“KL's hidden jewel”

FRIM -Forest Research Institute of Malaysia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife on the nature trails. Then enjoy a bird's-eye-view of the trees by crossing the Canopy Walkway. This unique conservation facility is located 20 kilometers from Kuala Lumpur.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our family took a trip to the FRIM to escape the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur city and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
We decided to catch a train to Kepong Central Station and then took a Taxi to the FRIM.

The centre is well set up with excellent signage throughout and well laid out trails. The canopy walk was certainly the highlight with magnificent views of the forest canopy and floor as well as views right back into the centre of Kuala Lumpur. The canopy walk costs a small additional price to the entry fee but is certainly worth it. Tickets for the canopy walk must be purchased at the visitor information centre prior to making your way to the start of the canopy walk.
Both of our children managed the walk with ease with our youngest being 5 years old (he led the way down the hill). After we completed the canopy walk we decided to take the short but steep track down to the picnic area. The track was great fun with lots of stream jumping and the occassional small waterfall but certainly nothing too dangerous if you take your time.

A couple of small Cafe's are located near the picnic area and these sell cold drinks, iceblocks as well as a nice little selection of local food. We had some of the local food here and it was actually some of the best that we ate on our trip. The prices were also very reasonable.
There is plenty to explore within the grounds and we only wish we had allowed more time to see more of the facility.

A great day out and a wonderful way to get a taste of Malaysia's rainforests.

5  Thank Rod D

Reviewed February 3, 2013

took a 20-min taxi ride from the city. taxi driver haggled for a price but we agreed to just add 5MYR to the meter total which is a good deal for both of us. anyway, he dropped me off the visitor info center, grabbed a map and bought a ticket for the canopy walk. the reception was very helpful and the map was very readable so off i go. an hour after i reached the canopy walk. scary at first because it was narrow and shaky but after a few steps you'll get comfortable walking on it. took a water break at the waterfall and took a long trail back at the cafeteria in where i took my lunch. roam around a little and walk off some random trail i stumble upon and then went back. i saw a number of squirrels along, a couple of wonderfully colored birds and monkey-eating-trash in the cafe. all-in-all, i have seen better but if your in the area and you want to exercise, have time to spare and some taxi money (better if you have a car) then it is a great place few km away from the city. a good break, simple trek.

3  Thank reddefinition
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I visited the Forest Research Institute of Malaysia (FRIM) for a rainforest trek and forest canopy walk in December 2012. The trek, led by our personable and excellent guide, Yan, started with a visit to the rainforest museum on the grounds of the Institute. Who knew that the different kinds of wood, forest products and insects indigenous to the Malaysian rainforest could be so interesting? But they were! Then Yan led us through the rainforest and up the mountain. This is a tourist attraction, but it is not for the fainthearted or physically unfit. The climb up (and down) the mountain, in the heat and humidity, was strenuous, and the path at times was a little difficult because of slippery rocks or the degree of slope. We finally reached the place for the forest canopy walk, an Indiana Jones-type rope bridge on a narrow plank strung through the tree tops 30 meters above the ground. If you don't like heights, do it anyway. If you HATE heights, don't do it! The bridge is well constructed and obviously safe, but it does sway a bit and it's easy to lose your sense of distance, but if you can tolerate the idea of nothing between you and the ground 30 meters below but rope and netting, it is worth the sweat and effort. At one point on the canopy walk, you can see clearly the skyline of KL some 50 miles away. It is an awesome sight. I'm glad I took the canopy walk. I will never do it again, but I will return to Malaysia. It is a lovely country.

5  Thank Mkblev
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I went there for a walk in the forest where I can brearh in the fresh air & be away from heavy traffic & the crowds. I went on a week day so it was quiet - a perfect day if you wanted to watch birds. I went with my cousin who is a keen bird watcher & photographer & he managed to get a few satisfactory photos of birds. I had a good walk right up to the canopy. It's good if I can go more often - its just that I stay a distance away from FRIM.

1  Thank Doreenday
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The park is nice and quiet with plenty to see and provides a nice break fro the city. The canopy walk is also great and provides great views even on the overcast day we visited. make sure you take a small taxi though as we accidentally took a 'large' one on the metre still but it cost us double! definitely worth the trip though.

1  Thank Travelsuk1