“Very Good”

Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
West Milford, New Jersey
“Very Good”
Reviewed December 11, 2010

On all my previous trips to KL, I’ve always stayed in another hotel located in the “Golden Triangle” area; in the middle of all the action. This is my first time at Sunway and although first reluctantly, I must say that I’ve enjoyed it.
Many amenities here; the hotel adjoins to a mall so it’s quite convenient during rainy season; don't have to get wet while going out to dinner. There are numerous restaurants just a few steps away. The mall even has a bowling alley, archery and an ice skating ring.

My room was very clean and quite comfortable with an overlook of the artificial lagoon. It included HD TV, mini fridge (no bar), ample of square footage, security safe, fresh linens daily etc… I only wish it had drawers for clothes (closet with a shelf only), but got used to it after a week.
The arranged rate (~250MYR) included free morning buffet (nice selection of western, asian and indian), free internet service (average speed as far as the region goes).

The staff was friendly, polite and helpful. I was quite happy they were able to extend my stay on last the day as when requested few days prior, the hotel was fully booked.

Location being away from center KL it’s probably not the hotel for a tourist or a first time visitor (unless instead of sight seeing you prefer water recreation at the lagoon). I give it thumbs up for a business trip, especially for people in my situation; been here many times earlier, already seen and did all the city attractions and just want a quiet enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Myself and 4 other colleagues stayed for 3 nights while working with a local company. It was a really great place, I wish I had more free time for fun.

If you are interested in the water park it looked massive from what I saw. The hotel is also connected to a very western shopping mall, packed with well-known retailers, restaurants and even an ice rink.

The best part is that free breakfast buffet, it rivals the best hotels. I didn’t skip a morning meal while I was here, best croissants!

Gym was well equipped, and the pool area looked very nice.

Only drawback is they will nick you for like $20 USD for internet use. Other than that a really awesome place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
RekhaDutt, Director of Marketing Communications at Sunway Pyramid Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. We are glad to note that you were impressed with the overall resort, and that breakfast was truly satisfying.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and as the year-end festivities are fast approaching, we take this opportunity to wish you Happy Holidays. Here's also wishing that 2011 will be filled with all that you wish for and look forward to.

Yours sincerely,
Rekha Dutt
Director of Marketing Communications
Singapore
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I came here for a business meeting, the hotel is located right next to a shopping mall and a water theme park and plenty of night clubs. I can imagine this is a great place for weekend getaway.

The hotel itself is just average, room is not new, not big, really just acceptable (comparing to other hotels I stay in KL at similar price range). Feels more like a budget or 3 star at most. Service is pretty standard, in KL standard, but I expecteed nothing more from the beginning. Place is clean, and I slept well, probably exhausted from the business meetings as well.

Oh yeah, one thing I wanted to point out is, they do not provide internet as claimed, and it is impossible to communicate this to their stuff. I just ended going to the shopping mall next door (5 min walk) and use their free wifi instead.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dtai010
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Attached to the Sunway Pyramid Mall and Sunway Lagoon Theme Park.

We got the room which is usually cater for conference and time share guests which is different tower from the Hotel's guests. Spacious studio apartment with kitchenette. Room has a very small walk-in wardrobe and regular hotel size bathroom with bathtub.

Hotel's internet rate is very expensive. Not worth paying for it when you can get free internet at Coffee Bean, Starbuck and Station 1 Cafe (open 24 hours). Or one can easily purchase a prepaid broadband from the mall telecommunication shops.

There's a strip of clubbing area and shop houses attached / opposite the hotel. Location is good if you have business to be in Sunway town. At least this is not a run down room like Sunway Hotel Penang. The room rate is triple the price of Sunway Hotel Penang but condition 10x better than Sunway Hotel Penang.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travellerstrail
Pune
Reviewed October 8, 2010

It is a hotel worth staying. Quick service and availability.
Hotel not ideal for couples specifically for honeymoon.
It is extravagantly big..good to roam around.
Ice skating, shopping complex in the vicinity is worth for an experience.
Sunway theme park is a good attraction for children but is very expensive and not included in the package.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 7, 2010

One of the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had in a "4 stars" hotel. Let me say first that I give 2 (instead of 1) in my review because of the good effort of one staff to resolve one of my problems in the hotel. It was the only exception of a good service in this hotel.

Arrival was OK, the lobby gives the impression of a good 3 star hotel and the check in was effective and fast. And then I go to the room. One word can only describe it: Depressive! Very small for SE Asia standards (and for 4 stars) with practically no view (only an inside corridor) cheap furniture, awful combination of colors a very narrow desk for the laptop and a basic (but clean) bathroom. OK I though I'll spend most of my time in the conference room so fine.

I connect to the Internet (approx 20 USD for 24 hours) and I see that the connection will not work in the meeting rooms! WOW That's a rip off! I need a separate account for the meeting room! My mood starts to be not good.

Next morning I go for breakfast. First observation; the restaurant is too small for so many guests. It was a panic situation; almost all tables full and in one corner one table with about 20 chairs and 15 people eating breakfast. The tables that had no customers were full of the dirty dishes and although many staff was around nobody was seem to bother. OK I say I just need my flakes and fruits. I head to the flakes station and all the bowls are DIRTY. Not a single clean bowl. Full of stains. I point the situation to a staff who just picks one bowl (the most dirtiest) and goes away! I was really pissed off, I left the place without having breakfast.

Then it was the meeting room. Temperature there was about 14 or 16 C maximum! All participants of the meeting (150+) were complaining but the staff just told as that this is the usual practice and it will take more than 4 hours to change the temperature. Now this is serious it was extremely uncomfortable. Many participants just left the room. One female colleague told me that she was sick and she will not risk staying at such temperature the whole day. At about 15:00 (the meeting started at 09:00) the temperature was up to probably 18-20 C and that was all.

Back in the room at 18:00 and my room is a refrigerator. Although I've turned the air con off I discovered that once you remove the key card the aircon goes automatically on! And it was working fro 9 hours! I made the mistake not to complain this night but the next night I told them that I CAN NOT stay there. The only good staff that I mention in the begging of my report accepted to put me in one of the suites apartments were the air con had a clear on and off switch and it was not depending on the key card.

At the same evening I ask for a taxi reservation for the next day to go to the airport. The price for a "Hotel Limousine" (as they described the car) is 120 MYR. I told them that on my way from the airport I pay 64 MYR and they reply that this is the price of the airport taxi comany, they can not make a reservation, they can give me the number to make a reservation myself but sometimes the airport taxi will not be on time. Do you take the risk? I didn't take it and I accepted the 120 MYR. Next morning I go to the lobby and ask for my "hotel limousine"; what I get is a 6 seater van type car. That's a limousine for the sunway standard.

After all this experience I can only say: NEVER AGAIN! If you have to be there for a meeting conference try to find something near and pay the taxi cost but have a decent stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Trip_Datum

Travelers are raving about these Petaling Jaya hotels

Aberdeen
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Very good quality hotel with a large shopping mall attached.
Bandar Sunway is a good safe area to stay, plenty of restaurents and a few bars/nightclubs nearby.
Very good location if you work to the west of KL - Port Klang, Shah Alam etc

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaling Jaya
#4 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
Sunway Clio Hotel
Sunway Clio Hotel
#1 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
Resort Suites Hotel at Bandar Sunway
Resort Suites Hotel at Bandar Su...
#32 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
#3 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
Sunway Putra Hotel
Sunway Putra Hotel
#33 of 345 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to Sunway Pyramid Hotel? Share your experiences!