“location location location”

Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Melaka, Malaysia
“location location location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed at Harbour view for 4 nights over New Year and it was an excellent base for (re)visiting Kuching. The room was quiet, large, clean, comfortable and had a great view across the river. We did not have meals there but there is no shortage of restaurants in Kuching. Sure, the wifi (labelled "lobby") only worked in the lobby, and when it was not functioning, the staff reset the system straight away. Staff were friendly and let us use our computer in the restaurant outside of meal times.There were always taxis available if we needed to go further afield than the waterfront, main bazaar etc. The only complaint was the smell of someone else's cigarette smoke in the hallway, but the hotel cannot be blamed for other guests' lack of courtesy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaggieKuching

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

The bedroom itself was fine, if somewhat utilitarian, but the bathroom was in serious need of attention with the tiles mildewed and caulk rotting. Breakfast was good, however.

• Stayed December 2011
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

When we arrived, the lobby was fine, receptionist was polite and hospitable. Our room was at level 10 with river view, considerably spacious with a 2-seater sofa but i wouldn't sit on it as it looked too old to me.

The only new item in the room, probably the flat screen TV! Channel could be intermittently stop.

There were no tooth brush and slipper provided. Toilet with mould at the sides of bath tub and the mirror, frankly it was OK to me, the most irritated me was hair left behind the toilet and at the side of my bed! They would not do thorough clean up everyday.

TODAY, there was a long hair sticks at the hair dryer, it wasn't ours as we don't have such long hair!!!!

The shower head was fixed at the wall, the lower water outlet was mainly for bath tub, so I have to wash my hair when I have shower, otherwise there is no way I can just wash my hair! Hot water was just higher than body temperature, if someone wants to have a hot bath, no chance!

On the first night, it was heavy rain whole day, we wanted to borrow an umbrella, the one who supposed to serve us was went out to have a puff, when he returned, he looked like reluntantly lending us an umbrella, wrote a demand slip for RM60, in case we lose the umbrella, we understood it was the procedure but just his face showed unhappily!

Wifi, sometimes strong and often very weak or terminate automatically!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank csy_123

Travelers are raving about these Kuching hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed at the Harbour View for a couple of nights and had a lovely stay. The rooms are simple but perfectly fine. Nice bathroom with a good shower. Breakfast was fine. There was a small spread of bread, cakes, savoury curries etc and a chef serving eggs to order. The staff were all very pleasant. I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

The in room wifi is atrocious, ended up changing rm 3 times. My 2nd room phone line was also faulty and beyond repair. 3rd room offered had an old TV with screen discoloration.

No airport transfer offered or available even though they hv a hotel van.

In room carpet and sofa are dirty, guaranteed to cause a itch with skin contact, I had to cover it with a towel to sit on it.

The only pros are its located just beside a cinema and smacked between the old shops and new shopping belt.

• Stayed November 2011
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

My stay was not a good start, I was given a smoking room(when I have requested a non smoking room when I made the booking) upon arrival and was greeted with the strong cigarette smell when I step in the room and request to changed immediately. Was given a higher floor and was pleased with the changed, however we have problem with the wifi and time was waste trying to detect the wifi. Approached the counter lady for help, she gave a rude replied and request the guest to use the wifi at the lobby as it is the strongest there. But I requested another room change because the wifi is really terrible. 2 night of stay change room 3 times. Stay was terrible. Bathroom was dirty not a pleasant sight. Definitely not going back.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Loser4
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was more than satisfactory. The rooms were large, although we had two single beds rather than a double, despite asking for double. And we couldn't push them together! Having said that, I probably had the best night's sleep I've had in months! The bathroom was good, the shower was fine, the soap. Tea/coffee, a safe in the room, big tv set, and a fridge. Free wifi too, although it was intermittent. Great place, good location - right at one end of Chinatown and three minutes walk to the waterfront. Stay here. It's really good.

Room Tip: Ask for a river facing room. You'll get a wonderful moonrise too if you're lucky.