“Romantic Retreat”

The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The old adage "You get what you pay for" really applies here. Very well set out Villas, with a secluded balcony, excellent room, private pool, and your very own Breakfast and dinner restaurant.
Don't forget the Cocktails between 5.30 and 7.30pm.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don B
There are newer reviews for The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa

Reviewed April 3, 2011

My wife and I spent the first 2 nights of our trip to Malaysia in these villas. It is such an amazing place. Truly wonderful. I will try to summarize in points the highlights and advice:
- Amazing private pool
- Wonderful and huge bathtub / jacuzzi in bathroom
- The private pool and the huge bathtub with the exquisite bath menu available were the highlight of our stay
- Lovely rain shower in bathroom
- Plan properly, and MAKE SURE you take your preferred insect repellant with you when you travel to Malaysia (don't make the same mistake we did) or you will suffer infinite mosquito and insect bites
- 2 to 3 night stay for leisure travelers is just right, as it gives you just enough time to enjoy yourself and endulge in the villa luxuries / amenities, as well as explore / have fun in the sunway theme park / lagoon next door (all part of one huge development)
- Unfortunately, mosquitos limited our time and enjoyment outdoors, even around the villa's pool
- Try to AVOID staying on weekends or national holidays, because there is most probably a party in the adjacent sunway amusement park and the extremely unbearable loud sound of music and karaoke will SURELY interrupt your peace and quiet even at night time as these villas are not soundproofed and are right next to the park
- Absolutely amazing villas, very romantic
- Perfect for honeymooners
- Burgers from the in-room dinning menu are absolutely delicious!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank palestinianeyes
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I noticed that it has been a while since I last post a review and it has also been while that this hotel received a review. I suppose partly because they have been mostly patronised by the Middle Eastern tourist from what I have been made to understand.

I have just came back from a night stay at the Villa as a surprise to my wife for our 16th wedding anniversary. For the local, this place is definitely not your typical weekend getaway that you can do often considering the price range but it is well worth the money spent if you have such special occasion.

It was an off peak period when we were there so the resort is practically empty and so the hotel wouldnt mind offering us some flexibility like early check and late check out, getting the best room possible etc.

We were allowed early check in at 2pm (I was told the check in time is 4pm for this hotel). Check in at the Pavillion was a breeze and soon after we were "driven" to our room. Everything about the room is spacious and luxurious but you would expect all this for the price. It looks a bit dated but acceptable. To upkeep this " alway new" as some guests would expect is not an easy task but I must say that efforts are there to maintain the villa in a pristine condition. I even saw during my walk upon check out that they were doing some repair or maintenance work to one of the unit.

Upon entry of your villa, you will first see the outside dining area and the pool and there will be another door to enter your room. I particularly like this since it gives you total privacy and control to your villa. We had a cande lit three course dinner in our villa that nite and the layout of the room still offer us the privacy in our room whilst they are busy preparing the set up for the dinner by our private pool.

There are plenty of amenities and extras in the room. They even provide a Nakamichi CD player and a DVD player so you can bring your own disc to watch a movie or two. However, the TV picture quality is not so good despite being equipped with a flatscreen TV unit.

The pool area offers us the privacy that we wanted but looking at the other villas, I dont think some offers the same level of privacy. Maybe the hotel should consider planting more plants and trees in front of the pool for some of the rooms. So make sure you get the best room if you can. Mine was room number 116 by the way.

Food was excellent. From the cocktail at the Pavillion, the private candle lit 3 course dinner in our villa and breakfast too.

I would like to make special mention to Mr Azmil from the resort who has gone the extra mile to ensure that I have a memorable celebration with my wife. From securing me the best room possible, arranging a complimentary cake for my wife etc.

It is this kind of people that makes a difference to upkeep the high standard for this type of resort / hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zmyusof
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights during our honeymoon.

We stayed at the Villas at Sunway Lagoon resort.

Amazing...outstanding...fabuolous... would also be not enough

The Villas are huge...with your own plunge pool. You have a butler assigned to you. Even for breakfast and evening supper, the chef will ask what you want to have and they'll prepare accordingly.

They pamper you so much and treat you like a king.

If you're on a honeymoon..this is the place to be

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelbuddy33
RekhaDutt, Public Relations Manager at The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2010

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your compliments. We are glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon at The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

On behalf of the hotel, congratulations on your marriage and we wish you a lifetime of wedded bliss.

