“Perfect stay”

The Saujana Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Shah Alam
Reviewed December 5, 2008

If you want to stay outside KL City Centre, play golf, have business in Subang or just want to relax, the Saujana is the perfect place to be! The surroundings are great, the buildings are good, the rooms are spacious, the aircon is almost soundless at low speed, the staff members are always smiling and supportive, and the restaurants provides good food. My favourite restaurant is Senja, which provides Italian food and has live music (a trio playing jazz). I wish I could stay forever.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Saujana Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed August 10, 2008

The Saujana was the most luxurious hotel we stayed in on our trip but was only about £40 a night. It is a very attractive hotel with a grand entrance, gorgeous pool and swish buffet breakfast (one of the best on our trip). The Mercedes Benz Malaysian Masters was being played at the time on the adjoining golf course and the players were all staying here. If you like golf this is a great place to stay! The place looks exactly like the photos on the website and is only 5 minutes taxi ride away from the Subang airport (the one that Berjaya and I think firefly fly out of). The rooms were large, clean and had everything you need (tea/coffee, hairdryer, toiletries etc) plus some good satellite TV channels. The staff were all perfectly helpful and polite. There is a lovely looking restaurant on decking over the pool and lake area that over looks the golf course (but we only stayed one night so unfortunately didn’t get to try it). If you need a place to stay overnight near this small airport then this hotel is perfect, or if you like golf then it is also for you. If this hotel was closer to KL centre I would have stayed here for our nights in the city too.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2008

Having visited this hotel years ago, I wanted to stay here after hearing that it has been refurbished.
The hotel prides itself as being a resort "nestled among the rolling hills of plam plantation". That was true some time ago. I was surprised how developed the area has become and the Saujana is now nestled among residential areas, albeit upmarket ones. A condominium project is in progress a stone's throw away from the hotel.
Even so, if you want to stay here you must not be reliant on public transportation as the hotel is pretty much away from it all. They do provide shuttles to various areas but as far as I could see these are not very frequent.
The front of the hotel is now exposed to quite a bit of traffic noise, especially the droning of schoolbus engines in the morning (I believe it faces a school). However, the area facing the back is still scenic and quite relaxing.
Yes, the hotel rooms have been refurbished (a new wing is being developed too) but overall, the hotel still has a very 80s feel, with the old-fashioned room keys, switches and the cane furniture in the lobby and coffee house areas (sorry, Saujana, that is sooo yesterday). I understand nothing much could be done about the overall architecture of the place. The rooms are a decent size and fairly comfortable.
One of the problems are the dark colours and the materials used (especially the flooring around the pool) which tend to look weathered. The dark tiles in the pool also make it look less inviting than it could look.
Visitors from other parts of the world may enjoy going for breakfast to the accompaniment of the chirping of tropical birds, of which there are plenty here.
The brekfast buffet is generous, with the standard items found in most Malaysian hotels (eggs, noodles, rice, porridge, bread and pastries) and some items not so common. I partcularly enjoyed the German-style breads and yoghurt with freshly-cut fruits, and the wide selection of juices - more than in some 5-star hotels. Breakfast was included in the room rate, and thankfully so, as I found the food outlets in the hotel to be rather pricey.
As for the service, I cannot praise it enough. The hotel staff and polite and forthcoming. I had booked a standard room through the hotel website and as the hotel was pretty full during my stay, I was upgraded without any fuss to a deluxe room at no extra charge. Seeing as I was a lone female traveller, the receptionist enquired if I had any bags that needed to be carried as my room was in another wing. Coffee house and housekeeping staff were efficient and friendly, which is a rarity in Malaysia.
This hotel caters mainly to golfers, due to its vicinity to the golf club, and so breakfast begins at 6am. It is also popular for company retreats, and as such it can be difficult getting a room here.
However, if you want a quiet, serene stay, I would prefer the Holiday Inn at Glenmarie.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2008

My recent stay at the Saujana was one of the best experiences I have had at a hotel. Upon my arrival I was greeted by the friendly Bellman and then escorted to the Lobby where I was checked-in by the Manager. The staff were very attentive to my needs for the duration of my stay.
The staff at the Coffee House where I had my breakfast every morning were very freindly and helpful. the variety of food and quality was some of the best I have had at a Hotel.
Where the Hotel is located and the surrounding setting with the Lake view and the Golfcourse is simply breathtaking.
I am from Seattle and travel throughout the the world and have stayed in many 5 star hotels. I will recomend the Saujana Hotel to all of my friends as a great Vacation or Business destination.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank braceof2
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We were here on Christmas 07, stayed in two linking superior room for three night. Room are dated but very well maintain,it is clean & the resort do two room service perday.Saujana KL by car is about 20mins to Sunway Lagoon & Pyramid & 45 mins to KL city. Broadband internet in room provided by InterTouch, cost MTR$1.9/per min or MYR$54/per day.Buffet breakfast selections are quite good.Free biking and paddle boat available near pool and lake there is a waterslide to make kids happy. Yes there is an extension of Saujana Club going on now but no interruption at all during my stay here.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Cheahwc
Reviewed December 12, 2007

We had booked 3 Standard Rms at Saujana. But hotel contacted us and encouraged us to upgrade to Deluxe Rms instead for a mere 40 RM saying that the room was bigger and better. However when we got there, firstly the porters or hotel staff were "selective" in helping us carry the luggage. They just stared at us without even saying welcome or hello. However when another group of tourists arrived who were of another nationality, they were very helpful towards them. Secondly we got our rooms and to our utmost despair and surprise, these Deluxe rooms were located on the ground floor and the view was totally horrible. Instead of getting a so called nicer view associated with a Deluxe Rm, our windows opened to a view of a large tree and fences. The hotel was building an extension and renovation works were underway but they didn't even specify this in our many email exchanges. We felt cheated and that the hotel just wanted to cash in by asking us to upgrade to a Deluxe Room. However there was another tower to this hotel and the view there was magnificent. What we couldn't inderstand was that we book the rooms at least 3 weeks in advance and they didn't even secure these rooms with nicer views for us. Instead they gave us rooms with absolutely no view and located at one corner of the building. Lastly the final straw came when the hotel reservations staff didn't even apologise for their shortcomings in terms of bad service and horrible room allocations. They just shrugged it off. Immediately we asked for a full refund and would never return to Saujana again! This was the worst service we had ever received at a hotel. Least they could do was to apologise!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank AsianTouristSpore
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We booked the hotel for 2 nights based on other reviews. The staff were extremely helpful by email organisin transport from the hotel, even organising a car seat for our toddler. We stayed in the club area and found the room dated with many areas in the building in need of a freshen up.

Our experience was positive however with lovely staff and adequate facilities. The pool was great though in high season I think the facilities would be very crowded.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
Best Western i-City Shah Alam
Dorsett Grand Subang
Dorsett Grand Subang
#1 of 11 in Subang Jaya

Been to The Saujana Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!