“Hiking to a rainfall”
Review of Mount Santubong

Ranked #9 of 93 things to do in Kuching
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The hike is strenuous but worth it to get to a 5-tier waterfall! Be aware of the awful rude woman and her family who run a seafood restaurant at the hiking entrance. They have created a fence and try and make visitors pay to get into the park. DON'T be fooled! They are NOT representatives of the forestry department and there is NO FEE TO PARK OR GET IN the park, but she is aggressive and will threaten to call the police. Go ahead and call them, they are aware of her and are working with the new forestry management to stop her.

6  Thank arwensmom

Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you want a good view of the south china sea and just want to burn a few hundred calories I highly recommend this climb.

Mind you its not easy !!!! You will have bruises and sores after you come down from this mountain .

Its definitely not for anyone below 15

1  Thank jameskwl
Reviewed October 2, 2012

It is a pretty tough trip. In our travelguide, it was described as a "jungle trek for more adventerous walkers" which was misleading, it is in fact hard. It took us almost 4 and a half hours to get up there, we did minor breaks at the waterfall and some viewpoints, probably those summed up to 30-40 minutes. Still, I would recommend to get in early to make sure one has enough time to be out before it gets dark.
Overall, I am surely not in the best physical shape, since I don't work out, but saw it as a good challenge, was glad doing it and I'm proud of having it accomplished. But the last kilometer or two, when it gets up steeply, I think it's too dangerous. Going up I didn't notice, but going down and looking back now, with all the rope ladders, that were broken in some places forcing you to step on roots you really had to be very careful where to place your steps, and can't afford to make a mistake. If you're not experienced with hiking surroundings like this, don't go there. Also, I doubt that its reasonable to go in there alone in any case.
Had we had better information about it, we would have decided we were too unexperienced for trying a trek like this in the middle of nowhere (we, too, only ,met 2 other people, so you're really on your own in there). If you're confident you know what you're doing it's an exciting hike, im happy I made it but wouldn't do it again.

1  Thank JosyLee
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am a reasonably fit 60 year old and this is the toughest walk I have done. 3 kilometres up to climb 840m took 3 hours and the same going down. The last kilometre you go from one rope ladder to the next which really tested my upper body strength.
Views are great and it is an excellent challenge but not for average fitness or fainthearted. Also wear good boots and take plenty of water . It was 35 degrees and I drank over 4 litres.

3  Thank annerob10
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I hiked Mt. Santubong at the end of August, in the middle of the week. It took me about 6 hours total (up and down, including a long break at the top and a couple of dips in the waterfall). The only other people I saw the whole time was a lone French guy, and a group of Malaysian teachers. Other than that, I had the whole mountain to myself.

From what I understand, there are two main access points to climb to the summit. Coming from Kuching, the first one is Bukit Puteri (Princess Hill), and the other is The Green Paradise Cafe (where I started). If you start at Bukit Puteri, apparently it's free, but from the Green Paradise Cafe, they charge you a fee of 8 ringgit (not a big deal, but more than free). They have a locked gate, so that only people that pay the fee can enter/exit at the cafe.

I had planned to start at Bukit Puteri, but the shuttle driver said I should start at the cafe. His English wasn't very good, so I didn't know why he was suggesting it, but possibly he gets a cut from the cafe for everyone he drops off there (just a guess). Anyways, I would recommend starting at Bukit Puteri, but either on the way up or the way down, do a side-trip onto the Green Paradise Cafe trail (maybe 10-15 minute walk) to the waterfall, so you can go in for a dip.

Whichever route you choose, you're doing a lot of very steep hiking, with a few sections of rope ladders. It's a really nice hike, though, and the views from the top are outstanding!

I think I read somewhere that the clouds often move in in the early afternoon, and the day I did it, I got to the top a little after 1pm, and the clouds were indeed slowly moving in. I started hiking about 10am, and so if you can start earlier, you might increase your chances of having good views.

I saw several frogs, lizards and I almost stepped on a huge snake. It was just sitting in the middle of the trail, and I guess I surprised it. It was almost 2 metres long (maybe 5 feet), but when it noticed me, it took off like a rocket into the bush. I met an American guy during my stay in Kuching who said he'd seen proboscis monkeys at the top of Santubong, so you might get lucky.

I caught a shuttle from Kuching (I paid 10 ringgit). I just went to the desk at the Grand Margherita Hotel (near the east end of the riverfront) and they had the shuttle driver come talk to me. On the way back to the city, I flagged down a bus (Citylink, I think) and they wanted 10 ringgit to get back to the city. I'm sure that was going straight into the driver's pocket, as the bus fare should only be 4 or 5 ringgit, but my alternative was to wait an hour or so for the shuttle and pay 10 ringgit anyways.

If you're in pretty good shape and love hiking, I highly recommend Mt. Santubong, but make sure you've got lots of water and some snacks, as it's quite a workout.

8  Thank MasakatsuAgatsu