“Two very different Hiltons in KL”

Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
Hong Kong
“Two very different Hiltons in KL”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I usually stay at Hilton KL, however due to the location of meetings on this trip thought I’d try Hilton PJ. Wish I hadn’t bothered. The hotel is dated and the lobby could do with a refurbishment however it was the service that was really lacking. At check-in, the receptionist was more interested in her conversation with a colleague regarding a cheque from another guest rather than answering my questions. I had booked an Executive Room – while upgraded to a suite, it was in the West Wing as opposed to the East Wing where the Executive Lounge is situated. So to get to the Executive Lounge, had to take an elevator down to the lobby and walk across to the separate bank of elevators for the East Wing to go up. Nice bed but room did smell of mildew until the air conditioning was cranked up. Bell staff and coffee shop attendants were very pleasant however my interaction with other staff left me feeling like I was bothering them by staying at the hotel. I travel regularly to KL and next time I’ll be back at Hilton KL – it’s a lot easier to get to via KLIA Ekspres and the service is consistently good.

Room Tip: If you book at Executive Room, make sure they put in the East Wing where the Executive Wing Lounge i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brett S
GMHiltonPetalingJaya, General Manager at Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
It was a pleasure having you with us at Hilton Petaling Jaya though it is regrettable that your recent stay with us was disappointing.

Regarding your room, as you mentioned my team upgraded you from an executive room to a suite, which was located in our west wing away from the executive lounge which is in the east wing. I apologize that this was not pointed out to in advance of you being checked in. I have requested that my team make a point of advising guests clearly in future of the suites’ location to avoid a similar situation in the future with other guests.

Concerning your interactions with my team, I am glad that mostly you had positive experiences though I note this was a little inconsistent. I apologize if you were at any time made to feel unwelcome which obviously was never our intention.

I wish to assure you that your patronage to staying at a Hilton Hotel is valuable to us though I respect your preference for our Hilton KL property. Thank you again for the feedback and I hope that one day you will return to Hilton PJ at which time I am sure you will have a better experience.

Hilton Petaling Jaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had some reservations about this hotel being in Petaling Jaya but when I got there I found it was unfounded. Its a short walk from the Asia Jaya train stop although getting there during peak hours is a little challenging.

The check in was most efficient as I was able to check in on the 21st floor. The lobby of the hotel was large and found it most inviting. The check in staff was very efficient and made sure everything was spot on for the room.

Room itself had a nice view towards the city of KL and it appears to be one in the renovated wing. The bed was great but firm with sheets that were crisp and white. The bathroom was large and awesome, especially the shower. The usual amenities by Peter Roth were at hand.

Room service was prompt and the quality of the food ordered was excellent. I really enjoyed the portions. Try the club sandwich.

Lounge on the 21st floor was comparable to the Hilton at KL Sentral or Doubletree in the city. The offering for breakfast was adequate and some of the cakes for snacks in the evening were a delight.

Wifi signal was strong and the speed quite adequate for surfing and the bout of iTunes updates.

I really like this hotel. It maybe somewhat dated looking on the outside, but the renovated wing I was in was awesome and I cannot speak highly enough of this stay there. The staff at the lounge and business centre were most helpful and really made the stay quite enjoyable.

Taxis were quite cheap to if you choose not to take the train at Asia Jaya stop. Its approx. M$10 to Mid Valley Megamall and around M$15 to KL Sentral. Its a little more if you take the blue executive taxis.

I have no doubt I will be back at this hotel and given the pricing of the rooms compared to Hilton KL or Doubletree, its a nice option for stays in KL.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GMHiltonPetalingJaya, General Manager at Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate you taking time to share the feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and in particular our newly renovated guestrooms, executive floor, food, facilities, and in-room amenities and efficient service from my team. I will be sure to pass your kind words to the team. We have great accessibility being located a stone throw away from the Asia Jaya LRT station which convenient for you to access to the city during your next stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you and your family to the Hilton Petaling Jaya when you next return to KL.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business and certainly a good place to be at. The executive floor is great but have seen better more modern ones else where. However, I cannot speak for the standard room but would think that this is a great place.

Not crowded with people as I personally prefer it to be quiet. Although there isn't any big malls within walking distance but the outlet mall is 6km away and a taxi ride would be easy.

The rest of the things would be similar to other Hilton and expect the very best.

