“2nd Stay”

Ranked #1 of 16 Sepang B&B and Inns
Gold Coast
“2nd Stay”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our 2nd time staying at Rumah Putiah and once again it was brilliant. Arrived in the afternoon and were able to completely relax and enjoy a swim in the lovely pool. We had booked the family room which is a great size and very comfortable. Wifi is available and the tv comes with a great selection of movies.
After a nice breakfast (continental + scrambled eggs) Jo took us to the local station where we caught the bus to LCCT.
Highly Recommend to all travellers seeking comfortable and quiet accommodation close to the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank thedabbos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We chose to stay here for one night as we had an early flight to catch the next day . James is such a great host and made sure everything was ready for us when we arrived. Our room was ready for us and it had the softest bed I had slept in in Asia which was a nice change from all those hard beds I had been sleeping on. The rooms are well appointed and clean and this place has a real homely feel to it. We felt very welcomed by James and felt right at home.

We decided to get some sleep since we were so jet lagged and we were not disturbed at all during our slumber. When we did get up we went to the nearby markets which were lovely and this is where we had the best food on our entire trip . it was at the Indian restaurant in the village who had really good food at ridiculously low prices.

We had to be at the airport by 6am and when we asked James about getting a taxi he offered to drop us off to the bus station in the morning as he didn't trust a taxi to pick us up on time. James got up at 5:30am to take us to the station and even gave us free bus tickets to get to the airport. What more could you possibly ask of a host . He was fantastic through the entire stay. I would have no problems staying here again and would certainly recommend this place to my friends and family.

The only reason I have not rated this 5 stars is late in the evening we had some one walk in to our room which was a bit awkward. I think it was another guest who was looking for some one. It would help to have doors that automatically lock when you close them. And my husband saw a lizard crawling on the wall behind the curtain in the main stairwell which he didn't tell me about as it would have freaked me out since I am so petrified of them.

However all in all none of the above points go against the lovely welcome and hospitality we received while staying at this beautiful home and I would not hesitate to stay here again. I would give this B&B a 4 and a half star!

1 Thank Queen_Of_Hearts25
Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

With only 36 hours in KL this was the way to go to get a more 'local' experience with shops and cafes only a 5 minute walk away. With the express and transit trains now leaving KLIA from the same place also makes the one stop trip to James' place more convenient. James is very helpful in every way and the pool was a pleasant surprise.
I would though recommend staying in the rooms upstairs. If in the downstairs bedroom you can be woken up by early leavers/late arrivals or guests talking late into the night.

Room Tip: book a room upstairs for quietness
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wad6x
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Rumah Putih is charming, comfortable and relaxing Bed and Breakfast close to Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and the LCCT (Low Cost Carrier Terminal). I've stayed here three times now and am staying again in August. The rooms in this B&B are beautiful, quite luxurious in fact, with comfortable beds fitted with crisp clean linens. The bathrooms are in excellent condition and I especially enjoy the huge and abundant supplies of shampoo and body soap, you feel so clean after weeks in the jungle of more remote parts of Malaysia after a shower here. The rooms are air conditioned, but I don't use it as I prefer not having it on (unless I'm in a rush to pack and want to avoid sweeting!). Instead the quiet but effective ceiling fans keep the rooms at a cool and pleasant temperature throughout the day and night. The rooms have a TV, but the reception is not that clear and the range of channels limited (no BBC World for example). There is an excellent range of preprogrammed movies however. The rooms at Rumah Putih are totally gorgeous and I have so appreciated them after spending time in corrugated iron huts that only have a mattress on the floor elsewhere in Malaysia (which have their own charm, but Rumah Putih is a welcome oasis of luxury after spending weeks after weeks in more rustic locations elsewhere in Malaysia)

Most of this beautiful, spacious and elegant home is open and available to guests through the day and into the evening. The lounge in particular it a totally delightful place to rest, relax and catch-up on emails (there's free wireless throughout the house and the signal is really good in the lounge). There is also a swimming pool with complementary poolside towels near the lounge. One of the best aspects of the swimming pool is that you can swim until late in the night, from memory until about 11pm (23hrs00) or 12 midnight! I have been increasingly frustrated at hotels (often 4 or 5 star) over the years that have a pool and then close it at 7 or 8pm! What is the point in having a pool in a warm tropical country if guests aren't allowed to swim under a palm-fringed balmy moonlit night! Lately I have been checking hotel swimming pool hours on the internet before booking and refuse to stay anywhere that closes their pool before 9pm. The good news is that you can swim late into the night at Rumah Putih. One evening I went for a swim in the rain (it was warm enough to do so) and this cute frog jumped up beside me on the ledge next to the pool and started croaking and singing! It was quite magical as lightening glimmered on the distant horizon and palm trees swayed in the gentle equatorial rain of a tropical night.

Another reason for staying at Rumah Putih is its location. Its proximity to Salak Tinggi station means that the B&B enjoys excellent access to KLIA airport, the LCCT (by bus), central Kuala Lumpur and the new cities of Putrajaya and Cyberjaya. It is far enough out of central KL to escape the worst of the smog and pollution that it sometimes suffers from, while being reasonably close to enjoy the city and surrounding region by day and night. KLIA is only 7 minutes away by high speed KLIA transit train and about 15 to 20 minutes by taxi. If you get a taxi to Rumah Putih the drivers often don't know where it is. James and Jo, the wonderful hosts at Rumah Putih, can send you a pdf map by email which you can print out and give to the taxi driver's when exiting the airport arrival terminal (make sure you get a taxi voucher before from the booth inside the terminal before you go to the taxi stand; the fare is about RM 35) . Even so the taxi driver's can still get lost once the get to Kota Warisan (the suburb where Rumah Putih is located), so make sure to ask them to turn right at the traffic lights next to the shops (not left, as they have with me three times now!).

The shops at Kota Warisan are well serviced with convenience stores, a 7-11, hairdressers, a bank with ATM, medical centres and doctors, laundries and numerous restaurants and eateries offering delicious meals. In the evenings barbequed chicken satays are available together with a host of other offerings. English is limited at some of the restaurants so if you don't speak Malay I recommend taking a Malay phrasebook to translate items on the menu (I'll be taking one next time), although the people in this area are very friendly and there will often be fellow diners at these restaurants who offer to translate.

The hosts and owners of Rumah Putih, James and Jo, are incredibly kind, welcoming and helpful when staying at their B&B and also have a wealth of information and knowledge about travelling around Malaysia that they are happy to share with guests. They will pick you up and drop you off at Salak Tinggi station (within reasonable hours) and book taxis if need be. In the morning they prepare a delicious breakfast comprising a main of eggs (prepared how you like them) or omelet accompanied by toast and spreads, cereals, juices, tea and coffee. I stay in a lot of these kinds of B&Bs around the world and I can say without a doubt that James and Jo's is one of the best in the world. I always try and have a stop over on long flights between Australia/New Zealand and Europe, and used to choose Singapore. As much as I like Singapore I have found it has become prohibitively expensive over the years especially in terms of the availability of good quality value for money accommodation. However, since I've found Rumah Putih I have switched my transit locale to KL. Rumah Putih is a reason for stopping over in KL. The only drawback is that once you arrive you won't want to leave! For that reason don't stay for a night, stay for two or three, that way you'll really reduce jet-lag ready to move onto your next destination refreshed, relaxed and prepared. It's also an ideal base from which to explore wonderful Malaysia, especially if venturing off to more remote parts of this fabulous country. Rumah Putih is well recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Horizon_The_Island
Queen Charlotte
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is what a B&B should be (and be)! We stayed for just one night because we were hubbing out of the LCCT at KL Airport. Rumah Putih is a huge cut above the airport hotels we've used before, at a far better price. Since the airport is a good hour from the city, a place this close and good in a quiet suburban location is a great option.

Ruma Putih is indeed a white house, at the edge of a very nice subdivision. You rent a large, comfortably-appointed room in the manor, with pleasant common areas, a small but nice pool, and a bit of a private outdoor patio. If you go around the back of the property, you look down across open land to a small, bustling village a five-minute walk away, where there are several cheap and good eating options.

We arrived just before a torrential and extended thunderstorm, and James was kind enough to take us in his car down to the village, show us the dining options, drop us off at his excellent choice (several open kitchens under one roof featuring a variety of food and drink at local low prices), and come back to pick us up an hour later. He also bargained an exceedingly-early ride to the Airport for us.

Over and above the nice facilities, it's the personal touch that makes Rumah Putih such a good option. James makes you feel like a visiting distant relation from out of town who he's glad to see, and who he owes a family obligation to. There's being a good manager, and then there's the higher level of making people feel at home and cared for, and at Rumah Putih, we felt cared for. If you don't need to go into the city on a short visit, this is an excellent choice to enjoy a relaxing place in a small Malay town.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I had a stop over before traveling on to Cambodia. The owner James and his wife were very accommodating and went out of there way to help us. This included a quick 15 minute chat with James on arrival telling us about the local restaurants, good places in KL to eat, shop and how to travel around the city. He also gave us a very good tip which was to purchase a one way ticket from KL to LCCT airport on our return from the city as this includes the bus ticket for the shuttle service from Salak Tinggi Station to LCCT terminal which we were then able to use on our return to the airport the next morning.

The fantastic service continued when James drove us to the local train station (Salak Tinggi) when we wanted to go to KL which was a real help. The train is a direct trip into KL (its the line from the airport). He offered to pick us up as well when we returned at 9:30pm; however my wife an I decided to walk which only took about 15 minutes (2km) and we felt very safe. The next morning James drove us back to Salak Tinggi at 5am for our bus trip to LCCT (using the ticket from the previous day).

The room was comfortable and this hotel is a great option if you want to stay close to the airport. Definitely recommend and thank you to James for the assistance you gave us.

1 Thank Chad K
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of April for two nights. We arrived late at night by taxi from the airport and were welcomed by James. Our room was a large and comfortable and the house is lovely and the pool a bonus. I would much rather stay here than in soulless hotel nearer to the airport. James and Jo were very helpful and James will run you to the station if you require. The day we left we were travelling to the University of Nottingham at Seminyeh, we were going to get a taxi but ended up getting the train instead which was straightforward just 2 stops on one line then 2 stops on another. When you arrive at Kajang you then need to get a taxi to the Uni. I mention this in case anyone is considering staying here and are visiting the Uni. We had a lovely breakfast both days and would definately stay at this homely and friendly B n B again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family