“If you want relaxation and quiet, this is NOT the place for you”

AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Sepang
“If you want relaxation and quiet, this is NOT the place for you”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I booked a stay at Avani hoping to spend a few days recuperating from a busy working week with peace and quiet. Unfortunately, this is not what I got, and I really think management should think about warning solo travellers, and indeed anyone travelling without children, about the noise they will encounter over the weekend.

My first day was okay - reasonably relaxing by the pool (the pool is actually very nice, and the view is beautiful), but the food was average and overpriced for what you got. That night when I hoped to get some sleep, I instead was faced with pounding beats from a club on-shore, as well as continuous motorbike engines from the street. Note that this is because the bungalows are situated over water and the noise travels RIGHT to you. It is not Avani's fault, but they certainly should warn patrons. This continued until around 2am, and then at 5am, someone undertaking some kind of prayer ritual (involving a lot of loud warbling) began, with no move by staff to quiet them down. Then at 7am the children started yelling, and the hotel buggies started going past the rooml. So really, no chance to either get a good night's sleep OR a sleep in!

I asked management the next day to move me, but all rooms for solo travellers are located on the main thoroughfare, so no chance to go to a quiet part of the resort. So I dealt with another sleepless night on the Saturday. Note that the room they moved me to had dirty sheets and dust everywhere (clearly the room had been made up days or weeks before with no once-over before a guest entered the room).

TV didn't work in both rooms I stayed in, and I had to ask management 3 times over the phone to come and help out and was told I'd have to wait over half an hour - half an hour passed so i walked all the way down to reception (note rooms at this resort are sometimes quite far from the main reception area) where at least 6 staff were just hanging around doing nothing - angry by that stage I demanded someone come right away to my room to fix the problem, and they appeased me, and gave me a bottle of wine for my trouble - which was nice, but too little too late. This seems like a small complaint I know but this is a 5 star resort and PRICEY so I expect way better than that. I stay in more than 30 hotels and resorts each year so know what I'm comparing this to.

The positives though are nice enough rooms, comfortable beds, nice views and the spa is very good (although overpriced).

Sadly, I won't stay here again - I recommend staying at a 5 star hotel in KL instead. Way better value for money.

This resort is for parents and children, NOT for couples or solo travellers. And is not 5 star by any means - definitely more like 3 star.

Room Tip: Ask for as far from the shore and main thoroughfare as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Liztiz1
ErwinV, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2014
Dear Liztiz 1,

Having recently arrived here at the property, I have reviewed past feedbacks from guests and was sadened to see your feedback.
Rest assured that your comments have been noted and will form part of my follow ups to ensure product and service will continuously improve at this resort.

Thank you for having taken the time to provide your thoughts / opinions.

Erwin van der Veen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Myself and 4 friends stayed here for two nights in March in one standard villa and one family villa, there was no offer of an upgrade to a larger villa we could all stay in even though the resort was almost empty. The design of the resort itself is fantastic and is what drew us to stay here originally. The rooms are nice, they are well cleaned and looked after and there are free bikes that can be picked up and dropped off all over the resort. There are two pools as well as activities on the beach, but we didn’t get to enjoy any of the water sports as the tide went out at around 11 and didn’t come back in until it was dark! Unfortunately they are the only positive comments I can make about the Avani Sepang, everything else about the resort is bad;
1) Location – it is virtually in the middle of nowhere, there’s not even a shop nearby and nothing to do in the area, luckily due to how short our stay was this wasn’t a problem. We were however continually harassed by a tour guide trying to sell us a trip to see mangroves and monkeys from the second we arrived despite telling him we were only there for a limited time and were not interested.
2) Food – We ate in the Chinese restaurant on the first night which I can honestly say is some of the worst food I have ever eaten – fresh out of the microwave and extremely expensive! There was no atmosphere in the restaurant and the staff seemed intent on clearing the table before we’d finished. The cutlery was dirty as were the tables in the main buffet restaurant.
3) Cost – Food, drinks and taxis. Conveniently, all of the cheapest beers were unavailable for the duration of our stay here, no explanation so I can only assume this was to make more money from the guests. The food was extortionately priced and bad. The staff also refused to order taxis for us to get back to the airport – they insisted we used the hotel cars which cost double the price. I also found that the staff often pretended not to understand what you were asking for so they could only give you the most expensive option.
4) Staff – There were so many staff but they seemed to do very little, especially in the restaurant. We had to wait a long time to be served as staff appeared to be chatting and messing around with each other in groups rather than serving guests. However, the reception staff were pleasant and helpful.
Overall we had an average stay here, I’m really pleased we weren’t staying for any longer than two nights. The resort has the potential to be a very luxurious place, and if this were the case I’d be happy with the high cost, but the current prices do not match the facilities on offer, staff service or food. Definitely does not deserve 5* yet!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Sophie W
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We apologise for inconvenience caused and will take note on your comments. The tides are generally unpredictable though the mornings are normally the best time for water sport activities. As the resort is continuosly upgrading, we hope to provide better facilities and quality service to our guests. Phase II will see a new pool and Kid's & Teen's Club by which we will also be overseeing an improved resort. We look forward to your next visit.

