“Fantastic and Fabulous”

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Petaling Jaya
vail, co
“Fantastic and Fabulous”
Reviewed August 27, 2007

This resort is a palace/castle/spaceship with fabulous lagoons, beaches and waterslides all around. A massive uncrowded theme park is attached, as well as a large indoor air-conditioned shopping mall. I knew we were in for an other-worldly experience when I started snapping photos from inside the Mercedes Taxi, upon arrival. Our suite was Abu Dabi meets Paris; glamorous red walls, gilt furniture and ballooning fabric-covered ceilings. The staff was meticulous, anticipatory and the executive chef (trained at The Waldorf) visited with us (out of curiosity) mentioning he hadn’t seen a female American in Kuala for nearly five years. Apparently the State Department has lifted a travel advisory, and exotic Kuala is courting our American tourist dollar, which indeed goes verrrrrry far there.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank coloradokate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
USJ
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Stayed for 5 days. Location ok, hotel attach with a huge shopping complex.
at the last day of our stay, I need to get a taxi for my friend from the hotel entrance. the person outside the entrance (car jockey) told us to get the taxi inside the hotel, and not his responsibilities to get a taxi. Since my friend has use her mobile to called the taxi centre, we just wait outside the hotel for the arrival of the taxi. There is a person outside the hotel blocking road and not allow taxi who is call by us to come into the hotel. they told us they have their hotel taxi and airport limosine. If we insist to take our own called taxi, we have to walk outside the hotel compound, which is about 200m away from the entrance. we insist to wait at the entrance of the hotel, the person out there no choice have to release the taxi to come in.
Once my friend left, i complaint to the staff inside. he just push the responsibilities to another person and he just disappear. I was mad cause i just want to let them know the situation earlier. which is bad as i think their people tends to monopolise the taxi service provided.
To me this is not the way to treat a customer at the entrance of a "claim to be 5 star hotel".

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank pet7001
Melbourne
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We absolutely loved the hotel. It has a fantastic entrance and reminded us of Las Vegas. We were greeted by a very friendly man at the door (there are lots of doormen and lots of doors) who got someone to take our luggage and escorted us to reception. Although our booking and room type was not what we requested (we wanted interconnecting but our itinerary stated deluxe which is one room only, due to our travel agent, which also happened at our previous hotel and we are looking into it), they went out of their way to assist us and tried to contact our booking agent, who could not help us due to it being the weekend. This man organized extra beds in our room and looked after us. We ended up in a beautiful room with a queen and 2 single beds. The room, bathroom, view to the pool, was fantastic. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The rooms were spotless. We thought the breakfast buffet was great and had a great variety. The pool area was beautiful. It is definitely a 5 star hotel. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

We had a great time at the waterpark. After going to Surfers Paradise, we felt spoilt with the cheap entrance fee and not having to queue. We actually found Monday to be busier than Sunday. Keep in mind that it is closed Tuesdays. Two days there is probably enough. There are a few fast waterslides and there is a great area for kids. There is one wave pool and an enormous sand/lagoon style pool which are great for relaxing around and they play really good music. There is a separate area for rides which includes a roller coaster and a few other scary ones. Again, no queues. They half checked our bags upon entering the park (we could have easily snuck food in) and we took water which they didn't seem to care about. Food in there is pretty cheap (as is in Malaysia) and not tourist prices.

Adjacent to the hotel is the shopping centre, which has quite a few shops and restaurants.

We had a great time and on our next trip to Asia want to go via KL so we have an excuse to go back to Sunway Lagoon Resort again.

