“Comfortable and polite”

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Shah Alam
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable and polite”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

An overnight stay with work after a days international travel, this hotel provided good spacious accommodation. The staff were very polite and freindly offering assistance at all times. Value for money with great dining facilities.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Samantha L, Public Relations Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear LungGel,

We thank you very much for staying with us when you traveled recently.

What a simple and sweet comment. We truly appreciate your kind compliments and we are glad that you find staying in our hotel a good value for money.

We look forward to many more opportunities to being of services to you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
France
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My son and I had to make a dashing visit to Malaysia see my mum who was ill at my sister's house in Shah Alam. The Concorde Hotel was an obvious choice because we thought that is the only hotel there- actually we were wrong. There are at least two others, the Blue Wave hotel and the UiTM hotel. However we were pleased that we chose to stay here.

We stayed at the premier floor at level 4. The room has small kitchenette -which includes a sink and some plates and a microwave oven, all were handy as we stayed there for about a week. The room was well appointed, the bed very comfortable and the amenities lovely. The room also has small balcony, which I used, to enjoy some privacy away from my son as I had to discuss the state of my mother's illness. I thought that the housekeeper was alright, without being excellent- the cleanliness is good but my fussy eyes could detect dust on the trimmings of the mirror in the bathroom. perhaps I was too fussy.

As it turned out, when I arrived my mother's condition deteriorated and she was hospitalised at a nearby hospital. The premier floor services included cocktail around 5 till 7pm, which given my situation at the time, I hardly used. However, the one time my son and I used it, we had a ball. There were groups of people (golfers I think) who were enjoying the food, rather too much.. ie as if it was dinner... so we were often left with nothing an everytime the plates were replenished, they gobbled up everything, leaving nothing for my son and I. The manager gave us a soft smile and a whisper, please stay where you were, I would ensure the food got to you. so he sent us a plate of food every so often and we were happy catching up with my sister, her husband and her 4 year old son.

The breakfast was good, they had roti canai, my son's favourite meal and so we didn't have to walk to the shops for that sort of breakfast. The spread and choice was good without being superb, so was the standard and the taste. My son would have rated the buffet breakfast excellent except they never did replenish the pau ayam- or steamed chicken bun (Chinese style) and everyday he would check and they kept on telling him, finished! for a boy who had travelled 7,000km to visit his sick grandmama, no is not really what he wanted to hear!

What I do find superb is the concierge service. As my mother's condition deteriorated, I had to leave my son in the room as I attended to my mother's needs. At one point I had to call the concierge to drop my son off as I had to stay in the hospital for an extended hours. They did it promptly and with care as he was a minor and we were not charged for it.

The limousine service was excellent too. The driver, a young man from Kelantan by the name of Firdaus, picked us up from the airport, also dropped us back to the airport when it was time to leave. He was kind and considerate and made a detour to the hospital at 6am in the morning and did not rush us at all. ( As it turned out, that was the last good moment my son and I had with my mother, she passed away a few days after that)

He also offered prayers and to do more prayers for my dear mother,which I accepted graciously as my mother's condition was critical. I left for Australia and to be told by my siblings the next day that, he arrived at the hospital for some blessed water for my mother, which was very very sweet. That sort of service will have to genuinely come from the heart, as we were complete strangers to him and we were in absolute despair about my mother's health.

So whilst the overall stay at the hotel was average, we had two excellent, out of the ordinary services. One was the premier club's manager and the other was the limousine driver. Based on that I would recommend the stay here, and will have no hesitation to come back! The hotel is closed to shops and we eat our lunch at the Cili merah restaurant at the back of the hotel. beautiful authentic malay cooking! highly recommended!

Room Tip: Find a room facing the mosque- it is a beautiful building!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Samantha L, Public Relations Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Nenekebayan,

On behalf of the Management and hosts of Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, please accept our deepest condolence to you and your family in the loss of your beloved mother. We are terribly sorry to learn about your loss.

Nevertheless, we want to thank you for choosing Concorde Hotel Shah Alam during your visit to Shah Alam. We note your comments regarding the services rendered by our Housekeeper and your encounter during the breakfast. Rest assured the department heads concerned have taken note and will work on the necessary improvements.

Nenekebayan, though you have visited to and departed from Shah Alam with a heavy heart, but we are glad that our sensitive hosts were able to console you, at least while you were 7,000km away from home. Please be assured that your kind complements have been conveyed to them and shared with all service hosts in the hotel as a role model.

Nenekebayan, we know that it’s a long journey for you to visit us again. However, we look forward to welcoming you should you travel to Shah Alam again in the future.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Concorde Shah Alam is a well-located business hotel in the heart of Shah Alam, offering plenty of amenities and very attractive rates for a hotel of this quality. However, while the hotel seems to be slowly refurbishing its rooms, if you get one of the older un-updated rooms, it's not quite as nice as it could be. Read on for more:

LOCATION:
The Concorde is located right in the heart of Shah Alam, directly across the street from the Blue Mosque, and some rooms have a fantastic view. There is plenty of shopping and dining within easy walking distance of the hotel. By taxi, the hotel is about 45-60 minutes from KL International Airport, depending on traffic. Note that during rush hour times, that traffic can be significant -- arriving late on a Friday afternoon, the drive took almost 90 minutes, but that was unusually slow.

PROPERTY:
The Concorde is a high-rise style hotel, with amenities on floors 1-3, and guest rooms above that. There is a full service restaurant and lounge to the right of the lobby, an attached shopping arcade in the hotel itself with a general gift shop and then some higher-end stores. The lobby itself is spacious and well-appointed, with comfortable couches available for waiting or getting some work done before going out.

AMENITIES:
The hotel offers basically anything you could ask for: pool, fitness center, full-service spa, shopping, dining, complimentary in-room Internet, business center, and more. There is a complimentary shuttle that runs to popular area attractions, including all the way to downtown KL central mall. The shuttle schedule is a bit sparse and could be offered more frequently, but given the generous offering it's tough to complain too much! Complimentary Internet is available for 2 devices, and the registration system is a bit strange -- the system will occasionally "forget" your device, and if you didn't write down the registration code given when activating the service (which is different from the "activation code" you need to connect in the first place), you'll have to call technical support to regain access. However, if you DO keep track of it, then the Internet service is fast and available anywhere in the hotel, including the lobby and restaurants. Two complimentary bottles of drinking water are included daily in the room, and there is a small refrigerator in the room that doubles as a mini-bar.

ROOMS:
The room was adequate, but I was clearly in a non-refurbished room, so it was a bit disappointing. Peeling paint on the entryway and bathroom ceilings, worn carpeting and desk chair, and some dust and grime in the corners. While that was a bit off-putting, the majority of the room was clean and the bed was fairly comfortable. The bathroom is also spacious and nicely appointed, but the thick shower curtain and lack of in-shower light meant that it was actually rather dim in the shower during use. Water pressure was ok. Re-reading the above, it sounds a bit more critical than it probably should -- while accurate, the room was overall pretty nice. It just wasn't great, and would benefit hugely by a new coat of paint and some updated fixtures. Either way, though, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

STAFF:
The Concorde's staff were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. From the moment you arrive at the front door, they are at your service to meet any need. I was very pleased with the service received, and am thankful for their prompt and friendly assistance!

Overall, the Concorde Shah Alam is a very nice hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting the area. Plenty of local amenities, easy access to the entire KL metro area, and excellent on-site services made my brief stay a comfortable one. The disappointing age and quality of the room prevent me from giving this hotel 5 stars, but I think that it would have been a solid contender if I'd been placed in a refurbished room instead. This hotel could become an excellent property as it continues its renovation plans.

Recommended to business travelers or other visitors with a need to be in Shah Alam, or who don't mind the distance to downtown KL.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded/renovated room!
Dear Darlox,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for giving us an opportunity to being of services to you.

We must say that your review is very detailed and covered all aspects. We are glad to know that you recognized all our strengths and had an enjoyable stay here. While we are in joy knowing that you were overall satisfied with our services and facilities, we also note your remarks regarding the appearance of our non-renovated rooms.

Nevertheless, we are delighted to know that you have noticed our upgrading projects. The projects lined up touch on different areas; we definitely hope to welcome you with a better condition the next trip you are with us again.

As for the complimentary scheduled shuttle service, we are unable to provide a more frequent schedule at this moment due to the long distance of the destinations from our hotel. However, the Management will consider to increase its frequency in the future, when we are better equipped and well-planned.

Dear Darlox, we once again thank you very much for your kind support and sharing your staying experience on TripAdvisor. We certainly look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel Concorde gave me advantage of staying near factory and avoiding 3-4 hr daily travel by staying at Kuala Lumpur. At the same time, I would also say that there was no compromise in comfort of stay.

I stayed in premier room which had added advantages of on phone call back home, unlimited drinks in evening, a food coupon adds to the pleasure of staying there.

The view of Blue Mosque from room window makes every morning lucky.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Samantha L, Public Relations Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Sanjeev_Kr_Sharma,

We thank you for giving us an opportunity to render services to you during your recent visit to Shah Alam.

Concorde Hotel Shah Alam is strategically located in the commercial hub of Shah Alam and nearby important industrial areas and recreational attractions. If one is required to travel to the factory areas, staying in Concorde Hotel Shah Alam is indeed time-saving compared with staying in KL hotels.

