“you call this a Hotel!!!”

Tune Hotel Kota Damansara
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
Reviewed March 12, 2011

This place looked impressive from the outside being bright and colourful.However, the moment i checked in, i began to have mixed feelings. The corridor is narrow.Room is small and toilet even smaller.Windows that cannot be opened for ventilation, so if you don't pay for the aircondition,you can jolly well suffocate. The shampoo and shower gel that i paid for is small and miserable.Cleaniness of the room need to improve too as the floor is always "DUSTY and SANDY '. I felt like i am staying in a domitary or hostal. I have stayed in budget hotels in many countries but i never felt like this so strongly before.
Overall, this place is not value for money. With the room price and the various add-ons, there are better choices of true budget hotels with much better location in Kuala Lumpur.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lto2011
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kota Damansara, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2011

Hi There,

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to our hotel.

I read your comments about our toilet and rooms being small, and indeed all rooms of our properties are space-challenged, and with the basic in every room; shower, fan, bed and a pull out desk, should suffice as crash pads for budget conscious travellers.

And for security reasons, all windows are locked and we have the ventilator fans placed in each and every room.

Cleanliness has always been one of our priorities and something we do not compromise.

If on any occasion we have slipped into the cracks, these issues will be swiftly resolved by the front-desk team if this was escalated to them.

I am not sure if you had brought this matter to the front-desk, however the front-desk would be able to assist by relocating you to a different room should there be one available. Or the least, request for housekeeping.

In any case we apologize sincerely for this unpleasantness marring your stay - thank you once again for highlighting the matter to us for our action.

Regards,
Sharon-Customer Care

Reviewed February 17, 2011

quite okay if you're looking for a place to stay. I've stayed at TuneHotels Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Penang, Bali Kuta & Legian... this is the first time i got a no-window room. but maybe they think i don't deserved window room since i pay US$4 nett a night during airasiago promo (bloody cheaper than a meal at nando's).

got no motive staying here, just purely lazy to drive back home (3x distance if back home than staying here). well, going out for a while now to enjoy foods around here. near thecurve for entertainment, shopping & dining.

the rest:

parking - free for now since not yet in operation (good!!)
aircond - didn't take since the fan is good enough
towel - forgot to bring, so went to carrefour and buy cheap one.
shower gel - free from shokubutsu!!
bed - superb, really 3.5 stars (i've tasted 5-star bed at ritz carlton hotels as I'm a marriot club member)
bathroom - shower, clean & small bathroom
size - bloody small but hey, I stayed at easyhotel london, tunehotel rooms are bigger than easyhotels.
tv - i don't bother to buy, since i've tons of movies in my laptop that i can watch
internet - i've unlimited internet connection for my phone.

well, wish me a good stay. i will be inside my room for less than 7 hours only ;)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank goshocky
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel many times ( more than 3 times) since it opened in June 2010. I must say, some comments against this hotel, especially saying that the location is bad, is not justice enough. From the hotel website, you can see that it is "Kota Damansara", but not written as Kuala Lumpur. Those who want to stay in "KL" but finally choose Kota Damansara should not complain about the location, as it is not in KL. Just for example, if you go to KL, but you stay in Penang, and you complain the transport between Penang and KL is bad and takes long time... ! This is for people who have a car, or if you go to Petaling Jaya (a district near KL), it is perfect. But if your destination is KL and you don't have a car, don't stay here, and please don't complain the location if you choose this one and go to KL by public transport. Again, IT IS NOT KL !!!

Besides the location, the price is reasonable and the service is acceptable. The bed is really "5 star", very good, and with a clean private bathroom. The room is not very small indeed, if you don't have so many luggages. But there's one thing that I hope it can improve. At least to provide one remote control for air-con in every room, instead of sharing one remote control by several rooms. Every time if I want to change the temperature or the speed of the fan, I need to go to the counter and borrow the remote control, as they said it is shared by several rooms! Other than that, this hotel is perfect!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travellife-dot-org
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kota Damansara, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Hi There,

Thank you for visiting our hotel and completing a Trip Advisor Review on your return.

Your comments on the sharing of the remote control between multiple rooms caught my attention.

