“Ideal hotel for shopping”

Sunway Pyramid Hotel
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
Reviewed January 24, 2010

i stayed at this hotel on 23th-24th Jan. Hotel recep was kind enough to allow me to check in early at 730am so that i can make it in time for my meeting at the pyramid convention centre.in between the break, i can go back to my room for a much needed break as i had woke up at 230am to prepare for the 3-4hr drive into town.
the room is clean,but i find the hallways a bit confusing.my bed n pillow were comfortable,putting my wife n myself into a deep slumber in no time.
we only had a light breakfast buffet there, rest of the time we had our meals at the sunway pyramid shopping centre which had plenty of choices for food and a great venue for shopping.
in between my convention meeting, i could still fit-in shopping, great food and i avoid the busy n hectic traffic of KL city. it's like no time wasted

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 28, 2009

This hotel totally sucks!! Other than its location, it is at best a cheap budget type hotel that charges an arm and a leg for its location. I paid MYR365 + 15% tax per nite without breakfast. The rooms, furnishing, fixtures (everything) spells cheap. Can you believe they are still using a 20' CRT TV in the room!! Cheap ceramic tiles, no standing shower (other than the one in the bathtub)., etc.

I booked a room from it's official website. There were 3 offers for the same type/price of a room. 1. Just the room with complimentary breakfast. 2. Just the room with Broadband and Satellite TV and 3. Just the room with complimentary breakfast and late check-out-2pm. I thought. Nice!. So, I booked the room with the offer of Broadband and Satellite TV. Upon arrival, front desk told me Broadband internet will cost me. I have to show them my printed voucher that says I selected Broadband package. I had to tell them I chose Broadband package.

Upon check up, I was charged for broadband at RM58 X 2nites. I did not take their breakfast but was charged anyway under their breakfast package!!

The room was small with signs of aging and cheap furnishing. The WC in my toilet does not stop flowing unless I keep pressing the flush button several times to stop the flow of water into the WC. There was no toothbrush kit in the room. I had to ask housekeeping for one. The room 8148 was excessively cold even after increasing the thermostat. I had to switch off the aircon at times to keep warm, especially before and after taking a shower. The walls / partition boards must be thin was I was woken up by the noise created by housekeeping and other hotel guest walking past my door.

When I was walking back to the hotel at around 10pm from the main road. I noticed alot of 'ladies of the night' hanging around the perimeter of the hotel. The surrounding area outside the hotel was dark and grimy.

I would like to advise the hotel to revise it's booking site so that it does not mislead future guest about the offer of breakfast/broadband/satellite tv. But if the offer is sincere. State the offer clearly so that your own staff will not doubt the offer. Your staff explained to me that the room has the option of Broadband internet and it will cost me. I told myself "Damn! I have been duped". I had to beg your staff for their understanding and co-operation to give me what I thought I paid for.

In the end, I just paid up for the internet (RM58 X2) plus breakfast (RM30 per person) though I didnt eat at their restaurant.

Lastly, I opened my curtains and stared at a building wall 90%/ roof 10%.

Lesson learnt is: Stay at KL. Drive / Pay for taxi, midvalley - sunway.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank iantham
RekhaDutt, Director of Marketing Communications at Sunway Pyramid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2009

Dear Sir,

We appreciate your comments. The hotel views all feedback seriously and will certainly look into the matters that you have raised.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Rekha Dutt

Reviewed December 28, 2009

Went to this hotel with 6 families of young children. Arrived on Christmas eve and decided to have dinner at the restaurant downstairs the hotel. Food was so-so but when my husband was quening up for a bowl of yee mee, he noticed that there is a croachcoach in the soup and a few of us had a few bowls of noodles by then. My siste who went with her family just three days ago told me later that she also found a croachroach on a water melon. Breakfast at the cafe was terrible that we decided to eat outside the hotel on the last morning...

Other than this terrible experience, the room was fine but view is terrible (facing a rooftop) and ideal to go to the theme park for the kids.

• Stayed: December 2009

Dear Madam,

Thank you for having come in a big group and stayed with us. We appreciate your honest feedback and will look into the matters that you have raised. The hotel takes food safety management seriously. As such, this is something that we will definitely investigate.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year from all of us at the hotel.

Yours sincerely,
Rekha Dutt

Reviewed December 20, 2009

Easy to find, airport taxis know the location cost of the ride is about 84 ringgits. Take a taxi from the airport office, private taxis will charge too much.

