“Disappointed. Sub-par service and housekeeping.”

Royale Chulan The Curve
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
Singapore
“Disappointed. Sub-par service and housekeeping.”
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We had stayed at RBTC three years before and had a good experience earlier. The location with shops and restaurants, is no doubt the best attraction of the hotel.

We rang the hotel as it was 9pm to let them know that we are still coming and will be checking in late. To my dismay, when we checked in and my kids were already in the bath, I could not find a single towel in the room. We had also requested for an extra bed but the bed was only wheeled into the room after we went down to the reception to sign on the invoice. Toilet drain had hair from the previous guest.

Breakfast was not bad but the lobby could do with better odor control. The toilet at the lobby had a bad smell and the floor was wet when we visited it.

To be fair, another family stayed at the same hotel with us and was contented with their family suite. I am not sure what the housekeeping procedures are like but there is definitely some lapse. The hotel is in need of some upgrading, not sure why they bother to build a nicer, grander one next door that makes this one look even worse with its current state.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
royalebintang, Public Relations Manager at Royale Chulan The Curve, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Bluelizabelle,

Thank you for sparing your time in bringing this matter to our attention and we sincerely hope that you will have no further cause for any complaint in our service and hope you are satisfied with the corrective action taken by us.

Your comments will help us serve you and all our guest better in the future.

We apologise for the annoyance/inconvenience that this may have caused to you. The hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here 16-17 November in the Family Suite. Room was spacious for our family of 2 adults, 3 kids (6 & 3 year olds + infant). I'd say the only reason to stay here is location; it only makes sense if you plan on spending time at the connected malls - The Curve, Ikea, Kidzania etc. Traffic around the area during rush hour is bad. It won't matter if you're only spending time at the connected malls, but you need to plan properly if you want to go to the city center etc.

Parking was not free for hotel guest. We paid RM5 for overnight parking. RM5 is not much, but it would have been a great gesture had they provided free/reimbursed parking.

Service was acceptable. Our requests were attended to - e.g. non-smoking room, baby cot. The safety lock at room's door was broken & missing though.

Breakfast was okay, though ventilation could've been better because strong oil odor from the kitchen made it's way to the dining area.

If you are willing to walk about 200m, the newer Royale Bintang Damansara is better - newer rooms, free parking. It's still close enough to the action at the Curve, but you have the peace and quiet once you retire to your room. Royale Bintang the Curve on the other hand is an older hotel, but it puts you right in the middle of where the action is.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank azr-h
royalebintang, Public Relations Manager at Royale Chulan The Curve, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Azr-h

Do come back soon. Thanks
Malaysia
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located within one of the prime shipping arcades in Petaling Jaya - The Curve. Perfect for a traveller looking for convenience! Plenty of eateries and watering holes within less than a minutes walk away.

The room is comfortable, clean & plush. The only issue is parking as it is shared with the shopping centre so you may experience some difficulty looking for a parking on the weekends.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
royalebintang, Public Relations Manager at Royale Chulan The Curve, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear D_Jekyll

Thanks for staying with us.

We are very happy to serve you. Do come back soon!

UK
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The attentiveness of the front desk staff and the quality of breakfast (on some days) along with the space and facilities in the room were very good. Inability to provide (even at cost) emergency supplies (I forgor my shaving razor) and sloppyness of room servicing was not so good. I had glasses and cups left unwashed in my room and worse, I had the mini-bar door left slightly open by the staff checking it, meaning all my drinks were warm! Breakfast on my first morning was great - good selection and hot buffet food. The next morning had undercooked meats, cold tea and poor selection. Local malls are good but nothing spectacular. You'd be better staying in central KL.

Room Tip: Avoid the front if you want to work in peace during the day - it's VERY noisy above the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Msmytravel,

Royale Bintang The Curve hotel takes pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations.