We are very happy to know that you found staying at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam a pleasant experience and that you enjoyed our exclusive Premier Privileges.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Concorde Hotel Shah Alam again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Well folks this was a short business trip to the home of Selangor Silver in Shah Alam , Malaysia. The first impression was that this hotel is right next door to a shopping plaza, which had everything required, wether that be eating the local cuisine, getting take away or shopping at the local supermarket. The reception staff were most polite and extremely helpful. Upon reaching my room which certainly aren't the most modern in the world, however the bed is comfortable and the bathroom sufficient, the TV is an old analogue but it all worked fine. I immediately headed for the Fitness Centre and this my friends is where this place is great, with a well fitted Gym, loverly and quite big exterior pool, a super Steam Sauna although a touch old it really did the job and for those who like a dry sauna...it worked fine. Just a little tip they do have opening and closing times however the staff who were all terrific did let my stay a little later. A nice shower at the end of each session provided a great start or finish to the day. If I had one little bit of a problem it was breakfast, our start times for each day was around 8.30am which meant that we had brekky around 8am, I have no idea where all the food went but they did not replenish the the food which restricted me to left overs, but there was still heaps of food there, so no big deal! All in all a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: From all reports from the people I was there rooms were all the same, however there is a premier roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Samantha L, Public Relations Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear SantaMe,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for choosing Concorde Hotel Shah Alam as your accommodation destination during your recent business trip down to Shah Alam.

We are very much delighted to know that you were overall satisfied with your stay in our hotel and that you enjoyed our facilities like the fitness center, swimming pool, sauna and steam room.

As our hotel is located right next to the Plaza Masalam and nearby the commercial areas, you are indeed right that getting things and eateries are not a problem at all. In case you haven’t discovered, a famous fast food, the popular Restaurant Zam Zam which offered a wide array of Arabic food and some other specialties restaurants are just located at the other side of the mall, not to mention the choices available within the mall itself.

We realize that there are rooms to improve on our facilities and guest rooms. To provide and maintain a comfortable staying experience to our guests, we are upgrading the hotel in stages. In fact, renovations for the Superior and Deluxe Executive rooms have been done early this year. If you are traveling to Shah Alam again soon, you might be interested to view our renovated rooms and Premier rooms.

We also note your experience encountered during breakfast and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Your remarks have been highlighted to our chef to further improve on the replenishment of food. Rest assured we will do our utmost to provide a better experience for our guests.

SantaMe, we thank you very much for your constructive feedback. It’s was certainly our pleasure to be able to provide services to you. We look forward to another opportunity to being of services to you and once again, we thank you for your support.
Penang
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights in a Premier room. We were given a room which had none of the stale smoky smell which a few people had written about. The room smelt fresh, clean, and had a comfy bed plus a bathroom with both a walk in shower and long bath.

I liked the complimentary green apples placed at the lift lobby on the Premier floors although I would have preferred red ones. But I thought that was a nice friendly touch indeed.

The lifts should have installed room card scanners so that only registered guests have access to the rooms. It's just for that extra level of safety and peace of mind that the hotel may want to consider when it's time to upgrade the lifts.

The Premier Lounge facilities are outstanding. For breakfast,  one can choose to have either a limited menu buffet breakfast in the lounge or at the coffee house which offers a more extensive spread.

Throughout the day, the lounge is open for Premier room guests to have coffee and soft drinks. It's happy hour from 6.00pm till 8.00pm. That's when finger food, sandwiches etc are served together with complimentary beers, wines and liquors! You can even bring along a friend to share the good times with.  How absolutely splendid is that?

Regarding other F & B outlets in the vicinity, we concluded that it was OK. Safe with no surprises. One place that stood out was the Nasi Hadramot and their mandi chicken with briyani.

Generally,  the Concorde Shah Alam is a very nice hotel with even nicer staff. If ever in Shah Alam, you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Samantha L, Public Relations Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear YuinTek,

Greetings from Concorde Hotel Shah Alam!

We thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Shah Alam and choosing to stay in our Premier Floor. We are glad to learn that you were overall satisfied with our rooms, food served, facilities and that you had especially enjoyed our Premier Privileges and services rendered by our hosts. Being in the hospitality industry, nothing’s more satisfying to know that we have made our guests’ stay an enjoyable one.

With regards to your suggestion of installing keycard scanners inside the guest lifts, we are pleased to share with you that we have been looking into this matter and installing restricted keycard-lift access is part of our upgrading projects in line.

YuinTek, once again we thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your support and we look forward to having you back again during your next trip to Shah Alam.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was in KL for a weekend and needed to be near Shah Alam. The Concorde was handy and the best hotel around.

The rooms have had a bit of a makeover so its nicer than when I stayed a few years ago.

Overall, I was very happy with the stay.

Splash out a little extra for the Premier Suites. Well worth it and good value!

• Stayed August 2012
Samantha L, Public Relations Manager at Concorde Hotel Shah Alam, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear gilbertenstein,

We thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur and recognizing us as the best hotel in the vicinity of Shah Alam.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here and you found the outcome of our facelift projects satisfying. We are also delighted to know that you find staying at our Premier Suite is a value of money. Indeed it worth the money, apart from the spacious room that comes with separate bedroom and living room, we are also confident that the exclusive privileges offered for Premier Floor guests and the access to Premier Lounge are plus points making your staying experience here even more convenient and enjoyable.

Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor gilbertenstein, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shah Alam
#8 of 26 in Shah Alam
Concorde Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Concorde Hotel Kuala Lumpur
#44 of 345 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to Concorde Hotel Shah Alam? Share your experiences!