The hotel manager clarified that each room will be provided with a remote for air-conditioning and fan during check in and guest need to have them returned during check out.

Reason being is that the hotel is experiencing many cases of "missing remotes" where decision was made to control the use of these items by literally issuing them at the front desk counter.

This means, if you have lost them, you will need to get a replacement at the frontdesk for a minimal charge.

Thank you very much for sharing with us about your stay experience and we are glad that you enjoyed the other parts of your stay.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Thank you.

Sharon- Customer Care

Reviewed December 26, 2010

I stayed in Tune hotel for 6 night in total without knowing where is " kota damansara" and Kuala lumpur map well like most tourist. i have booked the hotel and have viewed many bad comments and good comments before i arrived in this hotel. I was very worried and in fact rang the hotel and cancelled the whole booking a week before i arrived. that is the fear i had when i knew the inconvinence it can cause. Me and my british partner arrived and we both work out all the ways to get to this hotel either cheapest way or most expensive ways. To take a taxi from LCCT airport before 12pm ( after 12pm the taxi is 1.5 original rate) it cost RM 70 and a taxi from KL central to tune hotel kota damansara cost you rm 30 one way. you can catch a taxi to one utame cost you rm 10 and from there you can catch the bus from the bus stop near "cold storage" and if the taxi is too expensive for you. Then the metro bus which stop directly in front of Lorenzo furniture store which require you to walk from the front door of tune hotel to the bus stop that takes 10 minutes. the bus just cost rm 2.50 and you must have enough patient and no big luggage with you. Me and my partner dont get home to the hotel until 11pm everyday after all the tours. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable just the distance is killing you whne you dont have a car to drive there. Other way to travel is to get a bus u89 to kelana jaya train station then use the train netu work to bring you to KL central and surrounding. there is no free shuttle bus for customer from one utama shopping mall to the hotel and the free shuttle bus is only for "certain members" I spent a long times in One utama to find this free shuttle bus to connect to the hotels and here is a sticker saying it is for special members not tune hotel customers. The sky bus counter is close currently and when i was there i was very upset to see the timetable advertised they served until late but they cut off half the timetable served and they are still looking to hire a staff to work in the counter. we wasted so much money on transportation which can be spent on other activities. You can book this hotel when you are having a kid studying in Segi college nearby or coming for business trip nearby but other than that i dont think i will return Tune hotel in Kota Damansara.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ressyfoo
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kota Damansara, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Hi There,

Thank you very much for your very comprehensive review of Tune Hotels Kota Damansara.

For ease of transportation, you could check with out concessionaires Captrans, situated at the hotel lobby to make your travel arrangements.

You could get further assistance from the front desk; they would be more than happy to be of assistance.

I hope you find your next visit here, an interesting one.

Thank you for the review and we hope to have the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Sharon - Customer Care

Reviewed November 21, 2010

With the Australian dollar being oh-so-mighty, I bought my cheap ticket from AirAsia and booked myself 'cheap' accomodation at Tune hotel.

With Tune hotels, you basically pay for every single thing you use from usage of the TV to air-conditioning. Thereby 'saving' you money.

So if you are coming into Malaysia via AirAsia, you will arrive at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal and not the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. In short, its the lousier airport.

TRANSPORT
Now from LCCT, if you are travelling alone and intend to save money you could take the Skybus (You can buy tickets just before you exit customs and walk about 200-300m to the skybus bus stand) to the KL Sentral train station, and make your way round the huge construction site to a make-shift bus station (as of October 2010 and you can get directions from the Monorail station if you cant find your bearings) and then take RAPIDKL U89 bus route (bus fares are very very cheap RM2-3) which will pass by the hotel (just tell the driver). Or if you are travelling in a party of 4 then I highly recommend taking a taxi directly to the Tune hotel. Make sure you purchase a taxi ticket from the airport counter and not get jibbed by rouge taxi drivers outside the airport. I remember it was roughly about ~RM120 and if you divide that by 4 persons, that's alright considering how far you have to travel.
Remember that the mighty Australian dollar gets you RM3 (as of October 2010) so just spend a little and travel by taxi.

HOTEL RECEPTION
Once we've arrived at the hotel, it's a very colourful building, but I mistakenly thought that the entire building was the hotel but I found out that it only took up the 3rd and 4th floors of the building.
If you happen to be driving, there is underground parking with lifts that will take you up to the hotel floors. The carpark appears to be still under construction so for now I guess parking is free.
So I entered the ground floor and I can see portable banners setup up by the elevators guiding us to the 3rd floor.
Once at the 3rd floor, I saw guard at his desk doodling on his notepad. Two out of commission computers that I believe was meant for hotel guests to surf the net on but an operational wall-mounted LCD TV. Scroll below to see pictures. And lastly a nasty lady on duty at the reception. I wont comment on her rudeness and her inability to be of any assistance to me and my crew. I just hope her boyfriend/partner is proud of her. Suffice to say service is bad! PS. There is no free WIFI and no telephones in the rooms and you cannot use the telephones at the reception. The reception can organise taxis for you.

HOTEL ROOMS
The rooms are not all the same size. You may get stuffed into a smallish room or a windowless room. However, I recommend you invoke your right as a tourist and demand to change to better rooms. I certainly did..
If you scroll down the photos, you can see the room I ended up with. Twin beds with a view.
The size is decent. Beds are great. Bathroom is small. Water pressure is decent. Toilet was blocked and flooded very easily... took forever for the contents to flush away.. I recommend not to wear shoes/footwear in your room but thats just me... it gets dirty really fast. So just get a little box as your make shift shoe box :)
I paid for air conditioning and the tv. But seriously you can save money and just use the free ceiling fan (Gosh, its sad when you have to call the ceiling fan 'free'). By the way, what's use of being called a budget traveller if you cant stand a little heat? If you really want to save money, then you can sleep in the corridors LOL the corridors have air conditioners running throughout the day :)
Also I was in my room trying to get some sleep and there were other foreign guests talking in the corridors and the walls must be thin a I could hear them talking loudly and I had to go out and tell them to keep it down. So yes, thin walls!
There are wall plugs for you to charge mobile phones and cameras etc. but use an international adapter.
Airconditioner and TV usage can be monitor by inserting room card into the unit and the display will tell you how many hours you have left. Hours roll over to the next day.

THINGS TO DO
The STRAND area has tons of restaurants. You can just cross the road and have lots of choices are your disposal. They open right up pass midnight. There are two mega supermarkets, Carrefour and Giant. Carrefour is your on left as soon as you walk out the hotel. Giant supermarket is straight ahead as you leave the hotel. You have to walk quite a distance to get to these supermarkets, I estimate 400m? But then again, I am a slow walker. As mentioned before, you can take the very cheap public bus transport but the bus intervals is very long, I imagine that you have to wait for hours... I waited for one to see how long the intervals were and I can tell you that the time I waited for the bus, I got married and had five children and the bus still did not arrive.

My plans were to go to KL city (FOR TONS OF SHOPPING and buy robots called gundams) and again with 4 persons, Taxi fares are reasonable. You can take a Taxi to the nearby 1Utama shopping complex and IKEA (About RM30). I went right up to my favourite shopping mall, Sungei Wang in KL city about RM70 (its roughly around this mark, I wrote down the fares somewhere but lost it and this is based on memory). Remember always ask to use the meter.

FAVOURITE SHOPPING SPOTS
1. Sungei Wang
2. 'Pasar Malams' or Night Markets set up along road at various suburbs/neighbourhoods throughout KL. Melbourne's equivalent would be Queen Vic Market... but totally cannot compare to pasar malams in Malaysia
3. 1Utama
4. Mid Valley
5. I dont like going to the high-end shopping spots like Pavillion. (Branded stuff like Coach, Gucci, etc... forget about finding gundams here)

FINAL THOUGHTS
For a budget hotel, TUNE is still pricey. I discovered a cheaper hotel that includes air-conditioning, and drinking water dispensers and free WI-FI, all for much cheaper in the STRAND shopping area. Its just down the road from Tune. Beds, toilet and bathroom facilities are on par with TUNE. Myhomehotel.com.my. I highly recommend this hotel over TUNE anyday. However, one thing that Tune hotels has an advantage is that its hotels are placed in many locations in KL, interstate and even overseas compared to the locally based MyHome Hotels.
So based solely for value for money,
TUNE hotel gets a 2 out of 5 stars for me.
My home hotels gets a 4 out of 5 stars.
I would be more than happy to help anyone wanting to find Tune or My Home Hotels
Go to my blog for links of hotels and bus routes and shops and etc listed here plus my pictures of Tune Hotel Kota Damansara and the room I stayed at.

