“Avoid making calls to local mobile phones”

Holiday Inn Kuala Lumpur Glenmarie
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Shah Alam
zentral schweiz
“Avoid making calls to local mobile phones”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We've stayed at this hotel since the days it was Pan Pacific, a few times when we visit KL because my husband is a golfer. The rooms are spacious and some of them overlook the golf course. The breakfast buffet is extensive, offering Western, Japanese, Chinese, Malay and Indian choices.

However there were 2 downsides this recent stay. We had a shock when we got our bill. When we checked at reception, we were told phone calls to local mobile phones are charged at MYR 4 a minute (US$1.18). These mobile rates are not displayed anywhere in the room and we had no warning - imagine paying US$20 for a 16 minute phone call!
Golfing on weekends and public holidays is also a problem. The Glenmarie golf course is a private course and members have enacted rules - minimum 3 golfers per flight on weekends and public holidays, plus almost double green fees. The proshop will not take a name to make up a flight, but insists that the hotel has to find 3 guests to play. The concierge desk was quite helpful and found another couple to play on 1 day, but other days there were no other hotel guests who wanted to golf. The hotel is quite far from town, but near the industrial area of Shah Alam. The only advantage of staying here for us is the golf course, and if our next visit to KL is on a weekend or public holiday, we would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Korean first
London UK
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Stayed here for just one night which was enough. The hotel is quite out of the way but not important if you have transport. Rooms are old and desperately in need of a makeover. Our room had blown lamps and a general air of neglect. Despite informing the hotel in advance that we were a couple, we had only 1 robe. The in-room safe was locked and when I called for someone to come and unlock it - nobody came. The same was true when we checked out - took 15 minutes for someone to come to help us with our luggage.
Food was OK but overpriced but have to say the breakfast was great with lots of choice.
Only stay here if you have to as there are much better places around.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
brunei
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for 10days/9nights in July 2009.

The hotel is situated in a quite secluded area. The taxi driver I got from KLIA was not very sure of it when I first mentioned it to him but we got there nonetheless. It cost me RM60 from the airport to the hotel.

The lobby is of an open concept, there weren't any doors from the drop off zone to the receptionist counter. Very elegantly decorated lobby.

Going to the room allocated was a little bit daunting as i arrived alone near to midnight (my partner only arrived the next day) and the rooms are situated on these corridors which are outdoors and not really well-lit.

The room is really spacious and had a golf course view. TV channels are a bit limited but still has a reasonable selection. the bathroom is clean.

One thing I notice is the presence of insects and mosquitoes in the hotel. I got bittena few times when i was in my room.

The major disadvantage of this hotel is the location. Its suitable if what you are looking to have is a golfing holiday, but terrible for shopping trip. However the hotel does provide a shuttle bus service to the nearest LRT station (kelana jaya) and also sunway pyramid shopping mall on weekdays. You will need to book in advance as it is limited seating.

During the weekend, the shuttle service provided extends to Bukit Bintang and One utama shopping mall. Again you have to book in advance the day before. However, at one time, we booked the service the night before only to be told the next morning that it was cancelled - I would have appreciated if someone was to inform me earlier rather than when I was already waiting for the bus.

And even for the shuttle service to sunway pyramid mall, sometimes they have limited pick up time; so sometimes it's easier to get a taxi from there back to the hotel. The roads going back to the hotel are quite dark at night.

taxis are readily available at the hotel but they carry a surcharge of RM5.

The pool area is quite good and is usually quiet. It also has a nearby spa but seems to be quite pricey so I didnt go.

On checking out, the staff was going to charge me for the room though I have already paid for it online; this was resolved quite swiftly.