• Liked — Comfortable and a beautiful place.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gksd
Baltimore
Reviewed May 25, 2007

Stayed here on business April 14- April 20, 2007. Arrived after 22 hours of flying. I was quickly and efficiently checked in by the front desk. My room was spacious and adequate with a very nice view of the grounds and swimming pool. The room furnishings could use an upgrade but were OK for my needs. I needed an AC/DC power converter which was quickly sent to my room for use at no charge. My room safe electronics didnt operate properly but they quickly sent a security agent to the room to offer repairs.
The restaurants are all very good. There is a "coffee shop" on the ground floor that is far more than a coffeee shop and has an excellent breakfast buffet for $11 USD and incrdible french pastries. The Italian "Steakhouse" off the main lobby is pricey but has excellent italian food, superb steaks, gourmet thin crust pizza and singing waiters. A strange offering but it works. The Chinese restaurant off the main lobby is awesome in both choice, taste and value. My room was only $100 USD per night.
I would definitely return.

Stayed April 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Was booked into this hotel for two weeks on a business trip.

After 14 hours on a plane from the UK, and an hour in a taxi, I arrived at the hotel to be told that they did have a record of my booking but that the hotel was full!... What?!!!

I had a confirmed booking stating exactly what type of room I had and at what rate. The booking was made via a well-known travel website. When I asked the receptionist what on earth was going on, she told me that they did not honour any bookings made through any website other than their own!.. What?!!!

They then stated that they had room in their 'sister hotel', the Pyramid Tower, and I reluctantly agreed to be put there. The facilities were little better than a functional travel lodge.

Having looked forward to staying at this hotel for months, and looking at all that is promised by their website. It goes without saying that I was incredibly disappointed. I went to use the hotel bar a couple of times, but was treated like an outcast when I said I was staying at the 'other hotel'. I didnt get use of the pool or any of the splendid facilities promised by the website.

A very senior colleague arrived the same night and he was also 'bumped' to the inferior hotel. He told me that it was the second time that this has happened to him. and it has happened to others from our company. This is pretty poor business practice from Sunway, being that we represented a large international oil company currently investing heavily in the area.

Apparently the Sunway Lagoon has a habit of taking bookings at the plush hotel and then sending people to the underbooked basic hotel.

Diabolical ! There are much better hotels in central Kuala Lumpur - Why bother with this place.

• Liked — Nothing. I never received the accommodation I booked.
  • Disliked — They take bookings at the plush hotel and palm people off to their basic hotel.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
13 Thank WorldBreeze
melbourne,
Reviewed January 14, 2007

My husband and I, and our two children aged 4 and 7 stayed at Sunway Lagoon hotel for six nights, we were very disappointed. Dont look at the brochures or their web page is so not correct.
Firstly, When we checked in we arrived at 3pm and our room still wasn't ready. Had to wait till 5pm.
Staff are extremely rude. My little boy needed to use the toilet and i had to ask 3 people for directions.
The rooms are standard, but are not cleaned properly.
Dont leave any valuables in room, and when you go out, put do not disturb on door, as they wander in
I walked in on a maid using MY LIPSTICK, complained but nothing was done
Breakfast is average, cereal bowels are tiny
There are a lot of people from Saudi Arabia, rude, and the women are dressed all in black, only there eyes are showing
They were using the pool with all there religious gear on, no bathers Disgusting.
The pool, is dirty, and has no baby /kids pool
DO NOT GO TO THE THEME PARK HERE ITS VERY DIRTY, AND THERE IS RUST EVERYWHERE.- NOT SAFE
There are people that go to the theme park specifically to pick pocket or go through your things while you are swimming
very experienced, it happened to six families while we were there
Dont eat at the hotel, go out as the hotel is very expensive

Take my advise i go on two holidays per year, i visit deifferent countries, cities.
This would be the worst hotel have ever stayed at.
Dont waste your money.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — service, staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in KL where all the action is
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank Melbfemale
Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel
Hilton Petaling Jaya Hotel
#2 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
Resort Suites Hotel at Bandar Sunway
Resort Suites Hotel at Bandar Su...
#33 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
One World Hotel
One World Hotel
#3 of 45 in Petaling Jaya
Sunway Putra Hotel
Sunway Putra Hotel
#32 of 346 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!