“Expensive and remote”

The Saujana Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Shah Alam
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our Malaysian office is in Shah Allam, so this hotel is a good location, but it is remote from everything else and expensive. the pool is nice and the ambiance of the hotel great. all the staff are welcoming and friendly.
I had Sunday free and asked the price of a foot massage was shocked at 240RM against 25-40RM outside. a taxi and massage worked out cheaper.
a good selection of food in the different restaurants, check when the hotel has function on, sometimes these take over a restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 29, 2012

A couple of times been to Malaysia and for the first time staying in this hotel with my family for my brother weddings in July brings me a pleasant experience. First the location, the hotel is located far away from the city, and if you're planning for a pedestrian friendly to landmarks you can well forget about it but do love it's tropical surroundings. Check in was quick and efficient the front desk staff was polite and very accomodating. Our Executive Deluxe room were good, spacious and the view is amazing, although the room service was pretty slow and the food was just okay. The mini bar is well stocked and loundry service is acceptable. The lobby lounge is not air conditioned but the service was pretty neat. The pool was big and absolutely has the resort feel within the city.

Everything was well except when my brother wife's families encountered some problems on her room reservations but was sorted off by the receptionist quickly. Lovely lakeside view and a good round of golf before the wedding makes it a good holiday. The ballroom is big and the food was excellent. The wedding arrangement was greatly done which was the most important occasion for my brother, his wife and us. Andy Yeap the Wedding Planner definitely did a great job, he was seen around from morning till midnight! his meticulous effort in ensuring the whole wedding runs well certainly deserved a double thumbs up.

The taxi service was pricey and there is no public transport serving that area, getting to the nearest mall is relatively near but under Malaysian searing heat you are advise to apply some sun lotions before you go.The overall hospitality of its staff was pleasant. Me and my family definitely had a great time get together.

Will come back again in the near future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank GaryAC
Reviewed September 23, 2012

An example of how hopeless Malaysia can be.
Stayed for several days. I used the minibar only once, as it was never restocked.
At checkout there was my first day's minibar consumption billed for EVERY day! Naturally I objected to this.
I have never seen a hotel more bewildered at handling such a situation. They took almost an hour to work out that I'd only emptied the minibar once, and they'd been too inept to ever restock it.
After I'd lost an hour of my life waiting for the staff to sort out the bill, the supervisor who dealt with the situation with the speed of a glacier, THEN demanded that I immediately front the reception desk and check out.
People skills seemed to be a foreign concept.

I have never been treated so horribly at a hotel reception desk, or handled by reception & house staff who are so inept at handling what was the hotel's mistake.

I do not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Charlene M
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had stayed in Saujana a couple months ago and it was definitely not great. The rooms are dated and not comfortable, the bathroom is sketchy, and there was a small family of gecko lizards that lived in there as well. Promised myself I would not stay here again.

I went back last week to arrange a business lunch with 7 colleagues. Saujana was chosen as the venue, purely because of its location. Just coming off a plane, I had a few critical emails I needed to access to get files necessary for that lunch meeting. I was appalled that the charge was about USD 30 for access >2 hours. The lunch I was about to buy for 7 would have surely costed 100s, but none of the staff believed that could justify giving me a free wifi password.

I let the staff know that the charge was a rip-off, and even filled in a brief comment form to let management know.

Finally, I got my USD 30 wifi connection and struggled for 30 minutes with an extremely slow connection speed. It was like using a dial-up service all over again. Because of the urgency of getting these documents, I had to give up, call my colleagues and change the venue, as I knew there was a Starbucks nearby that offered FREE, RELIABLE internet connections.

The general manager later wrote to me in response to the comment form that suggested the USD 30 was a major turn-off, and I would in the future opt out of giving them any more of my business (I travel to Subang about 2 times per month). His email focused on justifying the charge. My reply to this guy was that not only was it a rip-off as described in my comment form, but the service they were selling for USD 30 didnt even work. He's yet to reply to that email; I guess there is not much you can say when you realize your running a poor business.

The staff were not useful during my intiial stay, or when I was struggling to get a wifi connection. Definitely would recommend people to not stay here. Additionally, they make a total rip off on taxis. When I left for the starbucks (5 mins down the road) the hotel taxi imposed a "standard" charge of 30 ringgit. My ride there in a VIP airport taxi was only 12 ringgit (same exact distance)

Dont stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank greg_plifka
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night while attending a talk, After two hours of checking in ,noted that the air conditioner was faulty. Called the operator who promised to send a technician. The technician took about halt an hour to come.Promised to check the central system but after 1 hour still the same and no feedback given to me. Had to call the hotel front office about 4 times but no one was bothered to let us know if the problem was going to be fixed or not.At 11pm decided to check out of the hotel and went to another hotel.Didnt expect the service from a 5 star hotel!! Hotel definitely needs to be upgraded.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Ian H, General Manager at The Saujana Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Polraj

This is a matter of great concern for which I will personally handle and follow up. Certainly, the hotel prides itself on quick responses to client' issues particularly where comfort is concerned. Rest assured, this matter will be dealt with and action taken. However, please do call me personally should you be wishing to stay in the area again, and I will handle your comfort for your stay and make ammends for this visit.to the best of my ability. Our newly refurbished wings are certainly comfortable and appreciated by our guests and will ensure you are allocated the upgrade accordingly.
With every appreciation for your comment and the opportunity to make ammends.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We actually stayed at The Saujana by default. I had booked and received confirmation in November last year for us to have 2 nights at The Club Hotel at the Saujana but upon arrival we were told that no rooms were avail. Apparently a world renowned soccer team had, a couple of months previously, booked out the entire Club Hotel! The Manager was most apologetic and offered us accommodation in the best room at The Saujana - next door. I was not at all happy about the situation but there was nothing to be done so we had 2 nights in an Executive Suite at The Saujana. (Incidentally the Manager of The Club did offer us 2 free nights to be used within 6 months - living in Australia it's not likely we'll be back within that time!)

The Executive Suite was enormous. Spacious bedroom, huge bathroom, dressing room, living room, large dining area, kitchen, desk, another toilet. It was a very nice room but I wouldn't rave about it. There was a strange smell that hit you immediately the door was opened (not sure if it was coming through the air con?) and the carpet was worn in parts. As the windows were not floor to ceiling the room was also fairly dark but however, we were fortunate there was a room available I suppose otherwise I don't know what we'd have done?! It was very clean and very comfortable but probably a bit dated?

There was a nice swimming pool, lovely sweeping gardens down to a lake and very attractive eating areas - although you wouldn't say the prices were inexpensive. Near the reception desk there is also a large, comfy sitting area to relax and have a snack or a drink?

Renovations are being carried out at this resort at present which is a good thing as the resort does have a bit of a "tired" look about it and is in need of some refurbishment.

My husband utilized the air conditioned gym a couple of times and he was happy with it. Certainly better than some gyms we've seen at Hotels in the past.

This hotel is near the domestic Subang airport which is why we chose this area but it is a long way from the city so if you don't need the airport I would wonder why you'd choose this location?

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Bubsky

I really appreciate the time taken to write exstensively on your stay at The Saujana Resort and in particular your experiences on the services offered by both the Saujana Hotel and The Club The Saujana Resort. The Chef has been really explicit in driving the meal experience and especially the 'cosy' feeling of the terrace with mini waterfall and tropical surrounds. I have made note of your recommendations and taken appropriate actions to remedy your issues.
I sincerely hope that you can return within the time span notified by the Hotel Manager for complimentary accommodation, but do assure you that all your points have been noted and we continue to strive to make The Saujana Resort a delightful and pleasurable experience

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed in The Saujana Kuala Lumpur Hotel in Shah Alam for one night in July, because I needed to catch the early morning flight to Redang Island next day. I chose Saujana because it's very close to the Subang Airport.

I booked a Superior Room early in May. However, later I knew that Saujana had renovated their Deluxe Rooms. When I checked in, I paid more to upgrade to the newly renovated Deluxe Room. The renovated room looked great, it's really brand new. The view of the room was good too, it's facing the resort's swimming pool, the garden and can also see the lake. However, I was a bit disappointed that the bathroom was not renovated. The bathroom was quite old fashioned, though it was very clean.

As I arrived Saujana around 5:30 pm, so I can only take a short time to walk around the resort. The resort environment was very nice, there's a swimming pool surrounded by a beautiful garden. The buildings were all 3 storey low-rise buildings and I should say the resort has done a good job on maintaining the greenery environment. There's also a lake and the opposite side was the golf course. The resort successfully created a relaxing atmosphere.

Just next to Saujana, it's the more luxurious The Club at Saujana Resort. The Club looks even quieter and there's a beautiful lounge. The swimming pool looked very like the "Aman style" pool. There's also a beautiful garden outside the lounge and the restaurant. The Club was also one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

There are several restaurants in The Saujana. We originally wanted to have dinner in the Senja restaurant inside The Saujana. However, it was under renovation so it's closed. Then we chose The Restaurant in The Club. The food was very delicious and the environment was so romantic and quiet. We enjoyed the dinner very much! Too bad that we didn't have time to try the spa in The Club. Heard that it's very good and they offered some discount to the hotel's guests, what a waste!

However, there a few issues I think the Management should improve:
1. When I wanted to take a shower at night, I found the shower did not work! Although they sent a staff to fix the problem quickly, it still created inconvenience to us.

2. The air-conditioning in the room was extremely cold! The biggest problem was that no matter I adjusted the temperature from 24 degrees to 30 degrees, and turned the fan from "normal" to "low", the air-conditioning was still the same! I and my wife could not sleep well so we had to phone the housekeeping to provide us one more blanket. This really affected our sleeping quality. I could not accept this for a 5 star hotel like The Saujana.

3. We took a taxi from The Saujana to the Subang Airport the next morning. The taxi charged us RM 30 for only a 5-minute journey! I understand it's a "Premium Executive Taxi" and it's more expensive for taxis waiting outside the hotel. But I still think it's way too expensive! I took the taxi from LCCT to The Saujana, it just charged me RM 84 for around 45-min journey!

I hope the management of The Saujana can improve these problems. I really like the environment of The Saujana and its location is so good if you need to catch a flight in the Subang Airport!

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the garden or the lake, the view is great!