“First stay in Kuching, Sarawak”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Harbour View Hotel

Harbour View Hotel
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“First stay in Kuching, Sarawak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

The minute you enter the hotel, you have a sense of deja vu as you have been transported back to the earlier 80's. Typical of the settings and furnishing, one can sense that nothing much was done to modernize this place.
By the time, I enter the lift and came out to the floor where I stayed, the layout is like a maze. Each corner of the floor had rooms and it is quite compact. As I was a single traveler, I would have thought that they might give me a single Queen or even King size but I was completely wrong, I was a single bed.
The furniture settings in the room is still the 80's feel but surprised to see a flat screen tv mounted on the wall. The bathroom had a tub (why??) and the shower area was mounted a shower dispenser (which leaks).
I tried their breakfast which I had to pay an extra RM20, and felt with that kind of money, it would have been best used for outside food. It is really disappointing.
Plus point about this hotel, it is mere walking distance to the Riverside waterfront, the Brooke memorial, the heritage walks and the numerous eating shops along the vicinity. If you are looking for a hotel with no frills and just to rest for the night, this hotel will serve it's purpose...because the location is in itself a plus point!
Oh yes, the staffs are quite charming and also hospitable. They made my stay more relaxed.

Room Tip: Get the non-smoking floors...they are located higher.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

It always been a great stayed at Harbour View Hotel as the location is very strategy, near Place of Interest such as Waterfront , Padang Merdeka , Souvenir Shop , Shopping Mall & also Cineplex.

The room also clean and equiped with nice hot shower facilities.The floor also category to smoking and non smoking zone for the guest room.

But I do hope in future the price will inclusive free breakfast also. I strongly recommended the hotel for family or business trip. And I sure I will come again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nizam7801
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have to admit, I was a little freaked out with all the reviews about cockroaches in the rooms. Even had a couple of other ladies on our tour freaked out as well. Thankfully, didn't see any creepy crawly anything. We were on a higher floor so maybe that was the reason? We had a decent view of the riverfront. The rooms were teeny-tiny and very worn out. Spent a lot of time waiting around for the lifts but that is expected I guess. Their 'lounge' was just a room that could be used for whatever function you wanted -- just not a lounge. If you want a cocktail before dinner, you have to go elsewhere. The hotel is located next to the "Main Bazaar", the street with 100's of little shops selling the same tacky souvenirs. Not much else around other than a shopping mall a few blocks down. The breakfast is included and while at first it looked abundant, it didn't have a lot of great food. Omelette bar was good and filled you up. Best thing was the Nescafe coffee machine for cappuccinos.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Location fabulous, lobby good with free wifi, breakfast good. Bathrooms need revamp for this type of hotel and extra cleaning. Hallways beat up need work. Staff friendly and helpful So a reasonable stay but with a little updating could be better

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank OntarioCanuck1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Huge room with 2 queen beds. Superb location with outstanding view of Kuching river and waterfront. No comments on food as we did not have any at hotel's restaurant. A short distance walk to waterfront and surrounding malls. Had 32" LCD TV in the room with a few Astro channels. Very clean room.

(-) points : Old furniture and looks like a rundown hotel. Broken marbles in bathroom. However, I have not seen a single cockroach during my stay as per earlier comment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
sibu, malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for an official trip just 2 days ago. The check in was smooth, and we are able to check in early. But there seems to have problem with our room key. We cant access to our room everytime after we were out of the room. After many access card exchanged, the hotel had decided to change our room. But the room we were changed to was smaller, and we noticed a small cockcroach in our room at night. Basically the rooms and facilities are old, especially the toilets definitely need some refurbishment work. However, to my surprise, their food provided for our event( breakfast, tea breaks, lunches and dinners) are good, a lot better than other hotels i stayed before. Another plus point is this hotel is at the city centre, easy access to everywhere, near to waterfront, Merdeka Plaza, Star cineplex and a few famous eateries in kuching.

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

The standard room are really old and dirty. In the bathroom we found everywhere mould! And it smelled really
bad like a sewerage.
but the ultimate sin was the cockroaches everywhere in the bathroom and under the bed!
And for that we paid 195 RM for one night!!! We will never come back again!

• Stayed August 2013

Travelers are raving about these Kuching hotels