Overall I would stay again at this hotel as it is cheaper than hotels which are quite centrally located, for the whole of my stay I only had to pay RM1200 - to compare a hotel in Bukit bintang area of the same standard would have cost me triple that.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ifa2302
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I had a week-end to kill in KL and selected this hotel for all the reasons mentioned in previous reviews (NOT close to city center, relaxing etc).
The grounds are fantastic with a golf-course and driving range right in front of the hotel.
If you can handle the typical Malaysian heat it's a great way to spend a day. There were multiple pools and good restaurants. There is full spa & massage faicility and a 'Pub' with a local band playing at week-ends. The hotel itself seems a little old (probably built in 70s) and the sound insulation between the rooms is not great but average.
If you just want to hang out for a few days near KL and don't want to deal with the heat and stress of downtown KL I would recommend this place. Taxi ride from airport is around 80RM and 40-50RM to downtown.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank abcadvisor
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2009

In response to Post #2, the HI Glenmarie is located nearby to the (old) Subang airport in the SW of KL. Not the newer KLIA (the new International airport- which is more SSE).

Since KLIA opened, Subang now only handles limited domestic routes. Also, HI Glenmarie is located VERY far away from the center of KL itself.

If journeying to the hotel on the cheap, one needs to take the subway to the very last stop (Kelana Jaya). During certain hours you may contact the front desk and have them dispatch a hotel shuttle to pick you up from Kelana Jaya. Otherwise, you'll have to hail a cab to get to the hotel from the subway stop. At times I found it communication difficult with the staff re the shuttle (e.g. I assumed they were dispatching the shuttle when in truth they could not, because it was after hours).

I found this subway-shuttle/cab process tedious and time consuming after awhile. Then again I am partially to blame for not realizing how far away removed the hotel is from everything else.

If you are looking for a wonderful "oasis" of a hotel which you can simply stay, eat, lounge, and have all your activities at then HI Gleneagle is for you. Conferences, family reunions, even a wedding would be the appropriate type of activities. Another good reason to stay here would be if you have a flight out of Subang. Compared to HI's in the States (which are rather dumpy to say the least), HI Gleneagle will amaze and impress. Aside from the previous miscommunication(s), I found the staff to be most helpful and responsive to my requests. Wonderful persons, down to the bellhops at the counter.

But if you are looking to sightsee or plan to make frequent trips into the city center for business or pleasure, this is NOT the hotel for you. I didn't take a cab from the hotel directly into the city center, but I assume it would be priced accordingly. If this is your intention, my recommendation is to spend the extra $ and stay at a location closer to the center- you'll more than make up for the cost with time and taxi fares saved.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank frequent_trav_tx
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Nice hotel with excellent spa. Relaxed atmosphere. Hotel staff accomodating. Hotel located next to golf course which was heaven for me but quite a distance away from the city and amenities. Need to rent a car to get around as taxis in Kuala Lumpur are most unreliable and dishonest. Would recommend the hotel to golfers only.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We arrived for a one night stay to deal with personal business in the area. We were dealt with very promptly and efficiently at check-in and courtsey of out Platinum Priority Club were upgraded several levels to an Executive Suite. The room was well-appointed, modern and very clean. It appeared to have been recently refurbished - especially the bathroom, which had a huge walk-in shower, and a separate, deep, full-size bath. The bed was hugely comfortable and the linens nice. To be overly critical the towels weren't brand new and so had seen a bit of life but they were perfectly adequate. When we walked to our room and it became apparent that the corridors were 'open-air' (it is a resort hotel) I was a little concerned but the result was that our room was super quiet with non of the usual corridor noise from other guests and we had a great night's sleep.
In the evening we ate at the buffet dinner, which was a huge spread with an additional barbecue outside. It was nice for a non-meat eater to have such a wide choice of seafood. The food was tasy and hot and the service was calm and efficient. Breakfast the following morning was a similarly pleasant experience with one of the widest choices I have seen in this type of hotel. The only possible gripe was that the air con was fierce and I got cold very quickly.
The hotel looks out across the golf course, which makes it so much more tranquil then hotels in KL but equally don't stay here if you want to be in the city. There was a small garden area and the pool looked clean and inviting.
When we booked, the reviews seemed a bit mixed and of course you can always have an unfortunate experience but we had a really good stay and if we have to be in the area again we will come back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dorsett Grand Subang
Dorsett Grand Subang
#1 of 10 in Subang Jaya
Grand Bluewave Hotel Shah Alam

Been to Holiday Inn Kuala Lumpur Glenmarie? Share your experiences!