“Pleasant stay in the heart of PJ!”

Shah's Village Hotel
Shah's Village Hotel
Ranked #41 of 45 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
Malmo, Sweden
“Pleasant stay in the heart of PJ!”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Nice hotel, friendly staff, clean rooms, excellent location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank DrTraveller83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
Brisbane
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Location was OK. 2 min walk to an A&W fast food restaurant, 5 min walk to a train station (if you don't mind climbing stairs), and 10 min walk to a small (by KL standards) shopping centre.

There's a pool in the centre of the building with some nice outdoor decor, though a little bit tacky. The first night we stayed we were in two adjoining rooms (with a connecting internal door). Bathrooms were functional, but some mould was growing in the ceiling of one of the bathrooms and the floor was wet due to the hose (next to the toilet) leaking. Beds were neat and comfortable but our sleep was interrupted; we could hear dance music with heavy bass playing through the night from some nearby club. This was a ground-level pair of rooms, and there were cars and scooters parked right outside our window, within a metre of the glass. If that doesn't bother you then OK, but we kept the curtains shut. We changed rooms after the first night. Second pair of rooms was upstairs and though they didn't have the shared internal door, they were of a higher standard than the previous rooms. No mould, and it was quiet during the night (though maybe that's because the club wasn't playing any music that night?).

Staff were pleasant. Accomodated our requests to change rooms without hassle and were very nice people.

There's apparently WiFi internet access throughout the building, though at the time we didn't have any gadgets to test it. We did not trust the lone computer near reception, however, as the out-of-date antivirus installed had already detected multiple viruses on the system. Oh, and there were drops of water slowly dripping from the ceiling to within a few centimetres of the power cables...

Overall, the place needs a bit of work. It's like they're beginning to let it slide into disrepair, though it's not quite bad enough to put us off completely. Will recommend it as the staff were so nice but next time we'll ask for second (or third) floor rooms from the get go.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Anonymous065
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2010

The Shah Village Hotel is without a doubt the worst hotel I have ever been unfortunate enough to stay in. I booked the hotel in advance via their website and paid a holding deposit. When I arrived at the hotel the reception staff had no record of my booking and tried to charge me a different rate to the one secured under my booking. Fortunately I had printed off my confirmation to take with me. After resolving this issue, I tried to pay by credit card, but the receptionist, Priscilla, told me that my card had been declined, so I tried it for a second time. Again, I was told the card had been declined. In the end we were told we would have to pay cash for the room, which we begrudgingly did. When we went up to our room it was filthy. The room had not been cleaned since the last guests had stayed; the bed was dirty and unmade, the teacups still had tea in them and the shower had hair in it. They gave us a new room which was clean enough, but still not ideal. Halfway through the night the fridge started making an incredibly loud buzzing sound, we had to complain to reception at half past 4 in the morning. We stayed the remaining 2 nights and checked out. A couple of days later I checked my credit card bill - I had been charged twice on my card as well as the cash we paid. It was impossible to get any sense out of the reception staff. We finally got hold of the hotel accountant who told us that they did not have the ability to refund credit cards, and that he would have to give me a local cheque. As a UK resident I obviously do not have a local account.. In the end we agreed the hotel would withdraw cash and give to one of our family members who fortunately lives in KL. As an international visitor this is completely unacceptable practice. I would never recommend this hotel to anybody. Cleanliness, value for money, and most of all, service, were all well below what I would expect of the most budget of hotels. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CeriG

Travelers are raving about these Petaling Jaya hotels

Louisiana, USA
Reviewed May 31, 2009

This was our second stay at this hotel. It has a great location and is a great value for the money. Since my last stay they have made improvements and currently appear to be repainting everywhere. Looks as it they are becoming more trendy. I would recommend that you call the hotel directly to make reservations and verify your request. They use an old school reservation book for all rooms, no fancy computers (the bill has always been correct). Also, request breakfast w/ rate. Free wi-fi and parking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JeffyLA
Singapore
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My friends and I stayed in the Shah Village Hotel in Jun 08 and was doubled charged via credit card payment by the receptionist upon checking in and on the upon checking out. When challenged, the staff claimed that the charge during checking in serves as a deposit and they would cancel the claim. However when I received my credit card bills later, they never reimbursed this deposit. I have called the hotel and brought up this matter to their staff. Till date, I have yet to receive the deposit. The staff are not helpful in helping to resolve the matter at all. It's a place to cheat tourists from other countries of their money. Do not go!!!!!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The staff service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank edward79
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Shah's Village Hotel is conveniently located near Petaling Jaya's shopping and business district, making it ideal for family and business trips. One of its main attractions is its outdoor swimming pool, where you can lounge under the sun without having to compete with a huge crowd. There is also a remarkable collection of antique displays in the reception area.

The hotel features wireless Internet and parking spaces depending on availability. Room rates are reasonable with young children free on accommodation fees.

Shah's Village also comes with a restaurant and bar and is within walking distance of the Sunway Lagoon Theme Park. It is a practical choice if you wish to stay in Petaling Jaya for about a week or so.

• Liked — Great services, courteous staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank KittyFabulous
New Zealand
Reviewed July 29, 2007

A stayed here a few eeks back and enjoyed my stay. A peacefull setup with a wonderful pool and garden area. The rooms and there decor are basic, and not 100% clean but they are nice. Air con/tv and fridge provided. You get a free breakfast which you can devour by the pool. Value for money. Friendly staff.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple