“Quick getaway before returning home”

Damai Puri Resort & Spa
Ranked #49 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Quick getaway before returning home”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The trip back home was purposely booked 1 day earlier to surprise my husband as our 2nd wedding anniversary present. We arrived at Damai Puri at 11:30 am, although I did specify that we might check in early, our room wasn't ready. No worries, we were recommended to have an early lunch by the manager there, so we went downstairs to Elements. The restaurant was empty, we had the big space all to ourselves. After settling down at our table, hubby pointed out the cutlery on our table was not thoroughly clean, and 1 of the knives had a rusty spot. Immediately called our waiter to change the sets. Furniture used looks tired and outdated (or do they want to bring a "rustic" look to the restaurant, i don't know) but clean. We had a very nice medium-sized home made pizza. The waiter was friendly but a little absent-minded; asked for iced water, he came back with 2 glasses of plain water with a bowl of ice??

Went upstairs after we had our lunch to check in. Staff was friendly and helpful, we were initially given the ground floor pool view room, but they agreed when we requested for a higher floor. View was spectacular, room was adequate but our floor was not properly cleaned as it felt sticky.

Went for a walk at the beach in the evening, I love Permai beach and have went to countless picnics next door (Kem Permai's jungle pool) and the infinity pool was a genius addition to the already gorgeous private stretch. Stayed outside to watch the sunset before returning to our room. Surprised my hubby to a balcony dining (booked in advance), the team came to set up our table at our balcony. The portion was HUGE, and delicious...we had to take a break after we were done with our appetizers and entrees! All the dishes were put in a heater, in our case the heater just acted as a storing place for our dishes since there were no extra electrical plugs to plug in, but no worries it stayed warm enough throughout dinner.

Breakfast the next day was at Elements, a fairly range of selections but all the food was not hot! I hate cold beans....I think I wasted so much food during breakfast, leaving a plate after another unfinished.

Check out was quick and easy, they do provide transportation to and from Kch for RM12 per pax. We requested to be dropped off just before Kch to meet up with my sister. Overall, a very nice place, gorgeous view, friendly and quick service, but still has room for improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank illeuzaini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Goolwa, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Wonderful pool, the largest I have seen. Staff were exceptional always smiling and helpful. The restaurant meals were excellent with lots of choices. The on site dive centre was perfect for my husband who went diving several times with Eng. The room was large with ocean views. Sheldon at breakfast was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VICKI B
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

