“Scrumptious!”

Cuisines: Thai, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

It was my farewell and my colleagues made a good decision bringing me there for dinner as our office is just around the corner.

I would have given them a perfect 5 but decided against it as the service was rather slow despite my colleage having pre ordered our dishes. Also because all its veges came with succulent prawns. Not that its not good( the prawns were extremely fresh), just that with 4 different types of vege that night all topped with prawns, we were all counting our cholesterol level by the end off dinner. Anyway, the owner told us we cud just have veges without any prawns but recommendation came a bit late, after the food was served!

The food is as good and as authentic as any top notch bangkok restaurants. Simply divine. My colleague did get a bit carried away tho' seemed like entire
dishes on the menu were ordered! We had this amazing lobster and pomelo starter, the flavours just burst in your mouth, u feel like crying.

Lets see, we had real fluffy omelette, seafood tom yam - just like the thais did it, sweet and sour garoupa, black and pepper beef, squid in duck egg sauce - this is divine, a must try, green curry chicken, battered prawn - mouthwatering as the batter is crispy and prawn is nicely cooked, then came the veggies with prawns, asparagus in oyster sauce which is really yummmy, paku pakis belacan, long beans and mix veggies. All scrumptiously done!

Then, came the desert, we tried 3 different types - tapioca in syrup - not bad, mango with sticky rice- heavenly and durian ice cream- as i am no fan of durian, i skipped this one but my friends said it was to die for! By then, we were bursting at the seams!

Anyway, it is fine dining thai cos the price tells it all. Decor of the restaurant is charming and just love the fact that they use real celadon pieces as their dining ware and thai crafted silver cutleries.

Love this place and cant believe its tucked in a row of shops. Wouldn't have known it if my friends didnt bring me there.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Food is good, not superlative. Very over priced. Servings are small. For a group of seven diners, you have to order double of every dish, other wise it becomes just a tasting menu.
Location is challenging, especially for non KLites. Service did not match expectations.

5  Thank Jay I
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my first visit to Erawan, and having read many raving reviews about the place, you could say that my expectations were rather high.

The place wasn't hard to find with the help of the GPS, an easy landmark being the Standard Chartered bank. First impressions were good. Much effort was put into the decor of the place and the restaurant was clean. Kudos for that.

As for the food, presentation was good but taste was just average at most. The pomelo salad was rather different and appetising, not something I have seen in other restaurants. The duck red curry we had was mediocre and had more duck skin than meat. It should be called duck skin red curry. Personally, I think that Thai curries should be rich and fragrant, with a gravy that coats the back of a spoon. This dish was not. The crab fried rice was a bit mushy, probably added water when frying the rice (add ice next time instead), or used freshly steamed rice. The tom yam soup was decent, but a tad too spicy. One thing to note is that either prawns were on sale that day, or it was prawn themed that night. Almost every dish had prawns in them! The prawns were fresh and nice but really, it was overkill.

The manager / owner was rather condescending and patronising in more ways than you can imagine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your food, but please don't talk down to your customers, asking them if they know how to eat Thai food. For the record, we do, thank you very much.

I find his constant comparison of the food served to local Malaysian food very unnecessary and pointless. It's like comparing apples and oranges. It just is not logical! Reminding customers in the menu not to request for typical Malaysian sauces and condiments is another testament to the demeaning tone of the restaurant.

The manager/owner seems to think that his restaurant is above in the ranks, making customers pre-order their food over the phone. Perhaps its a marketing plot to make us feel that the food is so exquisite that preparations must be made in advance.

The waiters were not rude, but not very well trained. The place is in itself not very big, so the waiters should be more careful when moving about. I was kicked at and nudged several times without any apology at all.

The food was expensive and in my view, does not commensurate with the quality of the food and service.

Will I return - No.
Should you visit - I think there are better Thai restaurants elsewhere that will cost you much less, like My Elephant.

6  Thank Arthertbc0702
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The few times visited Erawan, it is always fully booked, so don't attempt to go there without any booking. All I can say is that I'm convinced this Chef Khom is a genius cook. The starters are exceptional and their taste are both scintillating and yet so mellow and yummy to the palate. Each dish send the taste buds to ecstatic thrills. The host takes pain to make you welcome, explain each dish and how to eat them. Each visit is an experience that make you long to go back. As it is fine dining, it goes to say nothing's budget here but the experience is well worth it.

2  Thank Andrewng333
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I think some dishes are good and unique but all in all many of dishes are very similar. Generally good food but not cheap. If one likes Thai food then one should try at least once so as to decide whether one wants to come back or not. Bit far away from the city centre.

2  Thank ILoveMakan