I booked a stay at Avani hoping to spend a few days recuperating from a busy working week with peace and quiet. Unfortunately, this is not what I got, and I really think management should think about warning solo travellers, and indeed anyone travelling without children, about the noise they will encounter over the weekend.
My first day was okay - reasonably relaxing by the pool (the pool is actually very nice, and the view is beautiful), but the food was average and overpriced for what you got. That night when I hoped to get some sleep, I instead was faced with pounding beats from a club on-shore, as well as continuous motorbike engines from the street. Note that this is because the bungalows are situated over water and the noise travels RIGHT to you. It is not Avani's fault, but they certainly should warn patrons. This continued until around 2am, and then at 5am, someone undertaking some kind of prayer ritual (involving a lot of loud warbling) began, with no move by staff to quiet them down. Then at 7am the children started yelling, and the hotel buggies started going past the rooml. So really, no chance to either get a good night's sleep OR a sleep in!
I asked management the next day to move me, but all rooms for solo travellers are located on the main thoroughfare, so no chance to go to a quiet part of the resort. So I dealt with another sleepless night on the Saturday. Note that the room they moved me to had dirty sheets and dust everywhere (clearly the room had been made up days or weeks before with no once-over before a guest entered the room).
TV didn't work in both rooms I stayed in, and I had to ask management 3 times over the phone to come and help out and was told I'd have to wait over half an hour - half an hour passed so i walked all the way down to reception (note rooms at this resort are sometimes quite far from the main reception area) where at least 6 staff were just hanging around doing nothing - angry by that stage I demanded someone come right away to my room to fix the problem, and they appeased me, and gave me a bottle of wine for my trouble - which was nice, but too little too late. This seems like a small complaint I know but this is a 5 star resort and PRICEY so I expect way better than that. I stay in more than 30 hotels and resorts each year so know what I'm comparing this to.
The positives though are nice enough rooms, comfortable beds, nice views and the spa is very good (although overpriced).
Sadly, I won't stay here again - I recommend staying at a 5 star hotel in KL instead. Way better value for money.
This resort is for parents and children, NOT for couples or solo travellers. And is not 5 star by any means - definitely more like 3 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort stretches out from the Sepang coastline, almost a kilometer into the sheltered waters of the Straits of Malacca with 392 luxuriously appointed over water villas that shape a palm tree. This new upscale resort offers guests a wide range of sports and entertainment activities as well as great food & beverage outlet selection. Located in the district of Sepang, in the southern part of the state of Selangor, AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort is a short 35 minute drive from Kuala Lumpur International Airport. The resort is also conveniently located close to the Sepang International Circuit - home to the Malaysian leg of the F1 race. Inspired by Polynesian and Maldivian architecture, blended with contemporary Malaysian interior design, each over water villa showcases a range of features that will ensure you take full advantage of the relaxed comfort, knowing we have the details covered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort And Spa
- Golden Palm Tree Iconic Hotel Sepang