“I'd stay there again if I've to be around that area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Empire Hotel Subang

Empire Hotel Subang
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Subang Jaya
Kuching, Sarawak
“I'd stay there again if I've to be around that area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel's location is not city centre but that was my intention anyway. A trendy mall was just next to it and it is not isolated from the hustle & bustle of city life.

Likes: the decor; working desk - very convenient; the restaurant where breakfast was served; the balcony outside the restaurant for smokers ;-).

Dislikes: the bathroom's basin countertop - no dry space to place my toiletries bag. Sliding door for bathroom & glass wall reduced privacy or discretion for doing one's toilet business.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear Travelholic69,

Hello from us at Empire Hotel, Malaysia.

Our aim is to be recognized by you, our valued guest, for achieving outstanding service excellence. We are always interested in suggestions that would allow us to improve our level of hospitality services, hence thank you for taking the time to write and we will certainly pass on your compliments to the relevant team members who have contributed in making your day.

With these happy memories of Empire Hotel, we look forward to serving you again when you return to stay or dine with us in the near future.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Perth, Western Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Firstly the GOOD things:
1) Great room layout for business purposes and unlike any other room I've stayed in

2) The outdoors bar was well laid out, comfortable and the staff were simply fantastic

3) Express checkout (checked-out at the same time I checked in with just room key to be deposited in a box in reception next morning) Note that to do this though you must pay for food and drinks and not charge to your room (which was no problem for me)

4) Breakfast was quite reasonable

5) No problems with nightime noise (on level 10) when sleeping as per some other comments

The BAD things:
1) As per a previous comment the elevators are simply diabolical. I allowed 15mins from the time I finished breakfast (on level 2) to go to my room on level 10 just to collect my pre-packed luggage and get back to level 2 to drop my room key in the box, It took all this time just to get up and back which is absurd. Then, fearing getting stuck waiting for elevators again to get to ground floor where my private limo was already waiting I though I'd be best exiting through the shopping arcade (which was a big mistake as because it was before 9AM when the shops opened I was fairly well trapped. Even ran over a floor sweeper's electric cord with my luggage and pulled it from the power socket, at which point he came around the corner to see what was going on! Then I had security on my back asking what I was doing who pointed me in the direction of arcade elevators. These are no better and the floor identification system was so confusing I ended up in the car park basement. When I eventually got to the level I wantd (where I came in the previous night) I still couldn't get out because the sliding doors were locked. Eventually a security guard came to the rescue and showed me to Starbucks which I could walk through to get outside. Quite comical when I look bak on it, but I was intensely frustrated at the time and was late getting to the airport as a result.

2) Trying to find the entrance to the hotel in the shopping centre was a nightmare, even after asking 3 different people for directions and dragging my luggage up elevators. The signage (if in fact existent) is very poor.

3) Was given the wrong internet logon details and even after contacting reception via phone they still could not provide the correct details and had to send someone to the room to sort it out which took more than 30 mins in total. I had a short but urgent email to send and was starving hungry for dinner so I was annoyed and frustrated that something that should be very simple turned out to be so difficult.

Would I stay again? Maybe if I can be sure they have fixed the ridiculous elevators.

3 Thank Slymeister
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear Slymeister,

As a testament to our strive for perfection, we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again and we are in the midst of installing additional 2 units of elevator to up keep our hotel services. We are confident, as a result of these actions; Empire will emerge as a more reliable and even more customer responsive hotel than ever before.

On behalf of Empire Hotel, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not giving you the high standard of hospitality, which is the general norm of our hotel. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of this.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Empire Hotel as your preferred hotel in Malaysia.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

Me and the wife (together with the family) stayed at the Empire Subang for a family member's wedding, even though we are from nearby Petaling Jaya!

The hotel certainly is a very modern and chic, contemporary-style boutique hotel. There are a couple of F&B outlets, including a Chinese restaurant and coffee house, both of which had reasonable patronage, which means that people in Subang have embraced the food options on offer. However, for leisure, the only choices are either to go for shopping therapy at the Empire Gallery shopping mall downstairs or exercise at the gym in Fitness First; there is no in-house pool and guests are allowed to use the facility at FF as well.

The Ballroom where the wedding was held is one of the most uniquely-designed that I've seen, with an interesting ceiling design that uses LED lighting instead of the usual spotlights-and-chandeliers; of course, being a boutique hotel, the Ballroom is of a smaller size compared with other neighboring hotels (e.g. Holiday Villa or Grand Dorsett).

The room is spacious, like a studio apartment minus the kitchen. There is a large workstation at the entrance foyer (which also doubles up as a dresser), and this is where the sliding wardrobe is located. Too bad they had to sacrifice the toilet for this huge foyer, as it was quite cramped a la Hong Kong hotel style!

As for the bedroom section, this area was done up very nicely and with an LCD TV stuck on the opposite wall as well as a comfy queen-sized bed. What I liked about the bedroom is a great iPod dock at the bedside; it is some unknown "SameSoy" brand but the cool thing is that this is the first such dock I've seen that allows for FULL remote control (i.e. not just for the dock but also the iPod, including the Music menus). Oh, and not forgetting the huge floor-to-ceiling windows, offering a great view as well as loads of natural light to fill up the room!

Sad to say, the Hotel's service quality still needs improvement. During the wedding dinner itself, I heard about guests complaining that they called the waiters for service, e.g. refill of wine or Chinese tea, and despite acknowledging the request, they did not come back with what the guests wanted.

Furthermore, they have to address their parking issues; this is because the Hotel's parking garage is shared with the adjacent Empire Gallery (shopping mall) and since it was a Saturday, guests had problems looking for space to park even at the lowest basement! And lastly, for an almost 20-storey building, why did Empire's developer only provide for TWO elevators serving all floors, including the garage? This forced people to wait for quite a while for the elevators, myself included! By right, in other similar-type hotels, they have at least three for hotel levels and maybe two for the garage, so as to reduce the waiting time.

All in all, the Empire certainly is an up-and-coming hotel to match the best on offer in the Subang Jaya area but to be a truly great one, it has to iron out some of their teething issues first.

Room Tip: Get the room which faces KL and PJ - best views!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Hann Ti_Tan,

We are deeply sorry to learn of your unpleasant experience at our hotel recently. We take your dissatisfaction seriously. The issues that you have encountered during your stay with us have been brought to the attention of several key managers of the hotel, in particular the F&B department.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

The hotel looks refreshing, as the design is stylish. Fast checking process, conveniently for shopping coz it is just few steps away. Breakfast is good, room is new and clean. Service is good. I like it in overall and recommending to others.

1 Thank hereisthething
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Hereisthething,

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed here because my colleague booked the rooms and she likes this place. Overall a nice hotel, but I just cannot get over the elevator problems. A minimum of 10 minute wait to get on but even worse than that there are no stairs from the reception level to the ground floor, so you have to wait even for that.

Internet is dodgy, but no worse than a lot of hotels. I would not however use free internet as an inducement to stay here. Even the wired is very slow.

No problems with the hot water, and the rooms have an excellent layout with the exception of the electrical. There is only one outlet open and that is in the separate work area. Not good if you use your phone as an alarm clock. Also, the light switch for the bathroom is either at the front door or by the bed. Odd that there is not one anywhere near the bathroom.

Can hear the nightclub even on the 6th floor but not to disturbing if you are used to sleeping in the city.

Location at the mall is good and some good eating options.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Luu777
Empire_eCom, Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear Luu777,

Oamaru, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

checked in the hotel with my partner 2 weeks ago. i like the design bcoz it looks different from others. room size is spacious and the food at the restaurant was good. we went to downstairs for shopping, and it's very convenient. i like it in overall.. thanks guys.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank whiteBabyBreath
Dear WhiteBabyBreath,

Hello from us at Empire Hotel, Malaysia.

It is feedback such as yours that makes our day. We certainly enjoyed having you as our guest because the hotel is dedicated to ensuring comfort and event success at all times.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I travel for business monthly and am loathe to leave a bad review, but this is the worst hotel experience I've had. I was willing to overlook the flakey internet that I had to reconnect to every 5 minutes, the phone in the room that was impossible to hear anything, the lift that took forever (and I mean forever), cold food from the breakfast buffet (and pretty awful), even the shower that only stayed hot for 3 mins ... but having a hotel staff member call my room at 4am in the morning was the last straw! I checked out after two nights and found somewhere else - suggest you don't make the mistake I did.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rubymajik
Empire_eCom, e-Commerce Manager at Empire Hotel Subang, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Rubymajik,

We are deeply sorry to learn of your unpleasant experience at our hotel recently. We take your dissatisfaction seriously. The issues that you have encountered during your stay with us have been brought to the attention of several key managers of the hotel, in particular the front office and maintenance department. While the lack of service you experienced is unusual and away from the standard of our hotel, there is no excuse for a lackadaisical attitude on the part of any of our employees.

As a testament to our strive for perfection, we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again by creating company training sessions to make sure all our staffs comply with the hotel’s policies and procedures, as well as to uphold our hotel guests’ comfort at all times. An internal auditing team has been formed to further look into this area seriously. Besides, we are in the midst of installing additional 2 units of elevator to up keep our hotel services. We are confident, as a result of these actions; Empire will emerge as a more reliable and even more customer responsive hotel than ever before.

Travelers are raving about these Subang Jaya hotels

Ruemz Hotel
Ruemz Hotel
#3 of 10 in Subang Jaya
Holiday Inn Kuala Lumpur Glenmarie

Been to Empire Hotel Subang? Share your experiences!