“Alright, but could use a refresh”
Review of Harbour View Hotel

Harbour View Hotel
Ranked #22 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This hotel is showing it's age, but kind of well-kept in general. Stayed in a deluxe room and found it to be spacious, and had the bonus of getting the river view.

I thought the room was okay, but the ensuite bathroom could have used some sprucing up. The shower fittings were looking terribly worn, and the bath tub flooded quite badly whenever I had a shower. Also, they could have given a cleaner bin, or at least lined the bin with some plastic.

Location is fantastic, walking distance to all sorts of food and pubs and malls, and the main sights around the city center. Good for a few days stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 20, 2013

The hotel is spacious and clean.it is just a normal superior room but it provides bath tub.the parking space is not enough.i had to parked quite far from the hotel.air-cond is not so cold but still cool.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I don't like staying in smoking rooms, but when you're traveling in this region it can be hard to find the perfect clean-air room. The non smoking room I was given smelled awful. Changed to another room (ironically on the smoking floor) and it was much better.

I have stayed at the hotel two times, and had a deluxe room the second time. These are bigger and looks better, but the bathrooms are worn.

A room facing the river is nice.

Wifi in room was weak, and I was only able to connect sometimes. It was very unpredictable, and I ended up sitting in the lobby.

Location is good, and the price is ok, but of all Kuching hotels and guest houses, it might be a good idea to check out what the smaller guest houses around have to offer.

If I come back to Kuching, I could stay here again, but I don't know if this would be my first choice. Nevertheless, not the last, and I had a good stay at this three star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The minute you enter the hotel, you have a sense of deja vu as you have been transported back to the earlier 80's. Typical of the settings and furnishing, one can sense that nothing much was done to modernize this place.
By the time, I enter the lift and came out to the floor where I stayed, the layout is like a maze. Each corner of the floor had rooms and it is quite compact. As I was a single traveler, I would have thought that they might give me a single Queen or even King size but I was completely wrong, I was a single bed.
The furniture settings in the room is still the 80's feel but surprised to see a flat screen tv mounted on the wall. The bathroom had a tub (why??) and the shower area was mounted a shower dispenser (which leaks).
I tried their breakfast which I had to pay an extra RM20, and felt with that kind of money, it would have been best used for outside food. It is really disappointing.
Plus point about this hotel, it is mere walking distance to the Riverside waterfront, the Brooke memorial, the heritage walks and the numerous eating shops along the vicinity. If you are looking for a hotel with no frills and just to rest for the night, this hotel will serve it's purpose...because the location is in itself a plus point!
Oh yes, the staffs are quite charming and also hospitable. They made my stay more relaxed.

Room Tip: Get the non-smoking floors...they are located higher.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

It always been a great stayed at Harbour View Hotel as the location is very strategy, near Place of Interest such as Waterfront , Padang Merdeka , Souvenir Shop , Shopping Mall & also Cineplex.

The room also clean and equiped with nice hot shower facilities.The floor also category to smoking and non smoking zone for the guest room.

But I do hope in future the price will inclusive free breakfast also. I strongly recommended the hotel for family or business trip. And I sure I will come again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nizam7801
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have to admit, I was a little freaked out with all the reviews about cockroaches in the rooms. Even had a couple of other ladies on our tour freaked out as well. Thankfully, didn't see any creepy crawly anything. We were on a higher floor so maybe that was the reason? We had a decent view of the riverfront. The rooms were teeny-tiny and very worn out. Spent a lot of time waiting around for the lifts but that is expected I guess. Their 'lounge' was just a room that could be used for whatever function you wanted -- just not a lounge. If you want a cocktail before dinner, you have to go elsewhere. The hotel is located next to the "Main Bazaar", the street with 100's of little shops selling the same tacky souvenirs. Not much else around other than a shopping mall a few blocks down. The breakfast is included and while at first it looked abundant, it didn't have a lot of great food. Omelette bar was good and filled you up. Best thing was the Nescafe coffee machine for cappuccinos.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Location fabulous, lobby good with free wifi, breakfast good. Bathrooms need revamp for this type of hotel and extra cleaning. Hallways beat up need work. Staff friendly and helpful So a reasonable stay but with a little updating could be better

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo