“For those who enjoy good challenge”
Review of Mount Santubong

Ranked #9 of 89 things to do in Kuching
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“For those who enjoy good challenge”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have never climbed anything like this so it was a lot of fun and a good challenge.There were a lot of butterflies, saw a waterfall where you can have a rest for a while. It was quite soothing. I didn't get to the top as it was approaching dark around 2pm, but I'll certainly be back next attempt to finish.

I went through an unofficial entrance (Seafood restaurant) and was charged 8RM. However I walked out via a 'hut' which is actually the Park's entrance that only charges 3RM, and it was a 2 minute walk from the Seafood restaurant. The officials also informed me that if anyone were to go missing, the private companies wouldn't necessarily go out and search people. And I'm sure the money charged wouldn't go towards the forest. So not only it's cheaper but much safer. Look out for the little Sarawak Forestry official sign on the road, next to the white shed.

Also bring lots of water. There's a restaurant nearby but very expensive.

1 Thank ChristineLolanita

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Mystical Santubong”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hiking the trails of Santubong Mountain, which is only a short distance from Sarawak's capital, Kuching, allows visitors to experience the tropical rainforest firsthand. The mountain can be accessed through Permai Rainforest or through the recently opened Forest Department entrances.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank AnnArmstrogn
Kuching, Malaysia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I actually like this a lot. I would suggest to go mountain climbing here. It's clean and cool and at the top you can have a spectacular view of the Damai beach which is very near.

1 Thank est201
Moreton Bay Region, Australia
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Strenous fun walk with lots of ladders”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

There are three entrances and a couple of unofficial entrances. Two entrances are a private company and cost $8rm and one is the forestry entrance near entrance 1 costs foreigner 20rm local 10rm. The money goes to the forestry. To walk from entrance 1 to 2 takes 5 minutes. To get from entrance 1 to 3 takes 40 minutes. I did entrance 3 bukit puteri. Took me 2 and a half hours to get to the top. I did plenty of stops and took photos of all the ladders. I left at 7.00am from damai central and to point 3 at 7.40am and got to the top at 10.20am. I couldnt see anything at the top due to clouds. I walked back via the pathway from entrance 1 and included the jungle trail. I used 2 litres of water to get to the top. Going down is so much easier and you dont need as much water. The jungle trail was good as it included a long windy suspension bridge and some falls. I refilled my water bottle at the falls. I finished the whole lot of the walk at 2.20pm. Be careful that if you use the private entrance and come back via checkpoint 2 the forestry entrance you could be charged additional 20rm on the way out. I stayed overnight at damai central in bb bunkers hostel before doing the walk to get an early start. Had the whole hostel to myself both nights. I got from kuching using local bus k15 and got off at santubong village. The bus left 20 minutes early then a guy game and my pack a lift the remaining 4km. To get back i got the shuttle from damai beach tourist resort at 9.15am. 12 rm. the one leaving the cultural centre was leaving at 1.15pm. I also went for a walk through permai rainforest resort and did the unguided trails and saw a few of the black monkeys close to their office. There is a 3rm entry fee.

Singapore, Singapore
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“It's steep most of the time, not for the faint hearted”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The climb although just a day climb, there are many steep routes up and down. If you have knee problems like me, going up uses a lot of arm strengths to pull your body up using the ropes but going down was a killer, it really hurts my knees. A good test for physical strength. View from the peak was ordinary if you have climbed other others in India, Philippines and China. I would rate it as a average experience.

Visited May 2013