The hotel is part of a multi-purpose complex with the following:
- water park
- shopping mall
- lots of restaurant options

Good for chilling after a long meeting day

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Check in went well eventhough we arrived early. The room has view of the coffee house. Overall the room is quite clean and spacious. There was a closet and a small safe. The fridge was kept empty so we can fill it with anything we want and not have to worry about being charged for taking anything from the minibar. The hotel also provides a kettle and mugs/glasses.

Stayed there for 4days/3nights with breakfast included.

Check out was pretty straightforward. Staffs are quite friendly and welcoming.

Upside:
sunway pyramid shopping mall is connected with the hotel - handy as it was the rainy season
breakfast selection is vast
free ice dispensing machine at each floor
complementary paper each morning
elevators are usually readily available and are pretty swift

Downside:
Cellphone reception was bad in the room
Housekeeping can be slow in cleaning the room
Aircond keeps on resetting itself after midnight - making it uncomfortable to sleep
The pool is a bit far - you have to go to the resort hotel
TV has limited channels
Toilet was situated in a corner with walls on either side - quite narrow, so u r a bit boxed in
Mosquitoes are quite common in the hotel and even in the mall
Beds are a bit too firm for my liking
Walls are a bit thin as you can hear when people are talking as they pass by the room.

Overall, it is a good hotel to stay in especially if you intend to do a lot of shopping. The shopping mall itself has four storeys of shops (F, G, LG1, LG2 floors) and carries quite a good selection of brands. It also has cinema, bowling, ice skating and archery.

The breakfast was great with a vast variety of food to select from - vegetarians, western, oriental cuisines. They keep on refilling the food up till the breakfast is going to be close at 10.30am.

The one major disappointment I have with the hotel is how the thermostat would just reset itself after midnight. I understand its better for the environment and also more importantly for them, its gonna cut down on cost; however I ended up waking up a couple of times each night just because it was getting warm in the room and I had to set the thermostat to be cooler - only to wake up a couple of hours later cause its been yet again reset to low fan and the highest temp.

But that being said, the upsides does outweigh the downside so I would be coming back to the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Did a 3d/2n weekend stay.

Price - MYR240++ by booking thru an agent (exclusive of breakfast).
Arrived at 10am, greeted by bell hop and efficiently ushered to the check-in reception.
Check-in was fuss free for a weekend.
Hotel Room was spacious, clean, simple decor with sprinkle of things Malaysian- nice touch.
Hotel is conveniently located to a megamall with supermarts, shops, dept stores, restaurants, cafes, entertainment, ice skating rink etc. Most shops in the malls open at 10am.

Some downsides:
My room on the 8th floor faced the air-con/water cooling units - so no great view,
Connnecting room door was a bit thin and we could hear our "neighbours" when they were talking loudly.
Housekeeping forgot to clean our room on the first day until we reminded them at 4+pm. No complimentary newspaper delivered on the first day.
Pool was located next door inn sister hotel - sunway resort.
Hotel could have provided more in-room information about facilities available at sunway resort.
Didnt get a chance to visit the theme / waterpark due to wet weather.

If you want a spa/ massage, check them out at the shoppingcentre as the shops there offer better value than the hotel spa.

Check-out was also fast and efficient on a sunday at 10am.

Overall, no major complaints for the price I paid since i was there more for the shopping and only came back to the room to sleep / rest.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Firstly, I was told this hotel rocks. I booked a room from it's official website. There were 3 offers for the same type/price of a room. 1. Just the room with complimentary breakfast. 2. Just the room with Broadband and Satellite TV and 3. Just the room with complimentary breakfast and late check-out-2pm. I thought. Nice!. I don't need breakfast but i need broadband internet. I called the hotel a day before check-in and was informed that 1hr internet in the room is RM$32 and RM$58.00 for 24hrs internet. So, I booked the room with the offer of Broadband and Satellite TV (which i did not need). Upon arrival, front desk told me Broadband internet will cost me. I have to show them my printed voucher that says I selected Broadband package before they gave in. I had to tell them I chose Broadband package as I do not want breakfast.

The room was quite spacious but signs of aging and cheap furnishing. The WC in my toilet does not stop flowing unless I keep pressing the flush button several times to stop the flow of water into the WC. There was no toothbrush kit in the room. I had to ask housekeeping for one. The room 7164 was excessively cold even after increasing the thermostat. I had to switch off the aircon at times to keep warm, especially before and after taking a shower. The walls must be thin was I was woken up by the noise created by housekeeping and other hotel guest walking past my door.

Lastly, I opened my curtains and stared at a building wall 90%/ roof 10%.

Lesson learnt is: Stay at Midvalley. If I have another business meeting around Sunway. Pay for taxi, midvalley - sunway.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business