“Horrendous”

Damai Puri Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Before I start I must begin by saying that we were meant to stay 8 nights and barely lasted a night and if I could score lower then I would.

We arrived and the foyer and lobby area looked clean and nice and we though we were onto a good little hotel. The check in was fast and we were in our room in 10 minutes. We unlocked the door to find 2 single beds, a simple mistake and so we went back to the desk and asked for a king size bed, as per our booking, which was done and again we went to our new room.

Once there, we arrived to see a room with sand all over the floor, dead and live bugs in and around all the fittings and damp areas (which were plenty). On our passing inspection of the room we then found 2 crushed up beer cans in a draw, stains on ALL sheets and towels, a hole in 1 pillow cover, the TV had no reception, there was paint on the mirror and the TV as they couldn't be bothered taking them off the wall to get the proper job done and so they just painted over the edges of these, 1 light didn't work and inside the faulty light was a graveyard of dead insects encrusted onto the inside of the cover... and it goes on...The phone was not connected and so we couldn't call the front desk or anyone else, we didn't have any shower amentities and while speaking of the bathroom, our shower flooded the entire bathroom after 3 minutes as the drain was blocked and so we were ankle deep in water while drying off, the toilet didn't flush properly and once it did it continued to flush for about 2 minutes and lastly I had to take a run up to open the door twice as it was stuck after being unlocked.

Thinking this must be a mistake we again went back to the counter to ask for a new room and we were happy to pay for an upgrade only to be told that this wasn't possible. When I asked why I was simply told there are no more options for us not new room or upgrade was possible.

We decided to make the best of this and went down to the pool area where things were equally in poor condition.

The seats were broken as were the tiles in and around the pool and the pool ladder was busted as well. The cover for the filter of the pool was a pallett covered with more broken wood, and there was mould on the infinity pool edges as well as a small jungle of leaves that looked to be there a very long time as they were decomposing by this point. As I was sitting on my seat looking at a fantastic view of the South China Sea I was bitten by a small group of red fire ants, this was unlucky, and as I walked to the pool to help put the swelling down I noticed the ants were all over the ground and it was like walking through a landmine field to get to the water. Once in the water I then proceeded to step on broken glass in the pool that I had to pull out, that was when I gave and decided we had to leave.

We went back to the room to book other accommodation in Kucking but, alas, there was no internet in the room, this was only in the lobby and it was poor to say the least but after 20 minutes of drop outs we got the job done.

We then decided to watch amazing sunset on the South China Sea from the beach which was simply outstanding and the sole highlight of our 1 night stay, then walking back to our room saw more disrepute of the hotel with mould and sludge on the hotel walls from drain pipes, broken walkways, more fire ants, and a creek that was full of garbage, we decied to have dinner elsewhere. This was a good thing as the restaurants here were empty or closed (considering we were not able to get another room this seemed odd) and so went down the road to eat.

The next morning we woke to check out ASAP and then asked for a refund for the remaining 7 nights stay, this was granted after an hour of arguing with 3 managers and we were told that it would be back on my card in 10 business days. This took over a month.

In closing on my worst review of anything in the travel industry world I would suggest avoiding this under all circumstances unless paying for a "4 star" hotel that is of hostel quality is your thing then this place is for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank H0bbits_travels

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The location itself is pretty nice, however, the hotel is extremely sub-standard. They mixed our room and eventually gave us the room, opposite what we'd reserved. Instead of a sea-view double room, we were given a twin room facing the rocks of the mountain. On top of that they charged us double on our credit card. I only found out after receiving my credit card statement, and when called them to enquire, I was told, they'd learned about this. They hadn't bothered to call me. We asked for a wake-up call on the day of our departure, and asked for taxi a day in advance. They never gave us the wake-up call or called a cab, saying they'd forgotten to. Eventually they got one of their staff to drive us to the airport and charged us $40.
The hotel itself is pretty run-down and it's not maintained properly. House keepers never cleaned the room or bathroom properly or replaced the bottles of water. All in all, if you are planning to enjoy your vacation in a quiet nice place, I wouldn't recommend it, as their poor service might ruin your vacation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank amoratrip
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I can't begin to tell you how wonderful our stay was. The grounds are beautiful and well as the pool. We enjoyed the wonderful staff and never had an issue. They were very kind and accomidating. The rooms are very basic but clean. We enjoyed being able to walk and visit neighboring resorts and the Sarawak Cultural Village which is a must if you choose to stay in this area. Please don't let any of the bad reviews scare you away from this beautiful place. It's a place that is truly memorable and will always hold a special place in my heart. And his :)

1  Thank Linawow
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel was one of the nicest places I stayed in East Malaysia. The beach is clean and beautiful, the pool enormous. Other reviews have mentioned that the rooms were not clean, but I found the opposite to be the case: my room was spotless throughout my stay. The large grounds and hallways were also unusually spiffy. The only downside was that the resort seemed under-occupied, so only one of the restaurants was open. The food, especially breakfast, was decent, plentiful, and not too expensive (for hotel food). Overall, I feel like I got an amazing deal, and would definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Candyst
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The setting is beautiful - unfortunately the same cannot be said for the hotel. They need a major overhaul or to rip it down completely and start again. The rooms were terrible and very dirty - we requested to be moved to another room which they happily obliged with, almost as though they knew the request was coming (they must get it all the time) - unfortunately the room was only slightly better. We cut our stay short the next morning after a rubbish nights sleep and thankfully the hotel agreed to refund us the balance of our pre paid stay - we originally planned to stay 3 nights. Again I can only assume they must get these complaints all the time. Staff were generally useless and rude, except for the GM who was very pleasant and did the right thing to refund our money. It is such a shame about this hotel as the setting is truly spectacular.

Room Tip: tip for a good room? select one from a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tainui
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed 12 months again and returned for 6 days to be totally disappointed. Upon arriving we were upgraded to a seaview room which we thought would be good. Big mistake! After arriving around 9pm and thought we would order room service, the phone didn't work. My husband had to walk all the way to reception to order. The shutter on the window didn't close properly so lack of privacy. The freezer was completely iced over in the fridge. The door handle in the shower was on the floor and when having a shower the floor flooded into the passageway. When my husband flushed the toilet the button come off in his hand and fell into the flushing toilet. Room service arrived with no cutlery and cold food. The next day we were moved to another room but the mood was spoilt by the previous night. We complained to the manager and were not offered a free drink or apology. We paid top dollar for this room and spent the night very upset. There was no information in the room regarding the hotel facilities, no tour desk, not even a map of Kuching at reception. Rules about bringing in outside food and drinks, corkage fees. Breakfast buffet very ordinary. The gift shop shut. Everything is locked up and you have to go to reception for everything. This is not a 4 half star hotel and very overpriced. My husband wanted to go diving with Aquabase and had to wait 3 days until they had other divers to join him. The diving is very expensive with old equipment and air tanks only 70% full. The hotel next door offers tours and has water sports and an excellent restaurant. It was full of guests from the Damai Puri!!

Room Tip: Stay next door not at the Dami Puri.
1  Thank VICKI B
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stay away from this property. Lousy service despite promising location. Won't come back for sure ! Requested for at least queen size or king size bed but was thrown to two single size beds situated far away from the reception. It is not full but was made to wait an hour plus before checking in. Did I mention the price? Over priced!!!

1  Thank NickChia329