers after the trip. Thank you Keng HO, Sincer, Cindy, Chef Ann and the houskeeping team:)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeiSze
PeterNeto, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear guest

I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us last February and have shared your experience in this review. The Spa Village offers a wide range of therapy with different well trained professionals and continuously strives to cater to every guest. I understand the new East Coast Highway should open sometime in 2013, cutting the travel time from Kuala Lumpur from around 4.5 hours to just over 3 hours, we eagerly await its inauguration. I have been asked by the team and specially those Stars you have mentioned, along with Housekeeping and Chef Ann, to thank you for so kindly remembering them still now. Do let me know if we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I went to this resort last year in October but only now have a chance share some of my exciting experience. Went there for 3 days 2 nights trip, very short but left us with memorable experience. I drove there and the journey to resort is very straight forward. Reached there at 10 pm and received such a warm welcome from the staff. They honored my request though no prior booking was made :)

The beach was very very very nice. Though, the weather permit our little activity but we really enjoyed the stay. If you have chance to stop by for a short break, make sure you book yourself for Spa session and dont forget to mentioned Pak Yahya! He is damn excellent and very talented! Worth every penny you spent and definitely i am looking forward for another trip!

If you enjoy seafood, there are many restaurants available closed by; just ask around! Cheap and delicious!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Oyst3r
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the readers of this website. Throughout the wet season (November - February) we still welcome many guests who enjoy a relaxing holiday in these serene parts of Malaysia. Although some of the outdoor activities are not available we still offer many for their enjoyment such as cooking classes, handicraft tours, market tours, Kampong Life in the resort and a full range of treatments in our Spa Village.

Sincerely

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went with our 4 year old daughter for a 3 day stay... and we are glad we made the long journey by car from KL.

Staff were very polite and tried to address us all by name, including our little girl. We especially remember Kumar for being so helpful in trying to meet our requests and a very kind lady at the restaurant- unfortunately we can't remember her name.

The resort was experiencing high occupancy while we were there but we did not wait long at all for meals or for anything we requested from room service.

We took the residents package and it was certainly good value for money. The meals were exquisite and plentiful... especially our 3-course dinners at Di Atas Sungei. The chocolate lava cake is a must-have! The lunch menu, although limited was also satisfying -- particularly the Nelayan burger.

The pools were nice and a short distance away from the beach making it very easy to chase one little girl from the pool to the ocean and back again! The beachfront was lovely and often we were the only ones on the beach.

The room could have used a bit of updating, but we did not spend much time there so we didn't mind.

I comparison the Pangkor Laut Resort which we visited a few years ago I have to say this was a much better experience. Better food, better service and a better beach. (Rooms at the PLR were better though)

We are already thinking of making another trip there... hopefully before too long.

Navina
KL, Malaysia

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 12TravelDiaries
Dear Navina

Greetings from Tanjong Jara Resort! I have shared your review with the team who certainly appreciated you reviewing their service so highly, a special thank you from Kumar. We have recently introduced a new menu at Nelayan and due to popular demand kept the Nelayan Burger on the new menu and even added an Asian Burger and a Vegetarian one. In regards to the rooms, we continuously update and re-decorate the accommodation specially during the off-peak season when we can close room blocks at a time without affecting the many guests who can still enjoy the resort. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Warm regards

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have heard quite a bit about this hotel from friends and was really looking forward for a change of scene from Pangkor Laut Resort when I came here. As with its sister resort, Tanjong Jara is beautifully landscaped and the service is impeccable, especially in the Di Atas Sungai restaurant. The Nelayan restaurant is also perfectly situated, facing the sea and the beaches are nice and clean. The staffs are lovely and they make the effort to make us feel comfortable. Chef Ann is very accommodating and I love her passion when it comes to food! I am writing this review almost a year later, and she seriously made such an impression that I still remember our meals with her.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Eleen00
Dear Eleen

We appreciate you writing this review and the opportunity to provide you with such a memorable stay. Special as you still remember the Resort and team so fondly after one year. Thank you as well for your continued support of YTL Hotels.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The place gardens and surroundings are superb. We were lucky enough to get a room with sea views. The room was big and nicely decorated in wooden-Bali style. We liked the food served for dinner and the buffet at breakfast was very good. The service is also very nice and helpful. I recommend the snorkling trip, it was very good. I also highly recommend to take a massage at the Spa.
The beach is long and very beautiful, so you can take a walk if you like it.
Our weekend was nearly perfect!

Room Tip: Ask them for a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarCisIgo
PeterNeto, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear guest

I am delighted you had a most pleasant stay with us at Tanjong Jara Resort and took the opportunity to enjoy watersports at Pulau Tenggol. Thank you for sharing your experience via this website and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards

Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family and I have enjoyed Tanjong Jara for 7 nights.
We had one of the most hassle-free, trouble-free and wonderful vacation.
Almost everything was just perfect.

The attention, friendliness and courtesy provided by the management and all the staff (without any exception) is outstanding.
Guests are adressed by their names and you get a feeling of being valued and honoured.
All the staff try (and do) their very best to provide a good service, even for unusual requests.
The management is always present but never obtrusive which is the perfect way.

The resort is very remote and silent - the perfect place for relaxation. Even when it is fully booked you never feel limited or disturbed by a crowd of guests. The large area swallows the people and gives you the impression of almost being alone there. Be it at the beach or even by the pools.

The Spa was a wonderful experience as well. From start to finish everything was done perfect, calm and deeply relaxing within a peaceful environment. We did the 3 hours couple's treatment which made us feel levitated from the ground afterwards.

The food at the Nelayan and at the Asian restaurant is amazingly delicious.
At the Nelayan I have tried all the fish dishes up and down the menu and each one was another surprise in appearance, taste and quality. You can pick blindly anything from the menu and won't be disappointed.
The Asian restaurant does not have a menu - Chef Ann will come to your table and talk. You can order to your likes. No disappointment here either, a purely delicious experience.
The breakfast is indeed a bit average but all you need is there. If anything is not present at the buffet: just ask the staff and they will bring it.
They are indeed not the fastest but I see no problem being patient during my vacation. There is no hurry and I just enjoyed a nice breakfast outside on the terrace surrounded by a jungle and a tranquil morning mood.

The best recommendation I can give is about the day trip diving tours with Richard (the resort's dive master).
If you miss that you will miss one of the best dive sites in Asia (at Tenggol island). Fish, corals, turtles, shark - we had exciting and wonderful moments under water. Especially the turtles seem to enjoy being in the center of attention and stay right in the middle of the group of divers for a long time.
Richard is one of the best dive guides I ever had. Humorous but serious enough to make you always feel safe and relaxed - a wonderful combination.
My sons even made their PADI OWD licence there. Richard's instructions and explanations are so clear, easy to understand and never boring so that anyone must be able to finish that licence easily.

The dive tours out to Tenggol Island are very well organized. You will first be brought from the hotel to the marina (about 5 minutes drive) and then relax on the speedboat for another 45 minutes.
Tenggol Island is some sort of a marvellous little paradise with a beautiful turqoise bay good for snorkeling.
Between the two dives (few minutes away from the island) you will be brought back to that bay where Tanjong Jara has prepared a barbecue for lunch. A Wonderful and peaceful place to have a delicious BBQ buffet.

We will definitely come here again. The entire stay was excellent.
Thank you very much for this memorable time we had.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Wassermaennchen
PeterNeto, General Manager at Tanjong Jara Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for your love of Tanjong Jara Resort and for taking the time to share your experience with us just recently. I have taken note of all your feedback and in particular regarding Pulau Tenggol as a dive and snorkelling site. I trust you will have the opportunity to visit us in the near future.

Regards

Peter Neto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungun
The Qamar Paka, Terengganu
#6 of 10 in Dungun
Rumbia Resort Paka
Rumbia Resort Paka
#1 of 2 in Paka

Been to Tanjong Jara Resort? Share your experiences!