A great, sprawling resort in an idyllic setting but with some facilities closed and others run by poorly trained staff.
It is quite a spectacular resort, largely open-planned with its own private, pristine beach and big swimming pool.
The surrounding area is largely forest. There are good nature walks and Irrawaddy Dolphin spotting but you need to go further afield for the latter.
Just outside the resort is the Sarawak Cultural Village which is definitely worth a visit.
The rooms are comfortable and well maintained with good air-conditioning. The bathrooms are clean.
The Gecko bar is well stocked but the staff response is abysmal! The other bar seemed to be closed all the time which was not surprising because there were hardly any guests at the time I stayed there. The in-house convenience store is poorly stocked and is often closed. The souvenir shop is basic but expensive with disinterested staff.
The only saving grace was the restaurant. The food was great and the chefs seem to know what they were doing but the same could not be said of the other staff who were only interested in keeping a tab of the bills.
Ask for a beer and it takes ages to arrive because it has to be fetched from the Gecko Bar!
The buffet style breakfast was good with freshly prepared eggs of your choice.
Just outside is the Damai Central with a well-stocked 7-11, ATMs and if you like to eat outside the resort, there are a lot of food outlets here. There is also The Escobar which is much more friendly than the in-house bar and you get the same view of the sea!
As I said before, the staff are the main problem. On my last day I asked for a wake-up call since I had to go to the airport. It never arrived! Then I went to settle my bill and the receptionist had got it wrong and the manager had to be woken up at 6 am. Fortunately, they had remembered to order a taxi for me!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fronting Damai Beach at the foot of Mount Santubong in Kuching, Malaysia, Damai Puri Resort & Spa spans 207 elegant guestrooms, and boasts a Spa Village, 600-capacity ballroom, exhaustive recreation facilities, and 2 restaurants and 3 bars. It also hosts numerous activities for kids, couples, leisure travelers, and big groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Damai Puri Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Damai Puri Hotel Kuching
- Damai Puri Resort And Spa
- Damai Puri Resort & Spa Kuching, Sarawak