“Lovely setting but service could be so much better”

The Saujana Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Shah Alam
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Saujana for 6 nights recently, and while there are definitely areas which could be improved, overall we really enjoyed our stay.

Firstly the good bits...

Although the hotel is a 30 minute drive outside of KL city centre, the setting of the hotel is beautiful. It sits surrounded by lush gardens, and a golf course.

The cost of a room is very reasonable, about £50 - £60 British pounds.

The hotel has been designed like a traditional Malaysian tall house, and is like a large open air beach hut. Very nice.

It has a lovely swimming pool, which is really big and has a slide for kids. It also has a decent size gym with good equipment.

It offers a free shuttle bus to the local shopping areas, 3 or 4 times a day (one way only).

The room we stayed in was really nice, but we had been upgraded to a deluxe room. My husband has stayed here before and the room was very old and dated.

Now the bits that could be improved...

SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE!! My husband and I live in Malaysia, but are originally from the UK and we've noticed that there is a distinct lack of good customer service in general in Malaysia, so the comments here are typical of Malaysian hotels in general.

There's a nice cafe/ bar in the foyer of the hotel and I went every day for coffee. For the first few days I sat for maybe 15 mins, but no-one came near me and so I just went up to the bar to order, but then I decided just to wait and see how long it would take for someone to serve me. 45 minutes! And this was with 2 members of staff behind the bar, but they obviously had other tasks to complete (glass cleaning, stocking the bar) and seemed oblivious to the 10 or so customers sitting waiting.

It was the same at the pool. Not once in 6 days did someone come and ask if I would like a drink, and I didn't see anyone else getting service at the pool. You would think they would be trying to make money where they can, but no they just seem to want to cover the basics.

As stated above, there is a free shuttle bus to the shopping areas. When we checked in, I asked if I could book for the next day but was told it was a first come first served basis, which was fine. The next morning I arrived 15 minutes early, and despite being the only person there, and a sign clearly stating the service was first come first served, the concierge informed me the bus was 'fully booked'. When I asked him to explain how this could be, he just kept saying 'A group booked it yesterday' and then told me I'd have to take it up with the manager. It was only after complaining, that the hotel agreed to put on another bus.

Prices. Here's the problem... this is a 4 star hotel charging 5 star prices. A coffee in the lounge is £4 and... you don't even get a cookie with it! These are Dubai prices, but at least in Dubai if you pay £4 for a coffee, you get free biscuits/ cookies.
A bowl of soup in the cafe was £6, but if you go 2 mins across the road to the Oasis centre, there's a restaurant called Ria, and you can get a delicious bowl of soup for £1.20.

Breakfast is ok, but it's not the best. Choice is quite limited compared to other hotels we've stayed in, and agin the service is slow and grudged.

The hotel does do a different themed buffet each night for about £15 pp. We didn't try it, but the food looked delicious.

We did go to the Italian restaurant one night, but they had a private function on and so couldn't serve us.

All in all this is a nice hotel, but they could make it an amazing hotel if they invest in some good customer service training.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LindyIrving121
There are newer reviews for The Saujana Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was desperately looking for a place that I can have ease of mind to relax and rest after surgery. After searching for months, finally I found a place in the Saujana. I have no qualms about their food, services, security etc.

Been here for almost a month and indeed, this is one of the place which I would recommend those who are looking for place to unwind, relax, recup etc.

The only drawback is the taxi. Taxis are apparently outsourced and not like other hotels which they normally have got "blue hotel taxi" which will charge by meter. This is a slight drawback for travellers like us who are highly depending on hotel taxi.

1. Buffet or ala carte in Suria are good. As a foodie person or food critic, you will able to see if the final product of the food presentation and quality is good.

2. Housekeeping - very prompt and very focus and literally took around less than 20 minutes to get all done - 100% housekeeping - impressive

3. Bellman - very compassionate and spontaneously he will offer his help and even get a wheel chair for those having difficulty in walking

4. Bellman - when they said 5 minuntes for them to come to the room to help to bring down the luggage means 5 minutes as some other hotels you can wait till 30 minutes with no sign of the bellman

Overall: 1st time long day - indeed impressed and definitely this service level is considered as 5 stars service level. Good job the team of saujana and hope you all will keep up, maintain your current standard and strive improve further from where you are.

Room Tip: Get the room in the block c near the club as its quieter and the beauty of the morning, you will awa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jaz T
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last october to attend a conference. It was my first time in malaysia and This made my trip very memorable. This hotel had a relaxing feel to it.. It had many trees and plants that make the place feel like you really are in a vacation. It made me forget that i was there to attend a conference. It is your sweet escape to the busy city. Food is great. International buffet everyday. The staff was friendly. There is a band that plays great music at the lobby. Wifi is not free ( at that time ). The hotel over all for me was one of the nice hotels ive stayed at so far. It was simply elegant and it felt like i was at an expensive beach resort. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We booked via hotelopia and got a good deal for one night layover. We were flying in and out of subang airport, it was easy to buy a prepaid taxi (20rm), to the hotel. Nice beds, great pool we also took advantage of the free shuttle at 7:30pm to Sunway Pyramid mall where we had something to est and caught a movie. Against prepaid taxi counter out the front and 20rm return to the hotel. An older style 5 star hotel, however, the breakfast buffet as part of the deal was awesome. Great pastries, overall excellent choice for layover at Subang airport.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We only had one night here as was flying out early next morning and did get a cheap rate. Our room was dated, the room needed a coat of paint and updated. Having said that the bed was comfortable and room stayed nice and cool. The hotel was out of the way from shops etc but does cater for 'golfers'. A bus was provided for one way trip to KL Central which we were pleased about for free. We were given a nice breakfast to take away too which was good of them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rowena m
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at Saujana for 6 nights. Thanks so much for upgrading our room. However we were given one on the 1st floor right above your gym's sauna hence the room was hot and stuffy. I have asked for a non smoking room but I believed that we were given a smoking one because I saw an ashtray and a box of matches on the table. I could smelled cigarette smoke throughout my stay. The toilet was blocked three times, then overflowed when I tried to flush once more and twice I had to call the maintenance to unblock it!

The only thing that I like was its peaceful, lovely surroundings especially the swimming pool.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed in the Saujana on three occasions in March when touring SE Asia.
First time was for two nights.
Flew into KLIA from Dublin via Dubai, and very comfortable taxi ride to the hotel.
Check in was fast and effortless, and upgrade to a superior room (had basic room booked).
Large, bright & clean room with views over pool, lake & golf course in distance.
Great buffet breakfast with loads of hot & cold choices. All nicely presented, lovely and fresh, and could dine inside (air-con) or outside.
Second occasion was for one night, and whereas no upgrade this time our room was fine.
Staff all pleasant & helpful, and held our large luggage as we travelled between Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore.
Final stay, again one night - unfortunately only one night, as the check-in official recognised us and arranged a very pleasant upgrade to a suite in the adjoining Golf & Country Club. This was luxury. Unfortunately a quick breakfast as we had an early flight to Dubai.
Overall I would firmly recommend the Saujana for an overnight, weekend or longer stay. The staff were all pleasant and eager to assist. We didn't have an opportunity to try their restaurants, however the buffet breakfast was excellent. We only had time to try the pool - and again it was excellent with towels and loungers provided.
Thank you Saujana - you made us very welcome to KL and Malaysia.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Best Western i-City Shah Alam
Dorsett Grand Subang
Dorsett Grand Subang
#1 of 11 in Subang Jaya

Been to The Saujana Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!