“Good Hotel - Spent Almost 3 Weeks Here”

JJ Boutique Hotel Damansara Perdana
JJ Boutique Hotel Damansara Perdana
Ranked #24 of 47 Petaling Jaya B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2013

First, let me start off by stating that I stayed in this hotel in late 2008; I was put up there by a consulting client/friend for the almost-3 weeks that I spent in Petaling Jaya visiting with him and doing consulting for him. At that time this property was called the Presidential Perdana Inn, but it is definitely the same property, as it is located at exactly the same address, and all of the many photographs of the exterior of this property, and of the lobby and front desk, show that it is the same hotel.

I want to also note right away that I speak only English, and I never found any front desk staffers at this hotel who were very good at speaking English (and rather, they all seemed to speak either Mandarin Chinese or, alternatively, a local Malay dialect). However, this was never a problem for me, since I had available to me via cell phone, nearly 24 hours per day, numerous members of my friend/client's family, each of whom could speak all kinds of Chinese dialects and also the local Malay dialect, and so they served as willing translators the few times that I needed any translation services. They also dropped by the hotel every morning to pick me up for breakfast (and work) and so, they were able to handle any pending conversations on my behalf with the front desk staff at that time.

I found this hotel to be eminently suitable for my needs during my lengthy stay here in late 2008. I found the hotel, during the length of my entire stay, to be clean (rooms, hallways, stairwell, and lobby), and even though my room sported a sealed balcony that looked out on Jalan PJU 8/5G, a busy city street, I never experienced any significant annoyance from street noise from vehicles, vendors or pedestrians, and it was a joy to stand at the window and look out at the busy bustling nearby streets and sidewalks at almost any time of day or night.

My room was of adequate size, and was clean and tidy, and well-furnished. The bathroom was vary large, as Malay-style hotel bathrooms tend to be, and in part because the shower area, which was totally Malay-style, was not enclosed. The toilet in the bathroom was a Western-style sitting toilet, and there was a bathroom sink as well.

There are so many great food stands and restaurants, many of them open almost 24 hours per day, located near this hotel that I could not begin to enumerate them, and let it suffice to say that about one-third of them offer Malay food, one-third of them offer Indian food (Malay version; and yes, roti in numerous variations, samosas and pakora are always available!), and the last one-third offer Chinese food (Malay version).

There are also numerous "general stores", aka dry goods stores, nearby, each offering basics ranging from paper towels and paper plates to all sorts of essentials and sundries.

And, at night, once darkness has fallen, dozens of vendors operating out of the backs of small trucks or wagons show up, park along the nearby sidewalks, and offer all sorts of ready-made (aka "prepared") and ready-to-eat tasty hot and cold foods that can be eaten on the street, or can be taken back to your hotel. There ae also numerous nighttime sidewalk vendors offering fruits, veggies, and particuarly, durian fruit! (Yes, some of the vendors will cut open the durian for you and will package as many pieces of durian meat as you wish in a plastic bag for you!)

Did I mention yet that insanely plentiful amounts of incredibly tasty food are available from numerous vendors located near the hotel, and available almost 24 hours per day? ???? And the food is all very inexpensive, so you will never starve while staying in this hotel! There is even a British-style steak house located across the street from the hotel, although I never visited it, as good food was so easily availalbe almost everywhere I turned once I had exited the hotel's front door onto the sidewalk.

There are several Internet cafes which will let you use a web-connected PC for a small per-hour fee located near the hotel, and so you do not necessarily need to bring your own laptop/notebook with you when traveling to this area. I had decided, when traveling to Petaling Jaya, to leave my laptop PC at home, and I managed all of my Internet needs just fine using the inexpensive Internet cafes located near the hotel.

When I stayed at this hotel, the uppermost floor of the hotel was occupied by a well-advertised (there were signs on the building, and in front of the building) massage and aromatherapy spa, and, from what information I can glean from the web, it seems that this hotel, under its current name, still sports the top-floor massage/aromatherapy/spa facility, which, as I remember, was open at least 18 hours per day, with a wide variety of massage therapists of both genders available.

Overall, I had a fine stay at this hotel, and I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again if I should, in the future, need to return to Petaling Jaya for my consulting work or to visit with friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Vinny067
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It is really a budget hotel, do not expect too many from it

Just some insights for people who are interested:

1. No shower gel and toothbrush, toothpaste
2. breakfast is instant cup noodles
3. around the hotel has many grocery stores and restaurants
4. slight smell of smoke in the bedroom, not sure if they gave me a smoking room.
5. The room was freezing and adjusted the temperature to 30 degree celcius didn't help. Then, I only realize that they gave me the wrong controller.
6. Noise insulation is bad, can easily hear the noise of people walking and talking around the corridor.
7. Remember to copy the address down because most taxi drivers do not know this place.

In conclusion, I would only recommend it if you have business around the area. Else, get a better hotel for your vacation!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed here because we were flying to Tioman the next day, just wanted a very brief overnight stay and this seemed the closest hotel to the airport (the flights to Tioman don't go from KL International Airport). In fairness, it was a fairly easy trip in the morning - a 20 minute cab for about 30RM. But that's the only good thing i can say about it.

For starters, if you do decide to go here (and, trust me, don't bother) make sure you get full directions from KL to give to the taxi driver. We got a taxi to the hotel from KLInternational airport at about 11pm, and it took us about 90 minutes because the driver just couldn't find it. We drove around aimlessly for about half an hour.

When we did arrive, we were shattered; it was 1am, we were getting a cab at 7am the next day, and the receptionist just seemed completely perplexed and took about 10 minutes to give us a key.

On to the room.. It was like a prison cell, and it had the most random bathroom set-up I have ever seen. The toilet and shower were basically a meter away from the bed, separated only by a glass window. So if you are going in a couple, be prepared to watch your dearly beloved on the loo as you lie in bed.

The place was reasonable clean, so maybe if you just want this as a convenience stay or are on business or something, it might be okay. But other than that, I'd steer clear.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple