My husband and I stayed at the Saujana for 6 nights recently, and while there are definitely areas which could be improved, overall we really enjoyed our stay.
Firstly the good bits...
Although the hotel is a 30 minute drive outside of KL city centre, the setting of the hotel is beautiful. It sits surrounded by lush gardens, and a golf course.
The cost of a room is very reasonable, about £50 - £60 British pounds.
The hotel has been designed like a traditional Malaysian tall house, and is like a large open air beach hut. Very nice.
It has a lovely swimming pool, which is really big and has a slide for kids. It also has a decent size gym with good equipment.
It offers a free shuttle bus to the local shopping areas, 3 or 4 times a day (one way only).
The room we stayed in was really nice, but we had been upgraded to a deluxe room. My husband has stayed here before and the room was very old and dated.
Now the bits that could be improved...
SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE!! My husband and I live in Malaysia, but are originally from the UK and we've noticed that there is a distinct lack of good customer service in general in Malaysia, so the comments here are typical of Malaysian hotels in general.
There's a nice cafe/ bar in the foyer of the hotel and I went every day for coffee. For the first few days I sat for maybe 15 mins, but no-one came near me and so I just went up to the bar to order, but then I decided just to wait and see how long it would take for someone to serve me. 45 minutes! And this was with 2 members of staff behind the bar, but they obviously had other tasks to complete (glass cleaning, stocking the bar) and seemed oblivious to the 10 or so customers sitting waiting.
It was the same at the pool. Not once in 6 days did someone come and ask if I would like a drink, and I didn't see anyone else getting service at the pool. You would think they would be trying to make money where they can, but no they just seem to want to cover the basics.
As stated above, there is a free shuttle bus to the shopping areas. When we checked in, I asked if I could book for the next day but was told it was a first come first served basis, which was fine. The next morning I arrived 15 minutes early, and despite being the only person there, and a sign clearly stating the service was first come first served, the concierge informed me the bus was 'fully booked'. When I asked him to explain how this could be, he just kept saying 'A group booked it yesterday' and then told me I'd have to take it up with the manager. It was only after complaining, that the hotel agreed to put on another bus.
Prices. Here's the problem... this is a 4 star hotel charging 5 star prices. A coffee in the lounge is £4 and... you don't even get a cookie with it! These are Dubai prices, but at least in Dubai if you pay £4 for a coffee, you get free biscuits/ cookies.
A bowl of soup in the cafe was £6, but if you go 2 mins across the road to the Oasis centre, there's a restaurant called Ria, and you can get a delicious bowl of soup for £1.20.
Breakfast is ok, but it's not the best. Choice is quite limited compared to other hotels we've stayed in, and agin the service is slow and grudged.
The hotel does do a different themed buffet each night for about £15 pp. We didn't try it, but the food looked delicious.
We did go to the Italian restaurant one night, but they had a private function on and so couldn't serve us.
All in all this is a nice hotel, but they could make it an amazing hotel if they invest in some good customer service training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Taking its name from an old Malay expression 'sejauh di sana' meaning - as far as the eye can see - The Saujana Hotel Kuala Lumpur, a 5 star deluxe resort-style hotel, is a member of WorldHotels. Nestled amidst 160-hectares of lush tropical gardens, this 250-room newly revitalized retreat is adjoined to two 18-hole championship golf courses of Saujana Golf & Country Club, undeniably a haven for business and pleasure. Located 30 minutes from Kuala Lumpur's city center and 35 minutes from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), the hotel is only 5 minutes away from Skypark (formerly Subang Airport) and private jet aviation hub. Facilities of this well-appointed deluxe resort include extensive dining choices, practical function areas, numerous meeting room options and a host of delightful recreational activities to suit every traveller's needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your The Saujana Kuala Lumpur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Saujana Hotel Shah Alam
- Saujana Kuala Lumpur Hotel
- Saujana Kuala Lumpur Shah Alam