We just got back from spending 4 days at Kuching, Sarawak. We decided to stay away from the city and went about 1 hour out of the city to Damai Beach Resort. This is what Sarawak was like 20 years ago...very quiet, relaxing, and laidback. We went in the middle of the week, from Tuesday to Friday and the hotel was very quiet although I'm told that this hotel really fills up on the weekends.
The hotel itself is beautiful. There are 2 major wings to the resort. The main wing is by the beach and there's a hilltop wing up on the hill overlooking Damai Beach and Santubong mountain. We chose the quieter hilltop wing with a beautiful view of the South China Sea as well as Santubong mountain. The rooms are extremely large and very clean. The rooms all have modern amenities and we had complementary coffe, tea, and water replenished everyday. We also had a mini fridge and a safe for our valuables. The resort itself has 3 restarurants, 2 poolside cafes, and a bar. There's also a convenience store, 2 souvenir stores, and a travel agency. There's a hotel shuttle that runs to and from the hilltop wing to the main wing and the shuttle is only a phone call away. They are very prompt at picking you up once you call for them. We mainly walked up and down the hill for exercise and to enjoy the scenery.
The restaurants serve mainly local food but they do have western fare as well. The food is of good quality and very reasonable. Our package included a buffet breakfast and we usually filled up on breakfast so that we didn't need lunch and could focus on activities during the day. The servers at the restaurants are very accomodating and friendly but also very slow.But hey, you're in Malaysia on holiday, what's the hurry. Cafe Satang was where the breakfast was served. It's their main food and beverage outlet. They serve local as well as western fare. Breakfasts were awesome with a wide variety of local, continental, and American food to choose from. They had an omelette station as well Teh Tarik, which is local "pulled" tea. Treez was another restaurant we visited and they serve mainly local food. Treez is situated halfway up the hill among the foliage (hence the name) and the food they served was delicious. We enjoyed many of the local Malay dishes, especially satay. On our last night, we indulged in a seafood feast at the Mango Tree Pavilion. There, you could choose your choice of lobster, prawns, fish, clams, or crab and have the restaurant prepare it the way you want. Seafood is charged market price and ends up being reasonable and delicious.
There are 2 pools at the resort. The main pool is at the main wing by the beach. This pool is more popular with the families because of it's close proximity to the beach. We prefered the hilltop pool near our room. This pool is alot quieter and, because it is on the hilltop, enjoyed expensive views of the South China Sea. This infinity pool has a waterfall feature and a poolside terrace with snack food and drinks.
There are daily acitivities at the hotel that you might want to participate in, for example, dart blowing, kite making, or sarong folding. There are tours while in Kuching that you might choose to enjoy. We decidedon the orang utan and Bidayuh Longhouse tour. The Bidayuhs are one of the indigenous people of Sarawak who still live in longhouses. There are also the orang ulu and the ibans. Sarawak is home to the orang utan and we saw these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat in the jungles of Sarawak. There is also Kuching city with it's museums and the famous night market on the weekends. Kuching city itself lies along the river and it's nice to take a stroll along the boardwalk.
I would recommend Damai Beach Resort to anyone wanting to travel to Kuching. The only drawback about the resort is that it is rather far out of the city but the hotel provides shuttle service to Kuching city for RM 20 return and RM 10 return for children.
We would stay at Damai Beach Resort again because of the friendly service and clean, huge rooms and views.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between the panoramic South China Sea and legendary Mount Santubong, Damai Beach Resort offers wide ranges of accommodation & facilities to suit every holiday makers needs. Main swimming pool for adults & kids is ideally located at the main building while another pool, secluded on the Hilltop has a breathtaking view of both the mountain and the sea. 5 F&B Outlets, convenient shop, souvenir shop, Tour Agent counter, Recreation Centre, Business Centre, Spa & Wellness, Shuttle service are some of facilities offered. Catering & Events caters from small meeting to large conference besides private parties and Weddings & other special moments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Fastbooking, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Damai Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Damai Beach Hotel Kuching
- Damai Beach Kuching
- Holiday Inn Kuching
- Damai Beach Resort Kuching, Sarawak