“A Facade of a Western Hotel”

Grand Bluewave Hotel Shah Alam
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Shah Alam
Reviewed April 4, 2014

There are certain things that get a hotel an instant 1 star rating. Grand Blue Wave seems like a nice place to stay, and I thought so on my first night here as the room initially looked decent. But by day five I considered my need to leave dire.

They brand themselves as a western "international class" hotel.

Day one the room was nice, the staff polite and they speak English. On day two I found someone else's worn socks under my bed. Gross. On day three I noticed that the underside of my blanket have what look like urine stains (hell I hope its only urine). Again, gross.

On day four my coworker and I asked where the hotel bar was, and they tell us this is a Muslim hotel and there is no alcohol allowed. Not just no bar, but no alcohol allowed. I am aware of the local culture in the area, but how can you brand yourself as an "international class" hotel and not have alcohol.

On day five, as I was going to sleep I turned one of my pillows over. Blood Stains. Instant one star rating. It is painfully obvious that they only clean the rooms on the surface and don't even look under the bed or behind furniture. I don't know if they ever wash their bedding. This is one of the most disgusting hotels I have ever had the displeasure of staying at.

Aside from the uncleanliness (it looks clean since they fold the blankets and pillows so their cleaner side is out) the hotel is not as western friendly as they claim as they are a religious-affiliated institution. By western standards Muslim culture is very restrictive. This hotel should NOT be advertised as an international hotel.

The food looks good but really isn't. Breakfast is free and they have a prolific choice of food, but it is all mediocre. I got dinner in the hotel on my last day, and I am fairly certain the same rolls served at breakfast made an appearance at dinner. Same shape and size, just stale and hard. They have so many employees manning the restaurant (more employees than patrons when I had dinner) but they still managed to provide poor service, taking them 15 minutes to get me water and making me stack my (buffet) plates before they came and took them away.

The internet, while free, is extremely spotty. It was impossible to use Skype even in audio-only mode. The connection dropped constantly even when I was sitting at the desk. When it worked it was very slow. At least it did not seem to be government censored, as was the internet at the location I was working at.

The TV is from the 80s. There is nothing to do in the hotel as there is no bar, and KL is an hour away if going during peak hour (30min by cab if non-peak). Overall this place puts up a facade of being a western international hotel but they have not the cleanliness or services to actually support that claim. I will never stay in this hotel again which is not a problem, as there are many other hotels in the area and many more currently in construction.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank swraman

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on a work trip. Hotel was relatively clean although my colleague did find stains on the sheets and empty bottles behind the sofa in her room. My room was clean. However this hotel is rather isolated and it's a good thing that we had arranged transport for work. There is nothing nearby at all, no mall nothing.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank angstansg
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Never been to this hotel as it looks old but once you're in the room, you will be amazed. Quite spacious room,efficient lift and clean room with nice view. I get the Ladies Floor room on the 17th floor. Efficient staff when ask for room service but NON friendly staff at the front desk.
Not a smooth check in and check out.

During check in,they didn't find my booking form and didn't ask politely whether to pay using credit card or by cash. During check out, there is only 1 staff and have a long queue and because of that the staff gave me short amount of deposit back.

Overall, nice hotel to stay,great ambience, nice food but non friendly and slow staff.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Have been staying at this hotel on numerous occasions. Managed to get a good deal thru Agoda. The hotel has maintained its 5 star shine. Still the best at Shah Alam. The lifts are super efficient. On the second day, hung the "do not disturb" sign at the door when we were out. So housekeeping did not clean the room. At night, housekeeping staff knocked the door and asked whether I need housekeeping service since they could not do it in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee C
Reviewed January 6, 2014

i stayed over for 3 days 2 nights for a company event. it looks old, but had all the necessities required. TV should be upgraded to a flat screen. bedsheet was quite dusty.
food was good though. public toilets was smelly and old too. called to request for extra pillow and towel. Got it within minutes. Fast service.
overall stay average.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

The interior is showing its age, with peeled off wallpaper and worn out carpet at places. But the toilet is clean, the bed is clean.

For business traveller you should know that in-room Wifi is not free, and 3G reception is not great if you intend to use your mobile internet.

My room had a few ants exploring on work desk and tv stand. The fridge and coffee/tea are under the tv stand so this could be the reason.

Be sure to mention you want to stay on smoke-free floor if you are non-smoker. On arrival we were given rooms on 9th floor which reeks of cigarette smoke; swapped to 16th and it's a non-smoking floor.

Sound insulation not that great: if people upstairs are walking or talking loudly, you would know.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We were in Shah Alam for 1 night only to visit the Malaysia Islamic Children Fair. I believe this hotel was the only full service hotel available in the area of Shah Alam Seksyen 14. I travelled with spouse and 3 kids.

Location
The hotel is within walking distance to the nearest mall i.e. Shah Alam Convention Centre Mall. Though there is a hotel beside the mall but it is smaller than this hotel. No much traffic in this area therefore there should be easy to walk and drive.

Room
The room met my expectation with the value that I paid and feels like a 3-4 star. It is spacious and semi modern. Nicely decorated and not the usual boring room. TV is the standard 32 inch LCD TV with decent cable channels. The bed is comfortable and big enough for all of us to sleep in. One complaint is that the carpet is very dirty, full of hair. I drop my food once and shocked to pick up a bunch of hair together with the food.

The bathroom features a bathtub together with shower facilities. Hot water is consistent though the water is a bit dirty than normal. Maybe the piping is old.

Check in and check out was smooth. No waiting at all. We were served promptly.

There is no review for food and facilities as we did not take the breakfast and did not venture anywhere except for the children fair.

Overall, the experience was pleasant and if there is another fair or conference in Shah Alam, we would probably return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family