“Nice hotel but they have maintenance issues”

Dorsett Grand Subang
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Subang Jaya
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice hotel but they have maintenance issues”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. I had a mixed experience due to some maintenance issues.
I actually stayed in two different rooms as only a single was available on the first night then I moved to a King the next.
I stayed on the 16th floor which was the premium level. The rooms are very nice here.
The beds are extremely comfortable, especially for Malaysia. They had ample pillows including feather. The bed also had a topper so it was extremely soft and comfortable.
Mini bar was free, but disappointing as it was only 5 choices of juice or soft drink. No alcohol. The premium level also includes free mini bar and access to a private lounge area.
The bathrooms are a good size as well. When the hot water worked, there was plenty of it, it was regular and had good pressure.
On the first night and day there was no hot water. Unfortunately the hotel did not take a pro-active step about this and warn people etc. Further when I raised the issue at reception they just said yes. No reason was offered or solution provided.
I also found the rooms have an unusual smell which I put down to poor drain maintenance.
And the first room I stayed in the shower drained so slowly I cut my shower short as I was worried it would flood the bathroom.
When I spoke to some locals that have been regulars at the hotel, they said the maintenance has gone down hill. Apparently the last manager was very good but since she had left the hotel was not the same.
Breakfast here is very good. The choices are everything from Indian, arabic, malay, chinese, western. The fruit was fresh and they made eggs, pancakes and waffles to order.
I would definitely stay here again. Great breakfast, good beds and good rooms. I just hope they can address their maintenance issues.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade for the Premium rooms. These are on the upper levels and are better quality. You...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank djfowler
, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Grand Subang, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your kind support towards Grand Dorsett Subang. We are in receipt of your comments dated 27 June 2012 and we would like to assure you that we are looking into your points highlighted and these issues has been addressed within our team for further improvement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel was "scrapped" by Sheraton and sold off to Dorset. When you visit you'll know why. Old rooms with lack of maintenance and upkeeping. Strong mold smell in room, even airing didn't help. No wifi or internet! Black mold in bathroom and worn off and dirty carpet. Staff reception average, had to struggle to get a non-smoking room. Breakfast is ok, the rest is all negative. Avoid this hotel if you can. Empire hotel is comparatively better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your kind support towards Grand Dorsett Subang. We are in receipt of your comments dated 24 June 2012 and we would like to assure you that we are looking into your points highlighted and these issues has been addressed within our team for further improvement.

For your kind information, we have refurbished some of our rooms and the remaining rooms are in process of refurbishment.

KL
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel was formerly known as Sheraton Subang and yes it has had its hey days. We stayed in the deluxe room , booked 4 rooms for 3 nights and took the connecting room. The room itself is comfortable with good fittings . We had good night sleep. Stayed in many hotels but I must say they have the best hairdryer!
The downside is the bathroom is rather old and the toilet bowl is not cleaned properly. (could see the stain at the side of the rim)The house keeping is not so thorough cause we spilled coffee powder on the tray and it remained there for next 4 days.
Other than that this place is not bad at all, quiet and kids enjoyed the pool .Oh yes and breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your kind support towards Grand Dorsett Subang. We are in receipt of your comments dated 19 June 2012 and we would like to assure you that we are looking into your points highlighted and these issues has been addressed within our team for further improvement.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 13, 2012

went there over the weekend fri-sat. kinda of expensive for being so far out of the city but ok overall. nice pool and great gym. rooms was ok but we stay in the old wing..so jealous of others that had the new wing. food across the street at windmill restaurant wasnt too bad although the restaurant had onekind of smell.
abt 5mins drive from sunway langoon, 15-20mins drive from mid valley and 30 mins drive from the curve..so be prepare to drive.. hv fun!

Room Tip: request for new rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comment dated 13 June 2012. It is our fervent hope that the commendation will act as a motivational tool to our employees to further improve their level of service and efficiency while addressing guests’ need and requests.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Two weeks ago, my husband and I recently had a one-night stay at the Deluxe Plus Room. We loved the room and it was really comfortable for us, with high-end amenities etc. We enjoyed our short stay there. Furthermore, we're regulars at The Emperor Cantonese Restaurant, we make it a point to visit and have dim sum at least once a month.

But our dining experience last weekend turned out to be a nightmare for us. My husband and I, along with three friends dined at The Emperor Cantonese Restaurant for their dim sum buffet. At the end of the day, my husband and one friend of ours came down with very bad food poisoning that had them purging and vomiting on hourly basis. This condition went on for days that they became dehydrated and had to be put on IV drips for them to slowly recover.

