“home away from home”

Ranked #10 of 81 Kuching B&B and Inns
Manhester
“home away from home”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Loved this homely little guest house. Exceptionally clean with the greatest feel to it. Very modern inside with great extra features. Reception staff go above and beyond to make your stay in Kutching and onward travel easy and relaxing. 10/10

Room Tip: they are all perfectly clean and modern and GREAT
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
PatriciaNeita, Manager at Batu Bata Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello there Christian and Tim! Thank you for taking your time to a write a review on us. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable and a comfortable stay here at Batu Bata Guesthouse. I have shared your comments to our staff and we appreciate it so much. Thank you for coming back again after your trip to Sabah and we look forward to welcome you here again in the future! We wish you guys all the best for your travelling adventures and good luck.
Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hi..
Nazrul here.
Our first time stay on kuching was fantastic at this lovely guesthouse. The place is in the very strategic place where it's near to bus stop, restaurant, waterfront, museums and etc. The helpful staff is friendly and warm. A cute balcony in the back, incredibly sweet. Indo cafe and tea always to grabs. The small smart rooms are clean and without bathroom, also window. Can therefore be a little warm like sauna during the night, but if this bothers you, spring for an a/c room!. I would definitely recommend my friends and family's back home to come here as i know. I would the second time around I'll come to kuching. And also choose a/c room!

Nazrul and lovely wife

• Stayed March 2013
PatriciaNeita, Manager at Batu Bata Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hi there Mr. Nazrul and wife! Thank you for reviewing you recent stay here at Batu Bata Guesthouse. It is a pleasure for us that you have chosen our place for your first time trip here to Kuching. Your feedback on our place is truly appreciated that you liked the amenities we have here.
Thank you also for the lovely and cute small turtle gift when you left, it is now a decor we put on our reception counter. :) We hope to see the both of you again, goodluck on becoming new parents soon and wishing you all the best! :))
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My siblings’ and I were in Sarawak for the first time. The first stay in Kuching was fantastic at this lovely Batu Bata Guesthouse. The place is in the very strategic place where it’s near to bus stop, restaurants, waterfront, museums and etc. We stayed for 4D3N and really enjoyed our stay. We had double room and 2 dorm beds. The rooms are clean and comfortable even though small. Especially the dorm… The guesthouse deco was simple and nice with warm & calm theme. It’s so relaxing at the small n cute balcony and the rest place. The staffs there were superb friendly, nice and helpful too. They are always around to help and chit chat with us, guide us to the places to visit and etc.It is difficult to find words for their place. It’s kind of feel like it’s our home far from our home. We had a really good time at the Guesthouse. Overall a great place with great people. I would recommend it to anyone, very happy with my stay. A++

I really hope to visit them again sometime in the future.

Wish them all good luck!! 

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Achunitha
PatriciaNeita, Manager at Batu Bata Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hello there you guys. What a wonderful and detailed review you have for us here.. Thank you so much! We are very happy and pleased to know that our place made your first trip to Sarawak a good one. We highly appreciate that you took much interest on our decor and the balcony.. I have shared your comments with my team here, we couldn't agree more that you 4 siblings are so sweet and friendly as well. Glad that you find our place a strategic area to all easy access walking distance place to eat, to the museum and etc.
Your lovely remarks will always be in my heart and looking forward to see you guys again! Wishing you all the best with your career and undertakings from all of us here at Batu Bata Guesthouse, Kuching.
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Our first stay on Borneo was fantastic at this lovely Guesthouse. The helpfull staff is friendly and warm. The small smart rooms are clean and without bathroom. But shared bathroom is clean and I dare say that they have the best showers in Kuching. Breakfast is included and also coffee and tea. Location is perfect. Right next to 7/11 on Jln Carpenter.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven V
Hello there..! Thank you for your lovely review. It is pleasure to have you and your wife as our guests here. We are delighted to know that you love our showers and most of all had an enjoyable stay with us. We value your comments and looking forward to see you again.

We wish you, and you partner all the best and good luck in all your travelling adventures and undertakings. Regards from all of us here at Batu Bata Guesthouse.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Brand spankin' new. Batu Batu is a great guesthouse about half a block down from its sister guesthouse Mr. D's B&B.

Cozy dark decor, computer with fast Internet for the renting, a cute balcony in the back, incredibly sweet and friendly staff, Indo coffee and tea always up for grabs. Showers are shared but there are plenty and they're spotless. Hot-warm water, a luxury when backpacking. Rooms were simple but spotless. Blankets and towels supplied (another rarity). A great deal for what you get - $15 bucks for a double bed and I believe for the dorms it's $5-6 or something. Location is right between Chinatown and India street, very close to waterfront and a mall around the corner if you have the need.

Great place, I wish them luck in what seems to be a growing city.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank JoJongsma
PatriciaNeita, Manager at Batu Bata Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hi there Alyssa! Thank you for your lovely review..! It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We appreciate it so much for choosing us as your accommodation and included us into your travelling experience. Hope that you have arrive your next destination to Cambodia safely!
Looking forward to see you again and good luck in your career and all your undertakings.. See you again and take care!
Bucks UK
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for what was, in the end, about a week in Feb 2013.
This place is owned by the same guy that owns Mr D's down the road (featured in LP and other guides)
Both he and his family and staff that look after the place were so friendly and helpful; they made what would have been an enjoyable trip into something that felt very special and memorable
The beds are very comfy, all rooms have shared showers but special attention has been paid to them - they are huge waterfall style showers - ones you would normally find in expensive boutique hotels :)
Fan rooms don't have windows (something that you find in most Malaysian city hotels) and can therefore be a little warm during the night - but if this bothers you, spring for an a/c room!
The location is pretty spot on being in the middle of China town and one street back from the waterfront
All in all if (when!) we return to Kuching this will be the place we stay - thank you Mr Has and Patricia!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PatriciaNeita, Manager at Batu Bata Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Hi there Anna and Matt! Wow your review is amazing..thank you so much for that. So glad thay both of you liked our place. It is a pleasure for us as a team here to know that we did a good job making your stay a good one here in Kuching. We will improve on what that is weak, and provide the best in our services.
We will miss you and really looking forward to see you and Matt again. Thank you again for having us as a part of your travelling journey. Wishing the both of you good luck and all the best! From Mr. Has, me and our team.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I actually looked for a long time before finding this place and trust me if you want to stay in Kuching and you are on a certain budget you can't go wrong. The location which is situated just at the heart of Kuching is one of the A+ point. You can found it hiding just in between the old rustic shops here at Chinatown Carpenter Street. Kopitiams (typical chinese eating joints), antique shops selling unique finds, museums, and even the latest shopping mall are all just withing walking distance. How more strategic can this place be? :D
I can describe the owner and the staff of this place with one word- AMAZING. They are passionate about making sure you are happy with your stay and go out of their way to ensure it. You'll never feel homesick as they'll treat you as part as their very own extended family. One evening, the owner even brought me for dinner and told me all that I need to know bout this majestic city. And God knows how I, as a tourist appreciated that.
I was in Kuching for 3 nights and i was glad that I have chosen this place. My room was incredibly cozy with decorations that can only be found in Sarawak. I would definitely recommend my friends and family back home to come here as I know I would the second time around I'll come to Kuching.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
PatriciaNeita, Manager at Batu Bata Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hello Ms. Anne! Thank your for your lovely review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and also find the suroundings more lively than you've expected. We are more than happy to meet a wonderful and cheerful guest like you and we appreciate it that you find this place suitable for everyone. Thank you for joining us for dinner and we are looking forward to see you here again soon. All the best in your journey to discover the other side of Malaysia that you have never been to! Take care!