If you are looking for a resort to relax, eat great food, sit by the pool and enjoy quick service then go elsewhere.
This place is great for its purpose, with rainforest at its backdrop and sea in front, its a great place to spend few days with friends and family. The rooms are basic but the point of coming here is to spend time outside doing some kind of activity (beach, jungle trail etc). If you don't expect too much from the resort, you will return with good memories (hopefully). Go for the treehouse, they are totally value for the money. We spent 3 nights in treehouse and found it comfortable and fit for purpose.
- there are ants, but hey you are in rainforest
- the service is slow so its better to plan accordingly (i.e place an order well before your family arrives for lunch/dinner)
- there is no room service and no drinks in bar fridge
- breakfast is just about okay (below average in most cases)
- menu is limited but I would rather have a decent limited menu than too many options but n
But it has:
- the whole rustic experience to it (room, restaurant, walkways)
- totally awesome rainforest with waterfall :-), try jungle trail and you will be delighted (I can say that even after a twisted ankle and numerous fly bites)
- small but clean beach, a nice steady stream of water near the beach can keep kids busy
- natural pool, don't know if its maintained but I have seen people using it
- nice tree houses (if you can't climb stairs then you should not go for tree house - they are made on concrete stilts, sway gently which we enjoyed and you wake up to the sound of waves)
To me, this place is quite decent for families even with young kids and in fact we saw a lot of guests with young families so our toddler had a good time playing with other kids.
The Damai central is just about okay and so is the cultural village. If you have a day to spare then you can cover both in half a day.
Conclusion: If you go without any expectation then you will have a great time. Don't visit if you just want to have a resort like experience. Remember, the major attraction of this place is the rainforest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Permai Rainforest Resort is an eco-resort set in pristine Borneo rainforest located by the beach at the foot of mystical Mount Santubong, Sarawak. Carefully designed to minimize impact on the natural environment, it offers a unique rainforest experience and a variety of activities from dolphin watching to high ropes courses and guided kayaking tours. Just 40 minutes from the Kuching, its an ideal way to experience Borneo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Permai Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Permai Rainforest Hotel Kuching
- Permai Rainforest Resort Kuching, Sarawak