While myself and two other friends were not affected by the food poisoning, we suspected that among the dim sum buffet spread on that day, the desserts were the cause of it as only my husband and my friend had them, and now they're caught with bad food poisoning. It has been four days since our visit. We are greatly disappointed by this happening and have great doubts in returning again as we question the food quality and the level of hygiene that is being maintained there.

I'm afraid this experience has scarred us and made us disregard the past good experiences that we had at your hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest

We are indeed disturbed to learn of the food poisoning incident encountered by your husband and his friend on the day that you have dined at the hotel’s Chinese Restaurant. As this has been an isolated incident, we have since carried out our investigation based on your comment received.

Based on our findings, we would like to highlight that the standard procedure for food safety and handling method, ‘longan’ with sea coconut and lychee pudding are being prepared ½ hour before served chilled at the dessert station. This procedure of handling technically should not contaminate the ‘longan’ with sea coconut and lychee ‘pudding’ and is practiced throughout hotels. Pursuant to this, we have also sent some food samples to the laboratory for testing and the results show positive.

As a five star hotel, we would like to assure you that we only deliver and serve our best in terms of quality products and services. Food hygiene and safety remain as our top priority which will not be compromised.

Once again, Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you to Grand Dorsett Subang again in the near future.
Mumbai
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I had checked in here with my parents for two days in May 2012 during our holiday to Malaysia. This came as a part of the package so we couldnt help the location. Located alomost 16 kms away from the city centre...this hotel charges a 5 star rate but the rooms are very very average...I had booked for a triple sharing and the rooms were tooooo small for a triple sharig with hardly any space to move around. Rather the hotel should not take triple occupancy bookings at all. Also the service was very bad with the staff (concierge, bell boy) very very rude. They were very stingy on providing even three bottles of water for three people staying in the room. The room had very old furniture and upholstery with a very very age - old television.

Not at all value for money or star property!

Room Tip: Don't take the ground floor rooms at all
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Leo K, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Subang, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Indeed, I have taken note of your recent stay and received your valuable comments. I gather that you did book with a group a package,hnece you were accomodated in one of our superior rooms-which are the old rooms.I'm pleased to inform you that we have newly renovated rooms -de luxe plus rooms- which are very modern and very cosmopolitain. Unfortunatly during your stay these rooms were all occupied.I do agree with you that the concierge and bell boys are the flront-liners and as such should be pleasant and courteous and provide the charming Malaysian service.Let me assure you that we will address this with the department.
With a triple occupnacy we shall ensure that three bottles of mineral water are also provided.
Yes, the room furniture is dated,the good news is that we will start to renovate these rooms by january 2013. Once again, thnak you for your valuable commnents.
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I spent almost a week at the Grand Dorsett on a business trip and I'm very glad my company's travel agent found it. The staff were helpful and friendly right from the start and the 16th floor room was peaceful and comfortable, with all the facilities you'd expect.

I was particularly impressed with the extra services that came with a "premier" room: free laundry and internet, breakfast and evening drinks in the premier lounge and a free (non-alcoholic) mini bar. The breakfast in the lounge was especially good, with fruit juices and eggs prepared to order and a wide selection of hot and cold dishes in the buffet.

Getting into Kuala Lumpur is not difficult, the hotel runs a shuttle bus to the nearby commuter station several times a day. It's also possible to walk to and from the station as well as nearby shopping malls and restaurants.

My only complaint was that the airconditioning was a little over-enthusiastic and the staff didn't seem to be able to raise the temperature.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views of park next door.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank OrangeWindies
Leo K, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Subang, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I was very pleased to read your recent stay at our hotel was both pleasant and enjoyable.
As you are aware the premier club floor rooms are are all nelwy renovated and have a very modern and cosmpolitain feel.It is good to hear that you enjoyed the club floor services ie breakfast,internet, evening cocktails and non alcoholic mini bar. Yes, the breakfast selction does provide a full compliment of yummy dishes,fresh bread and deliciously prepared eggs.
I had a word with the Chief engineer to train/brief all our housekeeping associates on "how to operate the thermos control switch. Incidently, we are increasing our shuttle service frequency to four times a day for sunway,empire and commuter station. Once again, thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Subang Jaya
#5 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
Sunway Clio Hotel
Sunway Clio Hotel
#1 of 45 in Petaling Jaya

Been to Dorsett Grand Subang? Share your experiences!