I stay here for three night at deluxe room with nice seaview from my room.they have a great friendly and helpfully staff that well organized.however the night that euro game between England and france happen,I couldn't not watch the game from the room as the morning manager already promised me that everything is gonna be that night.both manager can't give an answers and solution due my problem.i have to keep standing at the counter only just to get answers from the manager and director from phone call.the director name zain are very rude and not professional in way to settle te problem.luckly the to reception staff manage to calm me down and help me to find a way that I can watch the game at middle of the night.from the hotel to city already take half an hour,that mean I will missed the show.im so surprised that the night manager show me the game from their computer and let me sit infront of the reception counter while their doing their on job.that is truly professional hotel service I think.he also inform me that only that he can do around that time due the game is already on.great job.two of them able to make me happy that early morning.will come back to this hotel soon.staff name mention is Saini & alimin.should have more staff like this onward.fast thinking and creative.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Amenlondon
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed 5 nights end of May - upgraded to a larger room - space was wonderful but air con struggled to cool as no balcony or opening windows - a room fan would have helped. Fantastic beach view and extremely quiet other guest wise until the weekend when local Malaysians came for a conference but really still was quiet Usually a maximum of 10 patrons at any one time in the restaurants. Nicely maintained but for the equatorial regions the gardens very plain compared to Penang last year. Breakfat was good as per usual hotel buffet and lukewarm bain marie food - Tried Ku one night - nice presentations - rest of time ate at Elements - the main dining area - averagefood but cheap. Pool area stunning and uncrowded. Overall nice and good value and if you want a rest the place to go - other than Sarawak Cultural Village 150m down the road and Damai Central opposite with a few hawser food stalls nothing else there so a forced rest.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank chombard1
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Our trip to Kuching was an impromptu one as I planned a surprise birthday trip for the hubbs just 5 days before flying! When we arrived,we were warmly welcomed by the courteous receptionist and a beautiful lobby! As we arrived in KCH quite early (10AM) and went straight to DPResort,it was only 11.20 when we reached there.I was told that checkin was at 3PM.However,seeing that I was with a big,8mths preggo tummy, they quickly checked for an available room and allowed us to check in on the spot!That was a great gesture as I was feeling very weary. The room was on the ground floor, with an amazing view of the infinity pool looking out to the sea and Santubong hill.Our room was nicely and tastefully decorated, with all modern amenities and a flat screen TV, snuggly bed and there was a day bed by the window,too.We noticed that the room was not thoroughly clean, as we spotted spiderwebs at a few corners and dirt on window sill.The balcony was a bit dirty with lizard droppings and the room floor was sandy.Housekeeping standard is Something for the management to look into.
Having said that, we had a truly relaxing time lazing by the pool and took advantage of the amazing scenery to do our DIY maternity photoshoot at the clean,white sandy beach.Breakfast buffet was okay, a mix of local and continental offerings.We had our bf alfresco at Ku Restaurant, which was gorgeous but didnt seem to be utilised that much.I liked the fried vermicilli a lot.There didnt seem to be many guests at the resort as it is understood that it was a weekday and happened to be low season. Great for us as this was exactly what we needed! Dinner was just okay- we ordered salad, s/food chowder and salmon fried rice and.we had the entire restaurant to ourselves so service was quick.We chilled out for some drinks and karaoke at the bar before resting for the night. We requested for late check out the next day and spent more time by the pool/sea and nearly decided to extend our stay because the weather/scenery was just great!
All in all, we had a lovely time at Damai Puri. Staff were friendly, accommodating and never short of smiles :) I hope that the management puts more care into maintaining the premises and improving the housekeeping standard. I would love to return to this resort again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left wing as the right wing fronts the kiddies pool so it might be noisy. Shut...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa Sabrina A
malaysia
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in the beginning of March 2012 and overall, this is a nice hotel with an excellent proximity to the beach if what you are looking for is a quiet and peaceful retreat. It is situate quite far from Kuching City though and you will definitely need transportation to get to the city (around 30-45 mins away). Went with the family and took 2 rooms, we were initially given rooms which the air conds and water heaters did not work and when we alerted the reception the repairmen took ages to come and when they did, they took even longer to diagnose that the problem could not be fixed then and there and that we had to change rooms. Imagine all the repacking we had to do to move rooms the same evening we got there! And they did not even have the courtesy to offer us room upgrades for this huge inconvenience. We were expecting more from a hotel of this rating, however we were disappointed. The breakfast range was poor and the only nice thing was the fresh 'teh tarik' (tea). The staff at the reception could not even guide us to places around Kuching when we asked them for directions. I would only recommend this hotel for visitors who are looking for a quiet serene retreat and not planning on sightseeing Kuching.

Room Tip: Try getting rooms which have a view of the sea, they have a nice gentle breeze
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sherazz
Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We recently stayed at this lovely resort whilst visiting our friends in Malaysia, we had a fabulous time the staff are all charming and friendly, the food was excellent and the rooms were cool, clean and very comfortable. We had a first floor room over looking the pool and the ocean....Gorgeous.
This is a great place to relax and chillout also it has the added bonus of the beautiful rainforest and it's trails should you feel in the need of a little exercise and adventure. We had four fabulous nights here with great friends and loved every minute, we spent a couple of evenings in the Karaoke bar drinking Long Island ice-tea's and playing pool and also visited the centre across the road where we found the food court and Tia's fantastic Laksa (thanks to a tip from a previous visitor on Trip advisor).
Arthur at the poolside bar is a wonderful host at Tiger-time (Happy hour 4-6) and he has good taste in music too.
We will definately be visiting again as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Upper levels for fantastic views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends