“Needs Uplift!”

Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Needs Uplift!”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stayed at the 3-bedroom apartment with friends. Basically the master bedroom has a nice view with river view and with a bathroom ensuite, the second bedroom has a queen bed, but with glass door via living room, so there may not be that much privacy.. The other room has one super single bed. And these two rooms have a common bathroom. There is also a powder room on top of 2 bathrooms.

The kitchenette has a microwave and a kettle, but it was not well equipped with plates or silverwares. Only cups for coffees were available.

One of our friends requested for a baby cot, and the hotel staff said it was on the way. We had to call 3 times after waited for so long, only to be told on the 4th call that they did not have the baby cot..

I would say the service needs a lot of improvement. The housekeeping did not clean up the room well, and not all the towels were changed.

This place needs some uplift as it is very dated... Our room beddings still use those printed quilt which were already faded and it looks like it was from the early 90's...

On the plus side, parking are free, our suite are spacious, and the hotel is at a good location.

Will I come back again? Only if they do some uplifting... the hotel actually has potential.

Room Tip: Room with river view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EllyN_08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Indonesian first
perth
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I have stayed here twice now, Both times the staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help a single female traveller,the bed was large and comfortable ,bathrooms adequate. room service Fabulous and housekeeping staff were excellent, rooms are serviced daily,sadly the pool area was under reconstrucion on my last visit . On my first visit there had been a mixup with my room so I was given an upgrade to the most beautiful room at no extra cost, I was warmly welcomed back on my second trip and made to feel a valued guest/friend, I lingered long over my breakfast and my coffee was refilled almost as soon as I finished,Overall I would have no hesitation reccomending this hotel to any of my friends

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sandii64
Canberra
Reviewed February 10, 2012

A very big mistake I've ever made, stayed for 10days in a 2 bedrooms apartment suite. The moment we walked in the lobby..... WOW.... Splendid, awesome but it all changed the moment we walked to our room... Out the lift.... Carpet was shabby and dirty...... It just changed our mood totally, by the time we walked in our room, I was really choked by the smell and upset with the cleanliness of the room, we requested to change room, our request quickly attended to but the other room was no better but worse with ants all around... We took the first room offered provided it will be cleaned. Hotel staffs agreed. ( not trying to sound fussy but this is not my first time in Kuching, I'm there every year but normally stayed at Riverside Majestic, I should have stay at Riverside Majestic again.) The rates we're offered was more than $300/ pnite that was supposed to include breakfast, when we went for breakfast ( me, my husband and my 9 years old son), my son was charged $29/++ for buffet bfst ( he only ate a croissant and ordered an ice milo for an additional $8.00++ ) . We were told the bfst included was only for 2 person. The room we booked was a 2 bedroom apartment suites for 4 person and the cfmn we got back was " rates included breakfast". ????????????. The cleanliness of the room is nil, the bathroom..terrible...the kitchen stinks...I'm hoping the management do something and don't mislead guests with your 5 or 6 star ratings and also your lobby ( that's what we said ' never judge the book from it's cover"). I will never ever stay there anymore.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Norliza B

Travelers are raving about these Kuching hotels

Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel is located in a site of an older building which once housed a hotel and office. Located within the older part of Kuching City, the hotel 's location is ideal for those who wish to explore the museum, the heritage buildings and the waterfront which are just a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Room facing the filed(Padang)
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank James N
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Got a good rate from hrs.com, RM120 nett / night with breakfast for 4 pax for a standard room. Room is quite small, and it's facing a carpark. I didn't expect much as normally rooms up on promo do not offer any view. Hotel looks good grand from the lobby. Breakfast is decent. Love the location, really convenient 5mins drive to Jalan Main Bazaar where u can get all the souvenirs at reasonable price. 5mins drive to Waterfront where u can take a river cruise. You can walk to these places too, just that I'm travelling with 2 young children so I drove. Hotel is just next door to Sarawak Musuem. Great seafood foodcourt at TopSpot, abt 10 mins drive from hotel. I would consider staying at this hotel again for this promo rate.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is an older style property. We stayed in a superior room which had been renovated and faced onto the Pedang (park). The bed room was a decent size but the bathroom was quite small and just contained a shower. The buffet breakfast was OK but nothing special. There is a large,very English style pub on the second floor but there were no patrons on the three nights we were there.The hotel also has an Italian restaurant. It also has apparently has a pool but it was under renovation. We suspect that it had been under renovation for quite some. The staff are friendly and quite helpful.
The Hotel is a 15 to 20 minute walk to the river where all the 'action' is in Kuching so it is not in a particularly good location. It is also advertised as a 5 star hotel which it is not. Three star would be more accurate.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room over looking the park
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2011

It was probably ranked 5 stars when it first opened, but it is now far behind the other hotels. It is really old and definitely not attractive enough.

I stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment. The beds were okay, the TVs were from the past century - one small one in the living room and one equally small one in the master bedroom, and the architectural design of one of the rooms was just weird as there was a deep corner which leaves a lot to imagination for those who are easily scared.

The room service was really weird and horrible. The first day we didn't get bath mats. We just made do and the second day, they provided the bath mats, replaced SOME towels and left SOME used towels hanging around. From the third day onwards, the bath mats were removed and never came again and not all towels were replaced.

There's a kitchen in the apartment, but only with microwave oven and kettle. No stove.
One set of sofa sitting for 4 people, even though the apartment accommodates 6 people.
One dining table with seats for 6.
2 bathrooms + 1 toilet (means without bathing facilities)

Breakfast had a narrow range of selection, and mainly Malaysian food provided. Not ideal for Westerners used to the bacon and eggs breakfast.

My transportation was all provided for but I can see that the location of the hotel was not all that ideal as there really isn't any convenient stores or shopping malls nearby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends