“A so so experience”

KomPassion - Damansara Kim
Ranked #74 of 1,396 Restaurants in Petaling Jaya
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Kompassion Damansara Kim serves modern Asian cuisine with Thai influence. All our dishes are original creations by Chef Kom, where he challenges the idea of authenticity linked to a country and celebrate the harmony of taste from different culture in each dish. You can say it is Authentically Kompassion! FYI, Kompassion Damansara Kim is non-halal.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A so so experience”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Came here to try this place out after hearing that it's a sister restaurant to My Elephant.

The experience was just so so. Food pricing doesn't match the quality or quantity delivered to the table, and the tom yam medium spiciness was too spicy even for someone who relishes a spicy challenge for me.

Would not be returning back here in a hurry.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gan Y

Norwich, United Kingdom
“More likely to return to My Elephant than KomPassion”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A group of 4 of us visited for dinner on Friday night. No problems over the reservation and they were expecting us when we arrived. It was busy, but also noisy as the hard decor is quite unforgiving. It was all very tasty, and some of it plucked straight out of My Elephant, I suspect. The sauces on the green curry chicken and hanglaey curry pork were just like the green and red curries over in Sri Hartamas. Lovely, but almost too much the same.
I feel our experience would have been better if we'd had a little structure to the evening...starters, a few minutes break, then mains. It was completely random, which can feel more like a young child attacking a buffet!
The coconut ice-cream with jackfruit was lovely. I have no idea if they make it in-house, but I enjoyed it.
Our bill including a few beers each was RM342.
Out of the two sister restaurants, I'd be more likely to return to My Elephant because it is cheaper, less noisy, closer to home and I prefer the atmosphere. However, if I lived down the road from KomPassion I'd happily go there too, its just not different enough for me to make the trip again. For anyone who is thinking of trying a meal there, I'd recommend that you do, try dishes which sound different to what you've had in My Elephant, and book first!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Maxwells-in-Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Unfulfilled expectations”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

It was a our date night evening and the name came up in a Timeout search. Other people seem to have heard of it and it's sister restaurant My Elephant, so we gave it a try. After all, what could be more novel in KL than a funky Thai fusion restaurant in an untrendy residential part of town?
I am seldom impressed with anything that I think i can cook myself and unfortunately what we had was exactly that. The presentation of some of the food was pretty neat but this did not match in terms of flavour which I found on the bland side. The food could quite easily be deconstructed. The crispy belly pork green curry sounded very promising but turned out to be a disappointment with mostly pieces of fatty roast pork added into a rather ordinary tasting green curry sauce. At RM35 they could have used better quality roast pork and had bigger portions. The duck and pomelo salad was far too large for 2 people but it only came in one size and at RM75 for the dish it didn't seem to make much sense. This was simply smoked duck slices (could have been commercial) laid out on a large plate with the usual Thai pomelo salad and nutty garnishes, with a sweet sour dressing on the side. I didn't think the flavours came together as they should with a good Thai salad.
With hard concrete floors and few soft furnishing, the acoustics of the place really needs improvement - we could hardly hear ourselves talk.
You can tell they tried hard to make this place look and feel interesting but they didn't quite get it right.

• Visited April 2013