We will improve on our service to provide your needs and we hope we can serve you better in future.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great Hotel for the perfect Value versus Luxury. Everything is there, yet everything is just that little bit imperfect, but for the price, you can only place it as the perfect combination. Of course its sister hotel which is the newer Royale Bintang, Damansara is just 200 meters away, my opinion is that Royale Bintang, The Curve is a much better choice from Location to Location to Location. Just a lift down and you exit from the back onto the "Walk" a premium bazaar (only during the weekends) and if you exit from the front, you will find Ikano right in front of you. Shopping Bliss, front or back exits. And food ... WOW, Johnny Rockets which is just some steps away from the back exit is packed from morning to night. If you fancy a little drink, "the Laundry" or "Maroons" are family themed pub restaurants. Whether you stomach feels like an Asian or Thai, American to Italian there is something for anyone and everyone. Shopping is no better nor worse than the best or worse of mega malls. You either love them or loathe them. But the difference is the premium bazaar which gives a taste of local flavour with very intrinsic products which you would not normally find at reasonable pricing.
Only negative side of things may be the reception area being a little dim and possibly rundown. A splash of new paint may be all it needs.

Room Tip: For families of 4-5, just go for the Suite. Forget getting two std rooms. Much worth the money.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear GaryChin68,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay for your last trip.

Its’ been a pleasure having to serve you.

Do come back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My colleague suggested that I stay at RBTC during my most recent business trip given its proximity to our office in Malaysia. When she learned about my traumatic stay, she was almost apologetic. But it wasn’t her fault because she had never stayed in RBTC herself before.
The location is the only good thing about the hotel, being just 5-minutes walk to my office and there are ample restaurants and cafes around the area.

My check-in experience was actually quite smooth. I arrived around noon and wasn’t expecting to have my room ready until 2pm. I was told all the non-smoking rooms were taken, but they have a room for me on the executive floor, if that was alright with me. I had a meeting to rush to, so I thought it shouldn’t be that bad right. So I said yes to it.

When the lift door opened, the stench of tobacco filled the air. The aisle looked empty, almost sinister. I immediately felt uncomfortable. I dropped off my baggage and left for my office only to return later that evening. It was a long day and I was tired. I went to take a shower. As I was trying to turn the knob of the tap to adjust the water temperature, the knob came off! I couldn’t fix it back, so I had to shower with really hot water, in order to rinse off my shampoo!

Then I came out of the shower and was trying to search for a pair of bathroom slippers, I opened the drawers of the closet, found no slippers but three wrappers of sanitary pads littered inside the drawer!! It was downright disgusting!!

After my bad experience in the shower, my ‘findings’ in the closet, this dilapidated room with wall paper that curled up at the edges, the smelly smoking floor that I had to put up with, I was so affected that I had a sleepless night, despite being super exhausted.

Of all my business trips, I have never felt so terrible. I just couldn’t wait to check-out and of course, I would never ever return to this hotel, I swear.

Room Tip: Always insist to have non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Cheong C
Dear Myokiki,

We apologize for your bad experience during your business trip with Royale Bintang The Curve.

We are taking immediate action to correct the position and also to ensure that such a lapse does not occur again.

Travelers are raving about these Petaling Jaya hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Tip... There are two Royale Bintangs within half a km of each other and of course the taxi took me to wrong one despite me giving him right address so make sure you don't let them go before you are sure at the right place.

Anyway the main highlight of this place is that it's in the middle of large shopping precinct with lots of bars, shops and restaurants around, so the walk to the other one wasn't so bad, but then I had no bags, was on a short trip.

Lobby was very hot and stifling which I learned over next two days seem to come and go. I suspect the air con system got overwhelmed at times.

Room was opposite, the AC worked like a charm, but the thermostat seemed on blink, no matter where you set it, it blasted out cold air.

Free internet throughout hotel, but was hit and miss and very slow most of time. Breakfast pretty decent.

Comfortable room that was better than I was expecting on way to room.

For 100 USD a night probably OK value for money

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
royalebintang, Public Relations Manager at Royale Chulan The Curve, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Mark R

On behalf of Royale Bintang Curve hotel we apologize on internet and air condition. It was not working well on that particular day.

We hope you can give us second chance to serve you better.

Do come back soon.