3  Thank limucat
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kota Damansara, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2010

Hi There,

We appreciate the level of detail you went into and take note of the comments you have made regarding areas for improvement within the hotel.

Being a Limited Service Hotel, we provide the basics for a good night sleep. We do not provide items such as wardrobe, mini bar, coffee, and tea making facilities, extra pillows, extra beds, room service, etc. Air-conditioning, Television, and Wi-Fi are chargeable add-ons and towels are on rental basis only. This typically allows our customers to assemble their stay requirements to suit their budget.

We adopt a demand based pricing mechanism. Room rates fluctuate based on demand and room availability. You are more likely to find more promo room rates during off peak periods than during peak periods (public holidays, weekends, etc).

It is certainly a rewarding pursuit for the ones who plan and book ahead and a real treat for budget conscious back packers and perfect for people who just want a good price on a user pays basis.

All of our front desk team are equipped with the necessary skills to manage and handle complaints and enquiries. Though we note that you have voiced your displeasure with their services, you fail to highlight how it missed your mark.

A detailed review of this would be of great assistance to further improve our service delivery. Nonetheless, we take note of your comments on the security guard "doodling" on his notepad.
This is something we have highlighted to the hotel manager for immediate action.

With your comments about the clogged toilets and dirty floors, wearing shoes in the room will certainly make the floors dirty and I agree to your recommendations to not wear them in the room. And for the clogged toilets, the maintenance team could have had that sorted quickly ;else we would have been able to relocate you to a different room, should there be one available.

It's great to read how you have vividly described our hotel and the surrounding neighborhood. Appreciate this very much as it would be a helpful guide for future guests.

Thank you very for dropping us a feedback following your stay, in any case we apologize sincerely for any unpleasantness marring your stay - thank you once again for highlighting the matter to us for our action.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Sharon- Customer Care

Reviewed October 27, 2010

I've stayed 2 nights at this hotel, overall consider a comfortable stay. If you're travelling by car, worth consider staying here, free parking (at least for the time being) is a plus point.
Foods wise very convenient, Asia Cafe just at door step. For more variety, can walk opposite, though quite risky or you can just drive over. Hypermarket, Ikea, Ikano Power Centre, The Curve all nearby, but of course not walking distance.

Thumbs up to the bed in the room. Certainly upto the 5 stars bed standard.

Could see a concern on security, since anyone can just access straight to ground floorhotel room without going through the reception via the lift from or car park.
Though CCTV is available, but doubt how it can helps to prevent if something really happen. Not feel really safe as a guest.

A bit let down for not allowing guests to have two room keys even there are two registered guests in the room, dont mind paying additional deposit for the room key and also another ic/passport for verifiction/registration purpose. Very inconvenient especially when both persons not back and leave the room at the same.

No "the power" shower here, though the same available in other Tune Hotel.

Overall, worth staying though, provided you have own transport.

From
Domestic Traveller

Reviewed October 18, 2010

This hotel is new. As the ad. says, it provides a real comfortable bed and a power shower. Althought room is small, we are okay with it, taking consideration of the little price we paid.
Location is okay for us as we have our own vehicle, it takes about 20km to get to KL city centre. One plus point for drivers is that there are 24 hours security around making parking pretty secure. Both open and underground parking are available free of charge.
There are lots of eatery around the area so food is not a problem.
This is my first experience with tune hotel and it certainly left a very good impression for me.
I would recommend this place to others who owns a vehicle (eg travelling from Singapore)

1  Thank sengkt
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kota Damansara, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

Hi There,

Glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for all your positive comments.

As a limited-service hotel brand we focus on high quality basics, a 5-star bed and hot showers, housed within a clean and secure environment, always located centrally, all at extremely affordable prices.

Thank you for tuning in and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Sharon - Customer Care