“An easy intro to Sarawak”

Sarawak Cultural Village
$60.00*
Sarawak Cultural Village from Kuching City
Ranked #3 of 94 things to do in Kuching
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a quick and easy half day trip from Kuching. The village is an artificial construct, but it is well organized and developed on a site close to the beach. There are some 7 different replica ethnic houses and associated buildings arranged in a loop around a smallish lake. The respective houses have a natural feel and in most cases a range of  "locals" are on hand in traditional costumes to answer questions and demonstrate a range of practices. It is possible to view certain traditional dances close up, watch original weaving or cooking and even partake of dart shooting with blowpipes. The highlight of the visit is the cultural dance performance in the village theatre. The dances are quite dynamic, colorful and sometimes even amusing. All in all this is a comfortable and pleasant day out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,589)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

As a first time visitor to Malaysia, this was a must do on my list based simply on all the reviews I had read prior to taking the trip. In short, wow! What a cool cool place to spend the day! First, the village can be reached by taxi (or by bus although I don't have a current schedule for getting out there). It will be about 55 ringgits (one way) and takes about 45 minutes or so to reach the village which is located a little bit north of Kuching in a town called Damai.
* I'm sure the public bus is a bit cheaper but unfortunately don't have a schedule.
However, I do have a schedule for the reverse trip (going from Damai to Kuching). I had been thinking, "How am I going to get back to the city?" since I didn't really read up on how to do this. Anyways, I should have had no fear to begin with. Sure enough, if you go to the check in booth on the right side as you walk in, there's a shuttle available that runs from Damai to Kuching (and vice-versa). Before leaving, I copied the schedule down for all others to see for a future visit. There are only three times total the the shuttle returns to Kuching in one day. The times are; 1:15, 3:15, and 5:15 (and is the last trip back to the city as the cultural village officially closes at 4pm). However, if you're already inside the place, you're fine.
You can catch the shuttle from the waterfront in Kuching but not 100% on where it starts and again, didn't take note of it. I think it may start somewhere near either the Hilton or Holiday Inn but again, further research would need to be done on this. (Actually, according to the pamphlet I received at the village, it says this transport picks up at The Grand Margherita Hotel and the Riverside Majestic Hotel) The times for that were; 9:15, 10:15, 12:15, and 2:15.
Anyways, the shuttle is a small minibus and look for the wording, 'Syarikat Perkhidmatan Pengangkutan Setiakawan' on the side. (Haha, I know it's a long set of words but this is it!)
The one way fare is only 10 ringgits (much cheaper than my one way out there by cab).

Anyways, onto the actual village. The place was awesome and gives one a true feel of the different groups of people that live in and throughout this region. At the entrance you also get a 'passport' that is more like a little information pamphlet and tells one about the different groups. There's also an area where you can get 'stamps' from the different places that you visit along the way in the village. I will not go into further detail since it's really something one has to experience for themselves but say that it was a really cool place to go. The cultural show was excellent and a great way to finish off the day. It felt a little cooler since it was not jam packed with lots of foreigners and actually, many of the visitors were Malays and only saw a short handful of western visitors.
There's also a restaurant one can eat at if waiting for the cultural show to start, and a souvenir shop at the front entrance area.
* A visiting tip, bring an umbrella in case there is a rain shower while there. It rained a little bit in the late afternoon when I was there.
* Finally, the entrance fee for the cultural village is 60 ringgits but my cab driver bought it for me at a hotel just before arriving at the village and it was only 55 ringgits then.
Anyways, enjoy this place please. It was alot if fun for me!

4  Thank Jeff206
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Nice location - and you can combine with a stroll along the beach. We travelled by public bus which we would recommend as works out more economical and had a good half day looking around. But it's not cheap and we would put other attractions higher on our to do list eg. Bako National Park and Semongok.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We (2 adults and 2 kids aged 8 & 14) spent about 4 hours at the Cultural Village. It is located directly across the road from Damai Beach Resort where we were staying, so access could not have been easier.

The place is huge, we real size Malay, Chinese, Iban, Orang Ulu, etc homes. Each house has people dressed in traditional clothes, doing activities such as cooking, making baskets etc. The staff were very happy to chat abut what they were doing and the traditional cultures. As with many Sarawakian's the staff are supremely polite and so unless you ask a question etc they will not push themselves on you. You can buy what they are making at very cheap prices. We bought some Sago pancakes, cakes, etc which were terrific. We also bought some hand made sounvenirs.

The show was a real treat!

We had a lovely time

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Staff could not have cared less about those visiting. Very much into their own conversations, did not engage at all unless asked a question. We arrived inbetween "show times" and activities. Perhaps it would have been a different experience had we been able to see something. Do your homework and make sure you go at the right time. Better yet, there is a pricey cultural experience about an hour out of town, we enjoyed very much. Sorry I cannot remember the name.