Yours sincerely,
Rekha Dutt
Director of Marketing Communications

Reviewed November 15, 2009

Hoped we could stay more than 2 nights at The Villas, it’s so romantic and relaxing to be there, and if you want to have fun its only minutes away. They have every thing you can think of in the villa relaxing music , bath menu, coffee, tea, mini bar... , condoms!! and at the evening they set the candles for you out side your villa and pool area.
The service is great and the staff is so friendly & nice. but In room dinning menu had limited choices. Enjoye the Spa it only 2 minutes walking from the villas and its GOoOD.
Believe me it's an amazing place and you will have your privacy, its paradise.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashmon
RekhaDutt, Director of Marketing Communications at The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2009

Dear Madam

Many thanks for your review of The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa. It is nice to note that the both of you had a pleasant and romantic holiday.

We are glad that you also took the opportunity to try our Mandara Spa facility and enjoyed it very much.

Furthermore, your views on our in-room dining menu is truly appreciated. Afterall, candid feedback is a means for us to keep striving for the next level.

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely

Rekha Dutt
Director of Marketing Communications

Reviewed April 20, 2009

I stayed 3 days in this hotel with my wife as part of our honeymoon.. this place is amazing the villa's are jungle paradises, while keeping you close to civilization.. sunway theme park next door is amazing and there's a great mall next to the villa's as well.. the staff are very helpful management is always there and you are always right : ) it might be a tad expensive but so worth it.. all the details are there.. relaxing music.. LCD.. bath menu.. pillow menu.. private breakfast in your own garden.. my only problem was that some of the villa's aren't 100% private so just make sure before settling down that no other room can see your pool/garden.. highly recommended.. can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DukeKajaK
Reviewed December 25, 2008

I found that this resort was not deserving of the good prior reviews it managed to obtain.

The prior good reviews are misleading. I am writing this review as a cautionary tale to warn unsuspecting guests.

Enticed by the good reviews of 2007, I proceeded to book the resort recently and like the previous reviewer, I had arranged for lunch to be served and was told by the staff at the Pavilion that it would take 45 minutes to deliver the lunch. The agreed timing was acceptable but it became unreasonable when they took 1 1/2 hours instead!

As much as they tried to romanticize the Villas with candles, the staff seem to have forgotten that candle holders are potential breeding grounds for mosquitoes. While I was taking a dip in the plunge pool, i found out to my horror that the candle holders had what looks to me like, larvae in them! It appears that the staff did not make a special effort to ensure that the candle holders were cleared every day. For a 5-star establishment, I was also surprised to find out that they did not provide maid service on a daily basis.

I arrived 15 minutes before the end of the breakfast period to have the manager of the Pavilion inform me that they had cleared most of the food and limited breakfast items would be available to me as a result. By that time, I was not surprised by his remark as their service had been below par most of the time during my stay.

Finally, the amenities for RM 1,288 per night resort is severely below par. Four simple points to illustrate this:

(i) When you arrive and turn on the LCD TV, you will notice that it has a poor reception. When queried, the staff told us that the poor reception was inherent and nothing could be done.

(ii) Be prepared not to have peace and quiet at this resort as you can clearly hear the non-stop blaring of the music from the Sunway Lagoon Theme Park which would indicate poor soundproofing standards inherent in the Villas.

(iii) To say that the air-conditioning system is interesting is perhaps too kind. The controls of the air-conditioning system were different from one part of the Villa to the next. It was counter-intuitive to use and required extensive staff intervention before we could operate the controls properly.

(iv) As it has been illustrated in my earlier paragraphs, the service standards change on a day-to-day basis. In response to our complaints, they changed their room service timing from what was previously set at 45 minutes to 30 minutes. So it pays to complain to get better service here.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Sunway Clio Hotel
Sunway Clio Hotel
#1 of 48 in Petaling Jaya
Resort Suites Hotel at Bandar Sunway
Resort Suites Hotel at Bandar Su...
#33 of 48 in Petaling Jaya
Villa Samadhi
Villa Samadhi
#1 of 346 in Kuala Lumpur
Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel
Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel
#2 of 48 in Petaling Jaya

Been to The Villas at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!