Singapore
Reviewed March 25, 2014

wee bit later but just remembered. booked 3 villas that is facing out to the sea so it does take some time to get to each villa (hotel is good to ensure that we get villa to next to each other). the villa is clean, beautiful, very relaxing, definitely resort feeling. we spend hours and hours at the swimming pool which is sooo fun! we had our own transport so we went out to the nearest town to look for supermarket and dinner but its a good 15-20 mins to the town as the villa is a bit towards the sea. we didn't choose to eat dinner at the hotel because it cost RM99 per person and there are 12 of us and I am footing the bill for my young daughter's bday.

Since the villa is far from the reception, we had to tell the reception at least 1 hour in advance when we need buggies to pick all of us.

Overall is great fun, good family get together and lots of photo memories.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KindCompassion
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and had time to relax by the pool. We will be in our second phase of renovation and building a new pool at Smiley beach with a Teen's and Kid's Club. We acknowledge your views on food budgets and would like to share our other option of ala' carte dishes available at Sepoi Sepoi and other F&B outlets. We look forward to your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 25, 2014

room was awesome, love everything in resort!
thou there was a miscommunication of limosusine arrangement, we were given a comp upgrade to Camry suite. love the room, love the bed, love the view. just spend your day there and sit back and enjoy. free bicycles available for you to go around the resort!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcomMgr-GPT, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and as a newly re-branded property, continously improving our services in all aspects and departments to better serve our guests. We look forward to your next visit

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I managed to only stay here because we had some free hotel vouchers. Other than that, the price alone would have put us off for a long, long time.

Overall, I would say the place is decent, although the room we got seems to be in need of some minor repairs, such as the blinds. We also felt that the room wasn't completely clean as there were dust gathered in some corners of the room. Bathroom in the lobby area wasn't that clean as well, which speaks volumes I suppose.

Also, I don't feel like I get a sense of privacy when I stayed there, although the place made it seem like a private villa.

To be fair, they were going through some major renovations at that time, so my hope is that it will be much better after all the refurbishments, although, I would still not pay that much money for rooms such as these. And there's no breakfast even with that kinda of pricing!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dericjtan
ErwinV, General Manager at AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Dear dericjtan,

Though I have recently arrived at the hotel, I have taken the liberty to review past feedbacks to find areas of opportunity for this property, and I would like to thank you for your feedback, which will help me in achieving this.

Indeed, at the time of your review still many works were ongoing, which have since been completed, therefore I hope that during a potential future visit you would find an improved level of product and service. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you wish to do so, my team and I will be delighted to be of further assistance.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The staff from the Kids Club was just fantastic!! Fizah thank you very much for ensuring that our little one was always entertained and well looked after. Much appreciated and your sincerity and genuine love for kids is amazing! We adore you keep up the great work Fizah.

The staff from Perahu was also very obliging, patient well done guys!

Overall we were very satisfied with the great service from Fizah (and the Kids Club staff) and the staff from Perahu.

If there was anything that they could improve is the room service, they always take too long which we do understand to a certain extent due to insufficient buggies. Kinda lame but yeah it happens when hotel is full and buggies are limited.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and had a wonderful time at our Kid's Club and a warm experience at Perahu. We will share your positive comments with our service staff and look forward to your next visit. AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort will be in its second phase soon which will include a pool by Smiley beach and a New Teen's and Kid's Club. We hope to see soon.

Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

When we checked in on the first day, our Wifi was down, we weren't able to use our hotel phones to contact the reception regarding the issue because even the phone line was down! And also, the tv channels cannot be surfed due to some technical error! What kind of monstrosity is this, coming from a 5-star hotel/resort? It was so disappointing. And the next day, we booked a bus to bring us down to KL, and on our way back to Avani, the bus aircon broke down and most of us passengers nearly suffocated! Shouldn't you check the condition of your bus before bringing it out for passenger service? And no thanks to the bus driver who took no initiative to stop the bus and check the health condition or well-being of the passengers. Preposterous service. Not too sure whether I'll be making a comeback or not.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank LylaFadhilah
Dear LylaFadhilah,

Thank you for having taken the time to provide your thoughts / opinions.

Erwin van der Veen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sepang
Grand Lexis Port Dickson
Seri Malaysia Bagan Lalang Sepang
Tune Hotel KLIA 2
Tune Hotel KLIA 2
#4 of 14 in Sepang

Been to AVANI Sepang Goldcoast Resort? Share your experiences!