“one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in”

Shah's Village Hotel
Shah's Village Hotel
Ranked #40 of 45 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
London, United Kingdom
“one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

i was booked into this hotel for 2 months as I am doing a project working in Malaysia. My first impression was that my room was grubby, the net curtains were dirty and stained with blood from squashed bugs.
I complained to staff in reception about this twice and got no response, my final straw was on the 3rd evening when I returned and found a cockroach on my wall! To add insult to injury I was wakened by load rock music from the bar next door that went on until 3 a.m.
was moved to another room for the night but the staff had left the windows open and it was full of mosquitoes!
I was moved from this hotel the following day.
The staff in the restaurant were pleasant enough but front desk were appalling and housekeeping no existent.
this place i a disgrace and I would never recommend anyone to stay here, shame because it is actually a lovely building and could be beautiful

Room Tip: do not stay in this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lyndabobo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
Balik Pulau, Malaysia
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel is old, tired and unwelcoming.
I stayed simply for the location and reckon I should just have booked a hotel a few minutes further away, at a cheaper rate, and enjoyed better service and hotel condition.
I find it inexcusable that I was not greeted - not just with a smile but no greeting at all! - at check-in. No one stepped forward to help me with bags or the door (the front is an automatic door but the back one to the poolside is not) either.
My room was large and relatively clean but the fixtures and fittings were old. The bathtub was chipped, the taps in the sink were a little loose and needed some effort to turn on or off. Lighting was working but dim, furniture was old and creaky and the mattress was especially soft and bouncy and did not give a good night's sleep. The kettle had an inch of brown water in it when I checked - obviously the cleaner hadn't.
I had 4 bags and the lack of a lift meant I struggled with my things to get down from the third floor. Despite being passed by one or two staff, no one offered to help.
The last straw was going to the front desk to check out and was attended to by the sole staff who remained on the phone before I tired of not being acknowledged and deposited the key on the counter and brought my bags to the car. I returned a minute later and she glanced at some display then turned to me and just uttered 'OK.'.
Well, Shah's, it certainly wasn't OK. I'm never coming back to this dump.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. If you really want to stay here, choose a lower floor and away from the nightc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaydcoke

Travelers are raving about these Petaling Jaya hotels

Kuantan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The location is the main priority when i chose this hotel during my last visit to Petaling Jaya. They offered good price through online booking. Parking was not a problem at all. The exterior of the hotel just okey for me. But i got some problems with the room. First it noisy. The next building must be karaoke center, singing all the way till late midnight. I can't sleep. I,m very frustrated with apalling state of the washroom. Next morning i hope the breakfast will give me some nice note during my stay here but after the first bite, i hope was quashed. i end up with two slice bread with jam, sip a coffee then took my beg and check out.

Room Tip: avoid the room next to karaoke building
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel is very old and creepy. Beds are squeaky and dirty. Mirrors are stained and aged. They dun even have proper bins in the bathroom.

Location of the hotel is pretty good but that does not compensate for the terrible condition of the hotel.

Wifi is chargeable locked to 1 device only. Overall, the stay left me disgusted and I would never want to come back here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MargaretMag
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Shah Hotel is near LRT and have easy access to PJ town. The hotel does have a colonial feeling. I like the lounge deco. it is not a modern kind of hotel and there is a small swimming pool int he middle which is only suitable for younger children..I book thro internet and was given a back room which is not really to my liking. Eating out is easy as there is a food stall outside. lots of food, nice and cheap.I will definitely come back to this hotel if I am in PJ. Breakfast is bad though! charging MY29 for additional person is outrageous! go outside to eat.

Room Tip: ask for room upstairs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vientiane
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Shah’s Village Hotel is an older property that has seen better days but it still is a very charming, comfortable and convenient place to stay.

The lobby is spacious and has a colonial feel to it. A wide staircase leads to the rooms and one can almost imagine descending those stairs, formally dressed, to a ball. The rooms are big and clean and come with a mini fridge and safe.

The restaurant serves excellent food and the breakfast buffet, which is included in the rate, is varied and substantial.

The pool area is surrounded by thick foliage with a rainforest quality to it.

The staff are helpful, yet unobtrusive.

Unlike many hotels that claim otherwise, the Wi-Fi here really works.

The hotel is less than a five-minute walk from the Taman Jaya LRT and so getting to the city centre is very easy. A little further away is the Amcorp Mall with a wide range of shopping choices. About a 15-minute walk is P. J. Baru, a restaurant which offers some of the best food in Kuala Lumpur and never seems to close. I’m not sure whether a 2.00 a.m. meal there is dinner or breakfast!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WowLao
zhengzhou
Reviewed February 21, 2013

To write this review I will respond using the points made in another travelers recent reviews. This is a locally owned hotel and very close to LRT.

1. Hotel has non functioning wifi. -- Yes, it does. The lobby has the best reception. In my room it was hit or miss, but most of the time I had no trouble logging into email and FB.

2. Hotel has lousy selection of food. The food is forced upon all patrons. -- How is food forced on people? There is a restaurant, but you can take a 3-minute walk to the mall for local restaurants, starbucks and subway. Breakfast is free and it is adequate: toast, eggs, potatoes, fruit and 100% juice, etc.

3. Ants infestation and cockroaches crawling in the room.-- Yes, there are a few small, non-biting ants. If you are any kind of traveler at all you know ants are always present in tropical locations. Not a big deal. No cockroaches. If you leave food out in a tropical climate, cockroaches of course will arrive. I always place my food garbage in the fridge.

4. Overpriced rates. -- My company paid for the room.

5. No bellboy. -- Not true. I arrived at 5 am and a bell boy carried my very heavy suitcase and I did not have to tip.

6. Swimming pool doesn't seem to be in functioning condition. -- Not true. The swimming pool is the best part of the hotel and is large and beautiful.

7. No visible dustbin in the hotel. -- Not true. The dustbin is in your room and the size of a large ice bucket. The maid empties it every day.

9. Dirty rooms, hotel attendant didn't clear up the room properly when we came in. -- Not true. The room was plenty clean. The walls do have some dirt.

10. There are bedbugs! -- Not true. The building is antiquated, but the sofa, mattress and pillows were new. No bedbugs.

11. The staffs were extremely rude & impolite. -- Not true. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

12. The carpet is old. -- Yes, but the floor of the rooms is wood and not carpet.

13. No hot water. -- Not true. I had plenty of hot water.

*Rooms have a balcony and are spacious. This is not a romantic getaway place, just a place to spend the night or relax by the pool.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 208.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business