• Stayed May 2012
GMHiltonPetalingJaya, General Manager at Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate you taking time to share your feedback on the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our newly renovated bedrooms at the executive floor. All executive rooms have access to the executive lounge, serving complimentary breakfast, evening drinks, canapés and free wifi. Also, thank you for the comments about the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members. Our mission is to deliver quality services to all our customers as per Hilton standard.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Petaling Jaya when you next return to KL.

kolkata
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had been frequent visitor to KL about 3 years back on business purpose. Except for one trip I had always stayed in Hilton PJ. Hotel is most conveniently located only 30 mts away from the heart of the city (Times Square). LRT station Asia Jaya is only 3 mts walk. The hospitality of the hotel is excellent. The staff are very friendly ( the staff at portico immediately recognised me on arrival & enquired why I was not visiting for last few years) . The rooms are very well appointed and spacious. Swiming Pool is very cozy & dining is a pleasure. The breakfast is having large varity & very tempting. Hilton Honors system is excellent. As a matter of fact I had stayed 3 days in April'13 with family free of charge by redeeming some points (authority was extremely helpful in making continuity of the privilage as special case even though I had not visited for 3 years). I would strongly recomend this hotel for both business & family trips.

Room Tip: Any room from 4th to 7th floor overlooking the swiming pool in new wing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our newly renovated bedrooms, facilities, food and the service from my team, I will be sure to pass on your kind words. And I do agree we have great accessibility being located a stone throw away from the Asia Jaya LRT station.

Thank you again for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Petaling Jaya when you next return to KL.

singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Have been frequenting this hotel since I was younger with my parents... it was good then and even after the renovation it's good if not better! Friendly staff, excellent service and the cleanliness is great! A definite must stay even thought its a little bit away from the city!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team members. We have great accessibility being located a stone throw away from the Asia Jaya LRT station which convenient for you to access to the city during your next stay at our hotel.

Sydney
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A very old hotel, but has undergone recent refurbishment. Unfortunately we had a problem with check-in, mainly due to the Hilton global website providing misleading information. We booked an executive-plus twin room, as we are a family of 4, and the website stated that this room accommodates 2 adults and 2 children. However we discovered that the room only contained 2 single beds, so we had to return to the front reception and negotiate. Fortunately the reception staff member was receptive to our disappointment and offered to place us in a similar room with a king bed and add in 2 roll away beds, and complimentary breakfast for our children at no extra cost. The next day during breakfast, we were told we had to pay for our children's breakfast so we had to discuss the situation again with another staff member, who eventually agreed to uphold the offer.
Breakfast buffet was plentiful and had many choices, and many dishes were quite tasty. The Gym was large and well-equipped, but some of the equipment, though still in working condition, were quite dated. We found the Concierge staff very obliging and helpful with our luggage.
We have now learnt to double check room bedding directly with the hotel, rather than rely on a global website.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay. It was a pleasure having you with us at Hilton Petaling Jaya though it is regrettable there was an initial problem with your room allocation.

Regarding your room, I am sorry that our global website incorrectly listed the number of suitable occupants of the room. My team has followed up and requested that the correct information be updated. I apologize for this oversight though I am glad that my team were able to find a suitable solution for you and your family whilst here.

Thank you for the great feedback regarding our plentiful breakfast buffet, great Concierge team and spacious gym. I agree that some of the equipment is getting old and we have plans in place to replace soon.

Again, thank you very much for the constructive feedback. I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to the Hilton Petaling Jaya at some time in the future when you next return to KL.

Brisbane
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here for 12 nights and found the room modern and well appointed. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the bathroom large with both a shower and bath, big flat TV, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities, fridge, safe and great security on the door. The room was always cleaned to an excellent standard. It has a very good swimming pool which was never overcrowded and allowed freedom to swim laps. I did not use the gym but others advised that it was well equipped. The breakfast had mutiple choices for all tastes. The staff in all areas were polite and helpful and always willing to help. Overall it was a most pleasant stay and a great place to return to after a long working day. Once the hotel can offer free internet, then it will gain a 5 rating.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room that does not have a connecting door to another room as the noise is invasive...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMHiltonPetalingJaya, General Manager at Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013

I was delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and in particular our tastefully designed bedrooms, facilities, and amenities and the service from my team. I will be sure to pass your kind words to the team.

As a business hotel, we recognize our guests' need for internet and in particular wifi. We are currently in the midst of negotiations to change and plan on having complimentary wifi in public areas as well as wifi in all bedrooms by the Summer.