“Ok boat ride around islands, nothing to see underwater” 2 of 5 bubbles

Aquabase
Auckland, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Ok boat ride around islands, nothing to see underwater”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were staying at the resort next door and thought this would be a nice ride around the islands and snorkel with some tropical fish.... We were told to show up at half past eight, which we did, to find the place completely locked up. Half an hour later, the guide arrived and we signed some waivers, but there was no sign of any boat... About an hour and a half later, the boat showed up, a simple runabout with sputtering engines. We went out to the islands, paid a national park fee and what also what appeared to be a small gratuity to the locals. We then spent a few hours snorkelling in terrible visibility around barren, dirty rocks, dead or dying coral and spiny sea urchins. While it was nice to see the islands, the snorkelling was a total let-down, and I would not return.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Juliet S

Amed
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Aquabase- the worse management, do not risk your live”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I came to Aquabase in July, stayed there 10 days. On the last trip to Katori Maru manager- Eng and her DMT- Richard, get a fish cage from the bottom of the sea with some dead fish. They put this cage couple of week before to get some fish. They did that during diving trip !!!!! When I took a picture of cage and fish they started shouting at me and they said they throw me to the see and leave me there. It was 20 km from the shore!!!!!! They were afraid that someone else will see these pictures and they will be in trouble.
Also they do not change filters in air compressor, that is why air is contaminated. You can see it when you open tank and put your hand close to valve. Your hand will be black!!!!!!!
This is oil from compressor!!!! Very bad for your lungs.
Worse company I was diving with ( I have around 1200 dives)

Visited July 2013