“Nice beaches but littering is great problem”
Review of Perhentian Islands

Ranked #4 of 77 things to do in Terengganu
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at Senja Bay Resort at Coral Beach. The view from our room was nice but not worth the price. The room especially the bathroom was not clean.
The island could be a paradise but it is not. To crowded and the nature suffering.

1  Thank Jasmin L
"feed the fish"
"boat transfer"
"stayed longer"

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went snorkeling at Tunku Abdul Rahman a few days before we came to this place. If you check out my review about Tunku Abdul Rahman you will understand we didn't really know what to expect and were prepared for the worst. Read on and you will see we enjoyed our time here at Perhentians and certainly recommend this place for some relaxing and snorkeling.
We stayed at the big island (Perhentian Besar) in the Coral View Resort. The smaller island is somewhat more known for partying, we noticed nothing from this at the big island. Also this island had no traces, or maybe very minor as we didn't notice any, of littering.
The Perhentians is a touristic place but you can still find some places to relax, when we were there it never really got crowded. Not for dinner, not to find a spot at the beach and not for snorkeling either.
You can do some snorkeling directly from the beach and you can book an excursion with one of the many agencies that are on the island. We booked ours at Mama's. They all offer more or less the same but it's worthwhile to compare as they have different prices. If you book a trip with the boat you will be snorkeling in deeper water which is better to avoid destroying the coral. Yes, there is still living coral!
We had dinner at Mama's, The Reef and the Coral View Resort. After reading some bad things about the food in Coral View we were a bit reluctant and this was the last place we tried. I kindly disagree with what we read here in other reviews. They offer the biggest selection of food, we tried several things and enjoyed most of it. I wouldn't say the food at Coral View Island resort is worse than what you find at the other places. They may be slightly more expensive but portions were bigger as well.
Many places offer BBQ during diner time. We enjoyed BBQ's at other places before we came here and were surprised when we heard the price. It was 4 times more expensive than what we paid at other places. That's the reason we opted for the other menu options over here, those prices were slightly more expensive as well but reasonable. (what did you expect, you're on an island and nowhere else to go)
I hope tourists and locals will do an effort to conserve this place and not make a mess of it like they did at Tunku Abdul Rahman!

2  Thank Country_hopper99
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the island. I found it to be very tranquil and peaceful but might be boring for long vacation if you are not diver or snorkeling. Unfortunately lots of constructions are going on and beauty vanish . I didnt find Long beach too clean as well many rubbish on a walkpass to Coral bay. Its a pity for government to maintain marine park in such a miserable state.
Accommodation is expensive for value they offer.
but I saw lots of fishes even without snorkeling and swimming there is a real pleasure!

1  Thank marishkaS
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I agree as well with some of below comments. I went to the Perhentian Islands in July and didn't really read anything about them up front. I now feel a bit bad that I was part of the destruction of the eco-system on the islands.
I was on Pulau Kecil (the smaller island), where a lot of backpackers are staying. At night there are parties on the long beach. I understand it is fun to party in the moonlight on a beach on a tropical island but for f*** sake, clean up your mess afterwards. Empty beer cans and plastic cups remain on the beach and are swept away into the ocean by the upcoming tide. The jungle trails which connect the different accomodations on the island are completely littered with used condoms, beer cans, plastic bags and the likes.
The coral around the island isn't very colourful, in fact is greyish - white which suggests the coral is dying or dead. I understand that the sunmilk of the hords of tourist unloaded from the snorkling boats are an important cause of this problem. Please buy bio-degradable sunscreen if you go snorkling or wear a t-shirt.

7  Thank SimonSterck