“Ok for a one night stopover”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of the youniQ Hotel

the youniQ Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Sepang
Perth Western Australia
“Ok for a one night stopover”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Youniq for one night. The hotel is new and small with adequately equipped rooms. I booked an XL room which was very small so I'd hate to think what a smaller room would be like. The bed was rock hard and uncomfortable and provided no rest. We also suffered through a night of loud traffic noise and the sound of motorbikes and cars having drag races along the road out the front.

There's no shower screen so the bathroom gets very messy and VERY slippery, beware! The hot water switch on the wall outside the bathroom is weird and I've never encountered that anywhere before.

We pre-booked a shuttle to the hotel but it didn't show up. I had to call to ask where it was and was told it would be on its way. We ended up waiting an hour all up. The return shuttle was spot on.

The staff are friendly enough. I wouldn't recommend a stay of more than one night.

The pluses are that the hotel is relatively close to both airports, its new and its very affordable.

Room Tip: Choose an XL room at the back of the hotel away from the noise of the road out the front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here while attending the GDA at Sepang from 15th-17th Jan 2013. Nicely decorated, rooms were small but clean, had queen sized bed, flatscreen TV mounted on wall, a safe, kettle, complimentary instant coffee. Tried to use the safe, couldn't figure it out with the instructions but couldn't be bothered to figure it out. Hot & cold water were provided in the central lounge of each floor. Room had airconditioning and hot shower. (Pl check water temp before jumping in! Hot water was boiling!) I was at Room 101 & it was right outside the lift which was good for me as it was right beside the central lounge area. Each floor had a common balcony for smokers which looks out onto the road. I'm a female & staying alone & attending the event alone but it was pretty safe.

I thought the reception service was excellent. I had emailed Kevin a few weeks prior and was told that I can arrange for shuttle to pick me up from LCCT and to send me back anytime for RM5. I was also told shuttle can take me to and fro Sepang. Pl take note that the online booking for airport-hotel shuttle has to be done 48hrs and more in advance of your stay. The hotel-airport shuttle can be booked at the reception once you are there. If u miss the shuttle hotel-airport, u can book a taxi at the airport BEFORE u leave arrival area. This was at LCCT, so take note. The taxi was about RM40+

Warning: Pl make sure u hv directions to hotel and a map. My cabbie had no idea how to get there & ticket from airport did not state detailed address. I had to get him to call hotel reception twice to find out how to get there. H/w, most cabbies would generally know how to get there if u have enough info on landmarks etc.

When I checked with reception, the girl informed me that shuttle hotel-Sepang was only for F1 event. After I told her about my email, she very nicely checked with the drivers and they slotted in a shuttle to bring me there. They however could not bring me back after the event as there were too many ppl after the show. This can be easily resolved by calling up the hotel from event location and asking them to send a taxi to you. Again, pl bring along their contact number and a map. Their hotel namecard has those details.

Warning: KL cabbies are rather well known to charge u higher if you are not local. As I walked down from Sepang after event, cabbies were asking for RM100 to bring me back. I got a cabbie's number from the hotel (someone they usually call up) and paid RM50 to get back. I had to wait quite a bit tho for him to turn up because I didn't book with him earlier. Cabbie was rather nice too :)

Warning: Sepang Intl Circuit is in the middle of nowhere. Pl make sure u hv transport arrangements and do not wander around alone especially if you're female. I was rather lucky that quite a number of event-goers were still around until my cabbie arrived. If you are still waiting for transport and it gets deserted, arrange for pickup opp the Circuit at the Petronas fuel station. At least you won't be alone and easy to find. The walk from event location to foot of hill is about 10-15 min tho.

I got the shuttle to Sepang on both days and the drivers were good, no problems. I chatted with them a bit - also nice guys.

I had read that there appears to be no shops around the area so I bought some staples from the stores at LCCT. It turns out there is a minimart right beside the hotel. Prices might vary but I didn't check. There are also 2 eating places, one beside the hotel and one behind it. I was told the one behind was better, bought food there once, it's quite good. There was also a small burger stand right outside the minimart and probably because there was a big event, the burger guy kept it open way til 2am. He was rather nice too :)

The hotel is in some industrial/business area but most of the buildings there were unoccupied. There is a Shell fuel station across the gigantic main road. There is free wifi which had a strong signal.

The only thing to complain about is the extremely thin walls. If you are a light sleeper & really need rest, this would be a problem. I could hear sounds of showers from nearby rooms, and ppl on my floor talking quite clearly. I'm fine with the bed and pillows but some ppl might find the pillows too soft. Also, the cleaning lady tried to come into my room 3 times even when I locked it and shouted out that I didn't need cleaning services. Had to open the door to inform her but props for being persistent lol.

All in all, it was a fantastic & smooth experience here. Stay only for events at Sepang and on a budget or for transit. The value for money for this hotel cannot be beaten. Shout out to the drivers and reception girl on day duty for excellent services. I would stay here again for future events at Sepang.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Zarinth
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A modern concept and nicely decorated, complimentary tea/coffee, toast bread for b/fast, Clean place with 2 lifts, friendly house keeping staff. worth the money we are paying,it was a great value for money but there is no restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: Please get the deluxe room, bigger space.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed one night on a stopover in KL, was leaving early in the morning so no point in going into the city.
Good points: It is cheap and clean and they offer a great value pickup and drop-off service to the nearby KLIA.
Cons: Rooms are tiny and in my case there was no hot water. It is in the middle of nowhere with only a poorly stocked convenience store next door. Breakfast is basic, just coffee and toast.
Would not use again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank orac53
Phuket
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The youniQ comes highly rated but at the risk of sounding like the minister of gloom I'm going to tell it how it really is. Firstly, if you are using the hotel to transit, ie arrive KL and your next flight out is the following morning it;s perfect but as far as staying there to visit KL it;s an absolute no go. Positives: excellent pick up and drop off service from the airport at a rediculously low 5myr each way, clean, friendly staff, comfortable bed, complimentary tea/coffee, toast until 11am. Negatives: in the middle of nowhere, two local eateries nearby, a lot more 15 mins walk away and a further 10 mins walk away if you want a cold beer. Advertised with cable TV but unless you want to watch BBC news 24/7 forget it. Bed very comfy as mentioned but room is minute. Thin walls so during the night and early hours of the morning you hear people coming and leaving. If I had to rate it purely as a transit hotel it would get 4 stars and as a place to stay whilst in KL it would be 1 to 2 hence the 3 star rating. Hope this helps. PS just read another review stating it was a big room. Same hotel? Check that out as there are obviously different size rooms.

Room Tip: As mentioned you couldn't swing a cat in mine so check with the hotel first to try and get a big...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hilltribeimport
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel is modern and nicely decorated and in a great location with respect to the airport. the staff were also very friendly too, it was a great value for money hotel. It is in the middle of nowhere though so just make sure you eat before you arrive as there is no restaurant and only a poorly stocked convenience shop next door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Their taxi was brilliant. Clean,relaxing,quiet and comfortable and great showers. Chose a delux room for a few dollars more. Overnight stopover gone before breakfast. No help with luggage but that was not a problem for me. Friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013