“GREAT NIGHT AT THIS LODGE!!!”

Pinnacles Kuching Lodge
Ranked #39 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Kuching
New York City, New York
“GREAT NIGHT AT THIS LODGE!!!”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Last month, me and my friends had a trip to Kuching, Sarawak. We decided not o book a hotel. So we placed our reservations at this lodge. On this website, we saw their page, their photos of the hotel was very calm and bright. As soon as we reached the lodge, the photos and the real appearence of the hotel was the same. It was bright and the environment is very friendly. the staff was very very very friendly. We spent 3 nights there and it was amazing! You do not need to worry about food, they're just a opposite the lodge oh and seafood, its a few blocks away from the lodge. There's even a 24 hours mini shop where you can find a lot of things. We went out for a tour most of the time. Lovely lodge, the price is reasonable too!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Freja G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I'm a female budget travelers, I have been traveling for months alone. One thing per sure I'm always concerned about my safety in any place that I'm going to stay. My safety always come first and seconded will be value for money. Location!! yes this place is really located at the center of the town. Regrettably for my short stayed here. Working staff was very helpful. Sarawak was awesome. Kuching city(meaning cat's city) is a wonderful place to visit. The city have a beautiful long waterfront. I would like to thanks my friend Jenny for recommended me to stay in this place, Once again I would like to thanks all the working staff for making my stay memorable.

Room Tip: this place is good for family, couples and single travelers.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank hazel1967
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed March 19, 2012

its nice to stay for a couples of day..seems it is in town..stay in & have a good nite sleep..the next morning goin out & seeking for traditional sarawakian food..the decor is really looking as a sarawakian culture..the wooden part especially..very nice cosy place to stay...truly a sarawakian..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank bahthiar
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Great budget place.Free breakfast (toast and coffee/tea)included.
Clean room & bathroom.Free Wi fi also.Friendly staff

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nazbird
NYC
Reviewed March 13, 2012

The hotel entrance is on the second floor and the only way to get to it is through outside staircase. It's pouring outside the day we arrived, needless to said we were soak and almost tripping down the wet slippery staircase. This is a non servicing hotel, there are no soap in the bathroom and no water pressure, good thing we were there for overnight stay only. During the early morning hour when I try to go down stair to 7 eleven for some water the entrance door is lock with no light or anybody around to help me get out. I have to wait for few hour until the sunrise when somebody shows up. To top it off the hotel rates are not that cheap either.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank touristnyc
Silkiest, Manager at Pinnacles Kuching Lodge, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Touristnyc,

We value and take note of each and every review that our guest's have made. Whatever positive reviews we receive serve to make us work harder and negative reviews are a good way for us to see which area's we need to improve in. We would have been more that happy to greet you ( we make note that you travelled alone unlike the given impression as you used the word "we") with an umbrella on that rainy day. It would have been easy enough to inform us of your difficulties in handling a very short distance in the rain from the vehicle to the front entrance via your mobile. We can safely assume that this would have been easy enough as your recorded personal particulars prove that you are a local citizen and not as what seems to imply with your tripadvisor profile.

We would like to apologize on your 'almost tripping down the wet slippery staircase' but rather advise that you be careful in watching your step on each and every wet surface you encounter. You mention of "no soap in the bathroom and no water pressure '' is simply a blatant lie as each and every room is always checks in and water pressure is at a premium as we are only serviced by the city mains but also by our back up water tanks.

Our night manager does not recollect ever having encountered you (or anyone) at an 'early morning hour trying to go down stair to 7 eleven for some water and the entrance door is locked with no light or anybody around to help you get out'?

Last but not least we would like to say Thank You for your generous sister who booked and paid via bank transfer for your night's stay with us. We urge that you take up the matter with her if you found the stay with us not value for money.

Travelers are raving about these Kuching hotels

selangor
Reviewed February 8, 2012

in the website, it showed top notch rooms but i was disappointed when arriving to the place.
the prices are okay, i'll give it that but the rooms were not as expected. My friends and i were genuinely upset. and worse still, there was no one else staying there!

I felt cheated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank sabahrefugi
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I was sent the hotel's link by one of my colleagues, and viewed their slick-looking website. I checked TA, and was doubtful because the last review was in March 2009. But the website mentioned a new makeover (21 Jan 2010) and the pictures looked really good. The Private Family Deluxe advertised on their site was rated RM135 or USD45, which I thought was pretty reasonable for such a nice looking place.

Boy was I wrong! I thought I was in the wrong hotel to begin with - the corridors smelt musty, the carpets were stained, the reception area was not as bright as in the pictures, the double doors leading to the enclosed 'balcony' in our room couldn't close, the chair in the balcony didn't have a back part to rest on. I asked about their supposedly new makeover, and the lady said she just joined the hotel so knew nothing about it.

I think what I was most disappointed about was the misleading website they had. If they had been honest up front, we wouldn't have been disheartened to see the real conditions. I have stayed in the most basic of accommodations before but then I knew what to expect. We looked around, but unfortunately, the ones that got good TA reviews didn't have enough rooms for our group.

If you are not expecting much and are out of the hotel sightseeing most parts of the day, the Pinnacle Lodge is an okay place to stay. The bathrooms are medium-sized, the showers are so-so hot, the street noise level at night is acceptable (at the top of a road junction), there's a 7-11 below on the ground floor. Surprisingly, we had to pay for Internet wifi, which is usually given free at budget places. So what we did was to walk down to the nearest pub for free wifi, and a pint.

The hotel staff warned me to watch my bag when I ventured out after midnight. The streets are quiet except for the Piccadilly disco & pub a block away, and another pub opposite the Hilton.

Breakfast is self service. I'm not sure what it is because we always ate out. The breakfast area would always be devoid of people. While I was there, I only saw one Western couple.

The address says Level 1, but it's actually located on Level 2 (Level 1 is the 7-Eleven store on the street level). So your rooms are on Levels 3 and 4.

• Stayed May 2011