“5 Star Rate-Worst Than 3Star Service”

Damai Puri Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Kuching, Sarawak
“5 Star Rate-Worst Than 3Star Service”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Our 3 days stay at the hotel marked our 2nd year reunion with our friends from Canada and Johore Baru. It was their first visit to our beautiful Land Of The Hornbill,which we checked in the moment all arrived on 9th Oct 09. We were so proud they agreed on this venue for our reunion. Needless to say, we as the host looked forward to show off our homeland to our friends.
How dissapointed we were when we checked into the hotel to discover the poor condition of the rooms, which were not clean, worst of all when we decided on a swim at the pool. The water in the pool is dirty and we feel sticky within minutes in the water and the floor in the pool is slippery due to the fungue on the bottom of the pool. It took us seconds to get out of the pool. We made a complaint to the pool attendants, all they did was keeping mum about it. Hope the hotel operators understand that guest can file a complaint to the health ministry about the poor water conditon in the swimming pool.
Disgusting!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sabah
Reviewed August 12, 2009

ROOM: Wet & sticky floor, stuffy room, small washroom, no bathtub, cheap shampoo, fuse & lift not functioning well.
SERVICE: The waiter/waitress not applicable for the job. they can't even speak fluently in MALAY; although english??
So, think twice before you decide to come. unworth to spend your money.

• Stayed August 2009

Travelers are raving about these Kuching hotels

Singapore
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The location is nice - and there it ends.. do not have any other nice things to say. The rooms are a bit tired, bathroom small and not up to standard for the rate they charge. The poolbar was out of stock of everything everyday.. first try and find some one to take your order (staff very unvisible), and then you would think that if you ordered a diet coke on day 1 they would have it by day 2 - but no, up to day 4 no diet coke was availabe. So we had to drink sparkiling water (they did not have ANY other fizzy drinks) at 8 Ringgit a bottle (same water bought at the adjacent golf club for 2.60 Ringgit!!). Food: menu is very limited but OK - however do not expect your order to arrive within any reasonable time frame! We only stayed 3 nights but were tired of the menu already. Do not order wine unless you are prepared to wait for 1 hour, and have to send 3 bottles back. We ordered WHITE and they brought RED wine; then they managed to bring a bottle twice as expensive and then ... ah we just ordered something else. The staff are just not educated, they are not equipped for the job. No shade at Kiddiepool (what? are we expected to put our kids in blazing sun all day?) no shade to be found on the beach either. Only the adult pool had some shade but there the daybeds were old and sagged. Spa area looked ok but very expensive (a simple pedicure was charged 180 ringgit!). No management to be found on location either - who is controling this place? Dirty plates from room service left on the floor for rodents to feast on it, housekeeping forgot to bring fresh towels, baby cot ordered in advance took 2,5 hrs to be brought to room (and yes by then the baby was not so happy anymore) - the list is endless!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We booked this hotel for our company’s silver jubilee and annual dinner early August. Overall, we had about 200 staffs coming for this celebration. Upon arrival, check-in was very slow (only 1 staff to handle 200 guests?!) and some of the rooms were not even prepared yet.

My room was at the top floor with sea view which is the one and only positive points! Bathroom and bedroom floors were hastily mopped thus making it too sticky walk on bare foot…our iron request from housekeeping fell on deaf ears…few hours later, they had the cheek to ask when can we return it?!

Service at the restaurant was worst! Service was very slow although only about 30% of the tables were occupied. In the end, some of us just had to cancel our orders. Waiters are no help at all…could barely speak proper Malay/English…all they did was refill your glass with ice water.

The food served during the annual dinner was also a letdown. Our organizing committee had specifically requested two months earlier for several traditional dishes to be served which they didn’t and were also slow to refill the buffet table…

Overall I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009
Kuching
Reviewed August 2, 2009

My friends and I spent a weekend there in July and were totally disappointed and frustrated with the service given by this so-called premier resort.

There weren't any bathmats, facial tissues,stationary (not that we needed any pens/papers but these are the basic things which are usually provided by a premier resort). On top of that, the lever for the faucet in the washroom was missing and the tv as well as the phone lines were not working. The floor was dusty and sadly, there was mould/water stains on the walls. Breakfast was terrible!

I recently received a letter of apology from the hotel and sadly, the letter was far less apologetic and totally ridiculous. I was told that as the booking was done locally, I was automatically allocated two rooms (as we booked for 2 rooms) in the ocean wing and not the spa wing as the spa wing is for oversea bookings and the guests in the spa wing would be able to enjoy a full range of the resort's room amenities whereas those in the ocean wing would only get the essential room amenities. Tell me, would this be acceptable in this twenty first century? It is crystal clear from the letter, that the hotel practises double standards, especially towards the local citizens and as such, I would assume that we, being locals are treated as second class citizens in the resort!

Bear in mind that the rate in this resort would start at MYR400++(this is for a standard deluxe room).You would be better off to stay in Damai Beach Resort which is just next door.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank madzl81
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 13, 2009

As a frequent traveller, I've experienced the highs and lows of hotel stays. Damai Puri, by far, was the lowest. We booked a year ago but when we arrived, the room smelled of construction (yes, construction). The walls were stained, there was mould on the beds and my list goes on. In fact, I'm in the process of forwarding the problems to the tourism ministry and the newspapers as I write this. When we asked housekeeping why the room had not been equipped accordingly, they said, "We were told you were Indians." So, not only were we fleeced for RM700 each, service was allocated based on race. There were 2 vegetarians (we had indicated this on day 1), yet the buffet lacked vegetarian fare throughout and we had to order ala carte - which left us with one pasta dish and some other option. No attempt was made to inquire if our dining needs were met. I have a huge list of things that just was not right with its claim of being 5 star. Not once did management contact us about our complaints - neither did we see anyone of the kind throughout our stay. When asked to speak to someone in charge, we were told that they were busy. Yes, they were busy. I have had the great luxury of doing 5-star Bali of late and believe me, Malaysian Hotels have a lot to work on in terms of service. On my first day at Novotel Nusa Dua, I mentioned that I was vegetarian. Almost every other night, I was approached by someone with information on a restaurant that catered to my needs. Malaysian Hospitality on exists if you're white or carry some form of branded accessory. It's a sad Malaysian practice that has existed for the longest time. 1Malaysia? Hah! Good luck with that, Malaysia.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gulabjammin
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Just got back froim Rainforest Wrld Music Festival and stayed at Damai Puri. Will never go back again, will never recommend to any friend and seriously don't advise anyone to go. Damai Beach is a much better choice - better service and more affordable. For RM676/nite, definitely nto worth the money. I paid more for a sea view room with king-sized bed. Stayed for 5 days and the only thing that was consistent was bad service. Conceirge took 40 minuted and 2 chase-calls (reception told me they only had 1 staff - totally not acceptable excuse for a 5-star hotel). Room was poorly furnished, there was no bathtub, only a cheap shower area without to door to keep the bathroom dry. WC was wobbly. Hotel only provides 1 face & 1 hand towel for 2 person staying in the room. There were ants crawling all over the room. Personal safe in the room was not working. Staff could not understand English. Took a nap, but staff rang the doorbell 2 times within 1 hr to give us dining instruction sheet and H1N1 alerts (info that could have been easily slipped under the door without waking guests) Sound-proofing of rooms were bad. I could hear the giggling women next door and the an irritating kind running all over in the room abv us; we could not sleep. Requested for room change on the 2nd day at 9am (there was but reception staff [--] me to say that guests for all other rooms were checking in at 10am; I persisted and finally they change me to another room, but my bed was just queen-size. Room housekeeping was bad - toilet stunk despite daily cleaning, flr was clean with wet mop and staff didn't bother to dry the flrs b4 they leave, almost skidded on the flr when we got back to the room. Instructions were bad - reception gave us a listing where we could order ala-carte for dinner; when we got to the restaurant, waiter said ala-carte was served elsewhere. Breakfast speard was bad - 3-star hotel standard. Service was inconsistent - one day, a waiter tells me that cuppacinno is available upon request; another day waiter tells me I need to pay for my cuppa. Serving plates were dirty, there was still food stuck to them (i return 3 dirty plates to the waiters). Pool water was dirty; I saw pool attendants just threw in scoops olf chlorine into the pool. Bar fridge in the room was empty when we checked in, staff filled them in only on the 3rd day. Spa charges were exhorbitant, but look unpromising.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple